• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica PRS vs Vortex Gen 3 Razor 6-36x

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
So I went to check out the Gen3 Vortex 6-36 and buy it with a 30% off cert, but I wanted to check out the Leica PRS 5-30x and side by side them.
I expected to like them both about equally, and leave with the Vortex, which I did, but I really liked the Leica glass, more than I thought I would.

Everything I read comparing the two, gave the nod to the Razor as being better glass. The Leica was quite a bit brighter, and I liked the thickness of the Leica reticle a bit more. I think the Leica was useable down to 12x, whereas the Razor needed to be at about 25x to see the little sub tensions. I like the Razor turrets a bit more, though I love tool-less turrets.

I had a Gen 2 4.5-27 Razor, and my memory thinks that one was brighter than the Gen 3. I must be crazy lol.

The Leica reminded me a lot of my Kahles 6-24i, but maybe with a bit more resolution in the Leica. the Leica was very bright and crisp, whereas the Vortex was very good, but didn't exactly wow me.

What are your thoughts on these two? They are basically the same price. I have a TT 5-25, Schmidt Bender 5-25 with the DTII+ turrets, and I love them, but I wanted something less expensive for a 22LR build.

Looks like the Leica has quite a bit bigger FOV, being that it's 30x on the top end.

I need to get the Vortex to the range and check it out more thoroughly, but I'm feeling like I made a mistake.

Scott

I absolutely love my Leica 5-30. By far my brightest scope in my collection. Quite underrated in my opinion. It’s one that I will never get rid of.
It might not be a gamer scope like the Razor/ZCO/TT but on a long range hunter it’s absolutely spot on. And personally I hate huge tree reticle so the PRB is perfect for me.

I also got it used for less than 1900$ so that was a lot of scope for the dollar.

Don’t come to us to validate. You’ll never get rid of that feeling. Go back, buy the Leica, live happy.
I like the way you think.

Leica rifle scopes are just about as reliable as other high end manufacturers?

Scott

I absolutely love my Leica 5-30. By far my brightest scope in my collection. Quite underrated in my opinion. It’s one that I will never get rid of.
It might not be a gamer scope like the Razor/ZCO/TT but on a long range hunter it’s absolutely spot on. And personally I hate huge tree reticle so the PRB is perfect for me.

I also got it used for less than 1900$ so that was a lot of scope for the dollar.

I was amazed how bright it was. And $1900 is an excellent deal for sure. Thanks for the input.

Scott

I don’t have any experience. I think @357Max has used one for years in competition.
I’ve run the Leica, Razor G2, MK5 3.6-18, & Burris XTR3 18x on a couple rifles for a few years & really like the Leica for the glass, FOV, & uncluttered reticle. Usable sub-tensions down to 11x for me. A slight disadvantage for comps is that you only have 1 mil up in the reticle. It only really comes into play for troop line stages were you need holds 400-1000. I’d prefer to have center dot zero for the far end. To me it’s worth it though for the FOV & uncluttered reticle. So far mine has been 100% reliable. Has been on Frank’s scope checker 2 times.

There’s trade offs for everything & there is a reason Razor G2 & G3 are so popular in comps. Razor turrets ability to fine tune zero is awesome, reticles are excellent & more importantly are accurate, they track, & are durable.

I like variety & each scope has pros & cons. It’s never been the scope that held me back.

@A5scott - Pick what you like and enjoy.

There was a used Leica PRS on here recently for a hell of a deal that I thought about too long and regretted not snagging. Then I bought one of the Amplus 6 close outs and now I really regret not buying it. That Amplus has some of the best glass I have ever used. The brightness, colors and resolution is absolutely phenomenal.

There was a used Leica PRS on here recently for a hell of a deal that I thought about too long and regretted not snagging. Then I bought one of the Amplus 6 close outs and now I really regret not buying it. That Amplus has some of the best glass I have ever used. The brightness, colors and resolution is absolutely phenomenal.
I got the amplus on that closeout as well. Really happy with the low light performance.
2.5-15x56
Will sit on my lightweight 7 SAW as a all around hunting gun. Gonna get me some spring bear in a couple of weeks

Reactions: DubfromGA
So I went to check out the Gen3 Vortex 6-36 and buy it with a 30% off cert, but I wanted to check out the Leica PRS 5-30x and side by side them.
I expected to like them both about equally, and leave with the Vortex, which I did, but I really liked the Leica glass, more than I thought I would.

Everything I read comparing the two, gave the nod to the Razor as being better glass. The Leica was quite a bit brighter, and I liked the thickness of the Leica reticle a bit more. I think the Leica was useable down to 12x, whereas the Razor needed to be at about 25x to see the little sub tensions. I like the Razor turrets a bit more, though I love tool-less turrets.

I had a Gen 2 4.5-27 Razor, and my memory thinks that one was brighter than the Gen 3. I must be crazy lol.

The Leica reminded me a lot of my Kahles 6-24i, but maybe with a bit more resolution in the Leica. the Leica was very bright and crisp, whereas the Vortex was very good, but didn't exactly wow me.

What are your thoughts on these two? They are basically the same price. I have a TT 5-25, Schmidt Bender 5-25 with the DTII+ turrets, and I love them, but I wanted something less expensive for a 22LR build.

Looks like the Leica has quite a bit bigger FOV, being that it's 30x on the top end.

I need to get the Vortex to the range and check it out more thoroughly, but I'm feeling like I made a mistake.

Scott
If you are shooting 22LR PRS I think field of view is very important along with usable mag range. I have not looked through a Leica PRS scope but have a Gen III on my Vudoo, if what your saying is the Leica has a wider field of view with both set on 30X and the reticle is usable for at 12X vs 25X for you this would be a huge advantage. I keep my razor on 15X-20x for most movement stages and wish my old eyes were better and could use a lower power on some stages as it makes locating targets and keeping track of where you are easier. I would not be able to use 25X after coming out of the scope to check dope I end up hunting for the target too much. The other thing to check out is how forgiving the parallax is, when you have targets at 45,62,89,125,188 and 225 its a big help to be able to set it in the middle and go, just not enough time to fiddle with it on the clock, at least for me.

I got the amplus on that closeout as well. Really happy with the low light performance.
2.5-15x56
Will sit on my lightweight 7 SAW as a all around hunting gun. Gonna get me some spring bear in a couple of weeks

Yep mine is on my PH2 NRL now but I’m going to swap it over to a 7 PRC once I decide what I want.

I really like my leica prs. The only complaint I have is that the turret revolution counter does not reset with the zero stop. It's like..... not a big deal at all for me as a shooter but really irritates me nonetheless. I don't have a top tier nightforce, zerocompromise, etc, but the leica has the best glass of everything else I own. Second best is a zeiss s3. Leupold mk6 and steiner are far behind.

Thank you for all the replies. I just need to get out with it a bit more and see how it goes, hopefully tomorrow.
I really like my leica prs. The only complaint I have is that the turret revolution counter does not reset with the zero stop. It's like..... not a big deal at all for me as a shooter but really irritates me nonetheless. I don't have a top tier nightforce, zerocompromise, etc, but the leica has the best glass of everything else I own. Second best is a zeiss s3. Leupold mk6 and steiner are far behind.
The zero stop was looking to be the biggest complaint about the Leica, but for $2500, that seems like something I can live with. Do you need to adjust the zero stopover time you zero it? or mostly if there is a big offset at 100 yards from one cartridge to the next?

Thanks again,
Scott

If you like your zero stop set exactly at 0.0mil you will need to adjust it each time you adjust zero. I tend to leave mine set at -0.5mil instead so I usually have enough room. Adjusting the turrets themselves is probably the best system I have, though. Secure but requires no tools. Even the tool for the zero stop itself is in the optic. It's a solid setup.

Reactions: A5scott
I re-read your original post and saw this was for a nrl22 type build? I really don't think the optical brightness or clarity matters for competitive distances with a 22. I shoot a vortex strike eagle 5-25 on my vudoo and it's more than sufficient.

I re-read your original post and saw this was for a nrl22 type build? I really don't think the optical brightness or clarity matters for competitive distances with a 22. I shoot a vortex strike eagle 5-25 on my vudoo and it's more than sufficient.

yes, actually mostly for small bore silhouette out to 200 yards, which is shot from a bench. It's absolutely overkill for that.
I might shoot some rimfire PRS matches with it, and I'll take it to my 1000 yard range and try to get out as far as I can with it. I know it's an excellent optic, I was just surprised with the side by side to the Leica.

Scott

Scott what I can tell you is this. If you take two scopes equal length with same size oculars and same size objectives with same power and compare them. You will find one with larger field of view will have tighter eye relief. No free lunch. So find a balance.

I find the Gen 3 Razor to be my favorite high magnification scope of all time. The zero procedure is fast, simple and precise. Makes me want to take all those scopes that end up just right or just left of center I used to use and break them

Mike, the zero procedure was at the top of the list of reasons why I wanted the Gen 3 Razor and got rid of my Gen 2.
Thanks for putting it like that, finding a good balance is key.
Thanks again,
Scott

yes, actually mostly for small bore silhouette out to 200 yards, which is shot from a bench. It's absolutely overkill for that.
I might shoot some rimfire PRS matches with it, and I'll take it to my 1000 yard range and try to get out as far as I can with it. I know it's an excellent optic, I was just surprised with the side by side to the Leica.

Scott
Ridgway Rifle Club?

Scott
Why Leica doesn't get more love is beyond me. I took a Leica off of one of my hunting rifles because I like a lighted center dot and replaced it with another brand. A year later I've just purchased another Leica with a lighted center dot. People gush over Razors but my bud drank the cool-aid and bought a Razor spotting scope and asked me what I thought. My question was can you return it? Next week his spotter said Swarovski.

Reactions: st1650 and A5scott
Ridgway Rifle Club?
I'd love to get there someday, but I think it's over 4 hours from me. One day I'll do an overnight and check it out as it looks really nice there.

Atglen Sportsmens Club in Chester county is where I go for High Power silhouette, and this will be my first year in the small bore category.

Scott

Shakily hand-holding my G3 on 10x I can make out everything pretty well. On 15x it’s perfectly usable. Something is wrong with your eyes or that scope.

Everyone's eyes are different.

One of my shooting buddies likes a big, thick reticle because he is able to see them.
The reticle he likes look like fence posts to my eyes.

A few years ago, he sold a Burris XTR-2 because he wasn't able to make out the subtensions.
I though the reticle was perfect in size.
I'm 61, he's ten years younger and wears glasses. I only use glasses to read.

People just see things differently.

Shakily hand-holding my G3 on 10x I can make out everything pretty well. On 15x it’s perfectly usable. Something is wrong with your eyes or that scope.
I'd have to agree. I find the reticle to be usable in that range too. On the rare occasion I'll hunt with it I think I'll be fine taking a hunting shot on 12x.

Why Leica doesn't get more love is beyond me. I took a Leica off of one of my hunting rifles because I like a lighted center dot and replaced it with another brand. A year later I've just purchased another Leica with a lighted center dot. People gush over Razors but my bud drank the cool-aid and bought a Razor spotting scope and asked me what I thought. My question was can you return it? Next week his spotter said Swarovski.
Becuase their warranty sucks, most of their laser integrations suck, they make shit in Portugal instead of Germany for a
Lot of their line.

For a long range/ prs scope no one runs them. They took a swing and missed. The only people running 10-15x in prs are shitty shooters who can't find targets. We all started there. Almost everyone is running 18-25x to resolve detail becuase they can drop the gun on a barricade and the target is within the scope fov. If you are using npa and squaring to the gun you will be pointed at target anyway.

If you like bird watching or super high end Fudd guns/scopes, Leica is great. For tactical/practical, there is much better for similar or less money.

People gush over Razors but my bud drank the cool-aid and bought a Razor spotting scope and asked me what I thought. My question was can you return it? Next week his spotter said Swarovski.
no one gushes over Razor binos or spotters, and they definitely don’t think they compare to options 1-2k more expensive

The scope being discussed is a 5-30x and is made in Germany…

Also Leica has a 10 year warranty that’s like Vortex’s where they’ll repair or replace for unintentional damage and 30 year standard warranty. That’s a pretty good warranty.
Have you used the warranty? Try and and get back to me.

This. The 2.5-15x50 Amplus6 made me sell my Zeiss SFL 8x40 binos and ugprade to Leica Ultravids (I compared the 7x42 UV to the 8x42 NV and went with the UV) because the first time out hunting with it the scope was noticeably brighter than my binos, which was a first for me.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Vortex absolutely knocked the g3 out of the park. It actually has one of the best FOVs on the market (it’s identical to the tangent) but somehow vortex managed to maintain a nice eye box along with that fov, which is a challenge and something the tangent doesn’t pull off. I consider g3 glass literally right there with my tangent and the zco I used to have, which I sold to buy another G3. The DOF on the G3 also helps with rimfire matches when you’re walking targets out from say 60 to 170 yards. Others are needing to play with parallax to get focused while transitioning targets.

If you can’t use the G3 reticle at 15x you’ve either got really bad eyes or you just need to adjust your diopter. My eyes are far from great and I can hold over with it at 12x, though 15x is better.

With all this said…. I’ve had one G3 fail and I think now another. There’s something going on with parallax failures in them and they’re not admitting it. I know others who have had it happen as well. One day you’ll suspiciously need to crank your parallax to infinity to get targets clear at like 500 yards, where it was never like that before. Then, typically some time later the parallax will just go out completely and you can’t get the reticle to stop floating no matter what you do. I HATE that this is happening because the bang for the buck with the G3 is fantastic and I’m not kidding when I say it rolls with zco and tangent (glass-wise) but durability matters. I’ve gone tangent on my main rig for this reason and will likely throw a zco on my other, but I’ll always keep a g3 because it’s so damn good.

but somehow vortex managed to maintain a nice eye box along with that fov, which is a challenge and something the tangent doesn’t pull off.
I'm actually not too impressed with the eyebox on the Razor 3. Seems a bit shallow to me, especially compared with an XTR Pro.

I'm actually not too impressed with the eyebox on the Razor 3. Seems a bit shallow to me, especially compared with an XTR Pro.

I agree with you actually. I had an XTR Pro for a short while They did a great job with a good FOV and good eye box. It's likely related to the mag ratio or the eye piece design. XTR Pro glass doesn't touch the Razor though and the Razor eye box is not as tight as some other popular scopes on the market either, ESPECIALLY consider the FOV it gives (that's the typical trade off). There's pros/cons to all of em. The eye box on the Tangent is tight compared to the Razor, though I haven't got behind a 7-35 yet so I'm comparing to my TT525. Eye box on the ZCO is good but you lose some FOV. It goes on and on.

Reactions: rothgyr
I agree with you actually. I had an XTR Pro for a short while They did a great job with a good FOV and good eye box. It's likely related to the mag ratio or the eye piece design. XTR Pro glass doesn't touch the Razor though and the Razor eye box is not as tight as some other popular scopes on the market either, ESPECIALLY consider the FOV it gives (that's the typical trade off). There's pros/cons to all of em. The eye box on the Tangent is tight compared to the Razor, though I haven't got behind a 7-35 yet so I'm comparing to my TT525. Eye box on the ZCO is good but you lose some FOV. It goes on and on.
These are all valid points. Eyebox on my USO FDN is about the same as the Razor, because it's optimized for FOV. XTR Pro has a more forgiving eyebox, but the picture starts to pick up CA and other stuff if you're not centered. I'd take a bigger FOV and tighter eyebox in most cases, because my gun fits me and I don't have issues getting behind my optics.

Reactions: FLguy55
It does at the top. A 1” target at 100 is much easier to hit when you can see your bullet path and adjust.

So I was able to get the G3 Vortex on my rifle and get to the range for a quick trip on Tuesday and a good day on Saturday, and from what I see so far I'm very happy with it. I should have waited to get it on my rifle before starting this, but I had a friend ready to take it off my hands if I wanted to go another direction, (Leica) and I thought spitballing it on here was a good idea.

With my Gen 3 mounted, I set it up to my eye, and I can see the sub tensions down to almost 10x. I was an idiot for messing that up. Completely my fault, but when the salesperson agreed with me that the reticle wasn't easy to see under 20-25x, I didn't question it further. Still my mistake for not pulling the cap and focusing the reticle. It was just luck that the Leica was set close enough for my eye to see it clearly down to 12x or so.

I love being fairly close to Eurooptic to check stuff out, but I get light headed in there lol...

I knew I'd like the G3 turrets system for zeroing them, and I really like the reticle design, so I figured I could make it work on my .22LR, when I bought it.

I look forward to comparing it to my other optics out at longer distances that show you why optics with excellent glass and optical design are worth it.
Any buyers remorse I had is gone, and I really like what I'm seeing so far.

Thanks again,
Scott

So I was able to get the G3 Vortex on my rifle and get to the range for a quick trip on Tuesday and a good day on Saturday, and from what I see so far I'm very happy with it. I should have waited to get it on my rifle before starting this, but I had a friend ready to take it off my hands if I wanted to go another direction, (Leica) and I thought spitballing it on here was a good idea.

With my Gen 3 mounted, I set it up to my eye, and I can see the sub tensions down to almost 10x. I was an idiot for messing that up. Completely my fault, but when the salesperson agreed with me that the reticle wasn't easy to see under 20-25x, I didn't question it further. Still my mistake for not pulling the cap and focusing the reticle. It was just luck that the Leica was set close enough for my eye to see it clearly down to 12x or so.

I love being fairly close to Eurooptic to check stuff out, but I get light headed in there lol...

I knew I'd like the G3 turrets system for zeroing them, and I really like the reticle design, so I figured I could make it work on my .22LR, when I bought it.

I look forward to comparing it to my other optics out at longer distances that show you why optics with excellent glass and optical design are worth it.
Any buyers remorse I had is gone, and I really like what I'm seeing so far.

Thanks again,
Scott
You are not the first person to be stung by the diopter wasp, especially with FFP reticles. I made a similar mistake years ago, but it was a good lesson and I haven't forgotten since, plus I've refined my diopter procedure by fine tuning it which has also greatly helped. Kudo's to you for sharing an update to the situation because I think it will help others who venture in here.

Reactions: A5scott
You are not the first person to be stung by the diopter wasp, especially with FFP reticles. I made a similar mistake years ago, but it was a good lesson and I haven't forgotten since, plus I've refined my diopter procedure by fine tuning it which has also greatly helped. Kudo's to you for sharing an update to the situation because I think it will help others who venture in here.

Thanks for sharing that and making me feel better about my mistake... I wanted to gloss it over and not mention it, lol, but I know we all make mistakes, and a lot of times those are the lessons really stick.

Scott

Becuase their warranty sucks, most of their laser integrations suck, they make shit in Portugal instead of Germany for a
Lot of their line.

For a long range/ prs scope no one runs them. They took a swing and missed. The only people running 10-15x in prs are shitty shooters who can't find targets. We all started there. Almost everyone is running 18-25x to resolve detail becuase they can drop the gun on a barricade and the target is within the scope fov. If you are using npa and squaring to the gun you will be pointed at target anyway.

If you like bird watching or super high end Fudd guns/scopes, Leica is great. For tactical/practical, there is much better for similar or less money.
Do you actually own a leica PRS scope yourself? Just wondering how you formulated that strong opinion.

Reactions: Earnhardt
1708439935281.png
Unfortunately DBD is well known for his strong opinions. There are few people I "Ignore" on this forum but he is one of them as it is very difficult to have a rational conversation with him.

Unfortunately DBD is well known for his strong opinions. There are few people I "Ignore" on this forum but he is one of them as it is very difficult to have a rational conversation with him.
Glassaholic never forgets to mention me being on ignore. Which really means he reads all my shit because it lives rent free in his head.

If you want some geriatric opinions from flordia man, well there are plenty of assholes like him on the internet and this site. They dont shoot, they dont compete they just sit around and jerk each other off about the glass that they dont use.

As far as owning a Leica PRS, Nope. Played with one at a match and was not impressed. I was VERY close to buying one before that when the discount made it a good option. Thank god I got to play with one before buying it. Its not a very good scope and the market agrees. Much better options out there for similar money, and you aren't tied to a company who has shit customer service and gives fuck all about tactical shooters. Dealing with Leica is a pain in the ass and I will not own their products anymore as a result. Their warranty on electronics is dog shit, which is ironic because their electronic optics are the only ones worth buying (LRFS).

Glassaholic never forgets to mention me being on ignore. Which really means he reads all my shit because it lives rent free in his head.

If you want some geriatric opinions from flordia man, well there are plenty of assholes like him on the internet and this site. They dont shoot, they dont compete they just sit around and jerk each other off about the glass that they dont use.

As far as owning a Leica PRS, Nope. Played with one at a match and was not impressed. I was VERY close to buying one before that when the discount made it a good option. Thank god I got to play with one before buying it. Its not a very good scope and the market agrees. Much better options out there for similar money, and you aren't tied to a company who has shit customer service and gives fuck all about tactical shooters. Dealing with Leica is a pain in the ass and I will not own their products anymore as a result. Their warranty on electronics is dog shit, which is ironic because their electronic optics are the only ones worth buying (LRFS).

So have you dealt with them on a repair?

Their warranty on the electronics is the same as the rest of the unit. The have a 10 year warranty that covers even accidental damage like Vortex's warranty and then a 30 year warranty that covers everything but damage. How is that a dog shit warranty on electronics when many scope manufacturers only cover the electronics for 2-5 years including NF and ZCO? Once again you're talking out of your ass about something that you don't know shit about and you could take two minutes to read their warranty guide lines that contradict what you claim.

So have you dealt with them on a repair?

Their warranty on the electronics is the same as the rest of the unit. The have a 10 year warranty that covers even accidental damage like Vortex's warranty and then a 30 year warranty that covers everything but damage. How is that a dog shit warranty on electronics when many scope manufacturers only cover the electronics for 2-5 years including NF and ZCO? Once again you're talking out of your ass about something that you don't know shit about and you could take two minutes to read their warranty guide lines that contradict what you claim.
Yes twice. Once with a set of 1600B and the other with a set of geovids.

They warranty was 3 years on electronics forever, What they claim on paper and how they are to actually deal with are not the same thing.

So feel free to go back into your troll hole. I would ask if you ever got your meds checked, but clearly you haven't. Please get help.

Yes twice. Once with a set of 1600B and the other with a set of geovids.

They warranty was 3 years on electronics forever, What they claim on paper and how they are to actually deal with are not the same thing.

So feel free to go back into your troll hole.

Please show the class where on here anything different is stated on warranty regarding electronics. It's against the law for them to not state their warranty correctly and to hide stuff like that. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

That’s the old warranty terms dipshit, unless you’re somehow traveling back in time to purchase a scope then they don’t apply and haven’t applied for almost 3 years now. The current warranty on electronics is as I stated and as is outlined in the link I posted. You’re more than welcome to call them to confirm that they’re covered for 30 years just like I did. But I’m sure you’re right and their warranty terms and their employee are both wrong.

You are absolutely not qualified to make this ignorant statement regarding the leica prs scopes. Lets do everyone a favor and keep responses left to those who are educated on the subject matter. Ignorant statements like yours could possibly sway other forum members when they are trying to educate themselves.