• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Geovid Pro or Swaroviski EL Range Finding Binos

dldavis

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
San Antonio,Texas
I am trying to decide between the Leica Geovid Pro 10x42 and the Swarovski EL 10x42 bino range finders? I will be using these for shooting and hunting.

The optic quality is fantastic on the Swarovski but the Leica have Applied ballistics software already built in. I am not a current user of Applied Ballistics currently using Hornady 4DOF .

Both have Bluetooth and I assume will connect to a Kestrel?

I think the Lecia may be better for shooting?

Does anyone have experience with these? I welcome your thoughts.
Thanks

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
I recently bought the EL Range TA 10x42 (I already have SIG 6K 8x32 and SIG 8K).

The EL Range TA is surprisingly fast for returning distance.

As far as ballistics, it has its own in-house solver. It is a bit more "black box" than AB, though. You use a phone app to create profile with the basic info such as BC, MV, sight height. This is used by the solver along with the on-board temperature and air pressure sensors to provide the drop.

I haven't had a chance to really true up the solver with my various guns, but based on initial testing, it does seem to vary by about a tenth of a MIL out to 600 yards when comparing what it gives me in the HUD vs my Kestrel 5700 using the same profile data.

I was considering the Geovid Pro, but I never got a chance to ever lay my hands on one in a range setting. I decided to risk it on the EL Range TA because I kind of already knew what I was getting based on other folks' experience with them.

I went with the EL TA’s. I had looked at some pro 8x32 and 10x32 earlier this year (before the 42’s came out) and thought they were nice overall. The store let me take them outside and spend some time with them. The edge to edge clarity was just ok (I’d say probably 80% of FOV was clear) but the rolling ball effect was pretty bad from being used to the flat field of Swarovski. The DOF also wasn’t great (although not terrible), I was adjusting the focus knobs quite a bit over different distances. The color hue between the barrels was very well controlled and in the limited time I spent with them I couldn’t really see anything but 20 minutes between two units isn’t exactly in depth testing.

Fast forward a few months, the 42’s came out but the pros in general had been out long enough in users hands for feedback to start popping up, there were plenty of complaints about software and programming issues with the pros and just not working great in general. I decided I’d get the 2022 Geovid R’s instead and just continue to run a kestrel for all ballistics. I also ordered some Ultravid HD+ at the same time that were on sale. I got them and both units were defective out of the box, terrible QC at Leica. The Geovids had a crack/chip on one of the left internal lenses and debris inside the left barrel objective lens as well. I spent some time with them on a tripod checking them out and after 15 minutes or so I’d have a headache from the eye fatigue from the different color hues of the two barrels. It has hard to notice until I looked through each barrel individually enough on white clouds to see a color difference.

I debated giving the pros a try after sending them back but ultimately got the EL TA’s and they have been amazing as you’d expect from swaro glass. The glass is absolutely crisp edge to edge, and the resolution and colors blows away the Leicas. I actually use them for wildlife viewing more than anything and sold my NL’s shortly after getting them because I just didn’t need both at that point. So far the shooting I’ve done the ballistics line up so it obviously works in that regard. The Swaros will also hold 3 profiles on the unit at once whereas the Leicas only hold 1.

Contrary to the other reply, yes the TA’s have ballistics, onboard atmospherics, and connects with Bluetooth to my phone.

Reactions: dldavis
I’ve got a pair of Leica 3200 10x42 for sale if you’re interested. They lived on a tripod all their life for PRS matches. Light use in great condition.

I think the laser is stronger on the Leica vs swaro’s both are decent tho. I’ve hit nonreflective targets past 2500 yards occasionally 3000 yards. On reflective targets 3000 plus easy.

Glass is so close when I compared them side-by-side, it was splitting hairs to my eyes.

I know leica came out with a new app I think it’s called leica ballistics… Always got my dope from a kestrel

Last edited: