• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

leica geovid vs. swarovski rangefinder

264win

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    hope im not beating a dead horse here. i would really like some input on the geovid and swarovski rangefinders from people who have experience with them . i know its not exactly apples to apples . but ive narrowed it down to these two . ive heard that the leica are more prone to breaking / failure , ive also heard people disatisfied with their customer service . ive used both in the field , and really like the leica glass , and the swaro laser . i dont like the swaros large reticle . . id appreciate opinions from people who have used one or both , any other factors i should consider for , lr hunting and target shooting . 0 - 1400 yds . thanks adam

Re: leica geovid vs. swarovski rangefinder

I've owned both units in the past. It depends on what you need to do. If you hunt I would go with the geovid. If you are just ranging things to shoot like rocks, steel targets etc. the swaro is probably the way to go. It will go a bit farther. Like you stated the reticle is oversized but it works well. The earlier Leica geovids had a few bugs in them but as of late they seem to have gotten a handle on it.

I have a pair of the 10X Geovids and with perfect conditions it will get to 1320 , depending on conditions and the battery the effective range is about 7 - 900 yds .
    The Swaro that I played with would range out to 1900 and 12 - 1300 yds respectively in similar conditions .
    Got to handle the Zeiss just a bit last month and the ranging capability's were similar to the Swaro . They were a bit heavier / bulkier than My Geovids .
    If I was doing it again I'd be looking at the Swaro if all I needed was a range finder or the Zeiss if looking at bino's

thanks for the help . i have handled the zeiss rangefinder and like the swaro better . and the zeiss binos are out of my budget @ 2500-3000 $
    the swaro unit i got to use went out 1500-2000 yds easily on large targets is this normal or uncommon ?

The 3 Swaro's that I have played with all worked the same . Can't say they all do but the ones in my sample did .

well i was hopeing everyone would say the leica was great , i used a fluke . the 2 in one idea is cool but it looks like the swaro will serve me best . thanks all. adam