• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Geovid

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So I am thinking of selling or trading in a bunch of fine optics for a 10x42 Leica Geovid. Should I do it?

The way I figure, I would have to get rid of:

Swarovski 10x42 SLC binos with strap, tripod mount and case
Zeiss 8x30 Dialyt with case
Zeiss 8x25 with case
Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 Mil Dot scope

Should I do it? I already have a Leica 1200 LRF. The Geovids would be nice, but I am looking at reducing my other items. Do I need them, probably not, but its still nice having them?

Suggestions? SWFA has a trade in program. Has anyone tried it or am I better off sell this on private party?

Re: Leica Geovid

The Leica Geovids are hands down the absolute best money I've ever spent on sporting equipment! I'd suggest you sale your optics on your own, because just like trading in a vehicle, you'll take a big hit turning them into a dealer. Sure it's convenient, but I'd much rather have the money in my pocket than theirs.

If and when you get ready to buy, I'd suggest you contact Doug at Cameraland, because he'll treat you right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Leica Geovids are hands down the absolute best money I've ever spent on sporting equipment! </div></div>

+100

IMO, you'll love the Geovid, however, from the list of optics you propose to sell I would suggest that you keep the Zeiss 8x25 as it is a very nice glass and extremely handy. A high quality pocket binocular is a useful tool

Private sale would net you more, a mix might be more doable.
Def keep 1 small binoc, sell RF too, with Geovids you won't need it. Unless, like me, sometimes your kit is a spotter/RF.

I've had the 10X42 Geovids for 4-5 yrs now. If buying again I might go 8X42 for easier free hold, but mount/brace and I'm glad I didn't.

The laser rangefinder isn't a Swaro, but within a 1.2K shooting envelope it's fine and unaffected by the ARDs. Absolutely H2O proof, terrific optics, very rugged. Surprising battery life, totally trouble free, associates prefer Leica reliability too.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=30780

I can't believe the price now, bought mine new shipped for just under $1500.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but they were $1549 NIB from sportoptics.com back in Sept '05. I was hesitant to buy them, but Zak Smith told me that that was a superb buy I wouldn't regret, so I pulled the trigger on them.
When the line was upgraded to HD a few years back deals were there to be had, several shooters on this forum took advantage of it I'm sure. Leica offered discount coupons for the older models.
In all that time, hauling them around in all kinds of weather, they still look brand new and function perfectly. And I still have not lost either of the Sunguard Killflash ARDs (size 6?) that were originally designed to be used inside flip up scope caps.

Fortunate to get my Geovids for $1400 & if lost, I'd buy another for $2000 following day. Great tool to own.

Leica geovids are nice, but I would suggest also looking at the Zeiss binoc rangefinders...I had a choice of either, compared them side to side and went with Zeiss. But it comes down to preference.

Bought a used pair on here last year.....actually traded my Zeiss LRF and cash for them and then sold my binoculars. Love them. Depends on your needs. I needed good glass and ranging to about 1000 for my hunting and steel shooting. They are great within that range. Though they have given me good readings in the 1400 yd range in the right conditions you will want to go another route if you need reliable ranging past 1000 in my experience. Mine are non HD and they show up used on here in perfect condition for $1500. The non HD have excellent glass and resolution and I have no need for the HD's at a higher price. They weigh less than my binoculars and LRF did, take up less space and eliminate going between glass and rangefinder.