• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica range finder advice

beersngars

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Ohio
I am replacing my Bushnell Conyx range finder simply because I get too many errors beyong 900yds. I need to range steel plates out to maybe 1 mile. I really dont care about connectivity. Speed is unimportant. I would rather just range a target, put the number in my Kestrel and use it that way. I was all set to buy the Vortex 4000 then read too many reviews favoring the Leica. The Leica 2400R looks like what I need...but...I'm afraid of it not going as far as I hoped. They have a 2800 and a 3500 model (both with connectivity that I doubt I would even use) so I'm looking for any first hand experiance you may have. Hoping to keep between $500-$700. Thanks

Last edited:
I have a 2400R, I'm lucky if it will do 800 on a non-reflective target in the sun with fresh batteries. It's relegated to archery use now. Ranges fast, good size and ergos, battery life is good...it just doesn't range far. Obviously in more ideal conditions (steel targets, more favorable conditions) it will go farther, but I doubt it would hit a mirror at 2400. I figured it would at least go out as far as I'd be willing to shoot a 300WM hunting rifle, but nope.

I was trying to range an Auodad in TX last month and couldn't get it to range (on a tripod no less, it wasn't shaky). My buddy ranged it with his Sig Kilo-whatever binos at 786 yards.

Waiting to see if anything new pops up for 2022 and I'll replace it.

Reactions: Bakwa
I have a 2400R, I'm lucky if it will do 800 on a non-reflective target in the sun with fresh batteries. It's relegated to archery use now. Ranges fast, good size and ergos, battery life is good...it just doesn't range far. Obviously in more ideal conditions (steel targets, more favorable conditions) it will go farther, but I doubt it would hit a mirror at 2400. I figured it would at least go out as far as I'd be willing to shoot a 300WM hunting rifle, but nope.

I was trying to range an Auodad in TX last month and couldn't get it to range (on a tripod no less, it wasn't shaky). My buddy ranged it with his Sig Kilo-whatever binos at 786 yards.

Waiting to see if anything new pops up for 2022 and I'll replace it.
Thanks for the input. I was kind of afraid it would pull up short on the range side of things. From what I've read, the Vortex should get me what I'm looking for but with lesser glass and china parts.

Saw another user on here the other day state that halving the advertised range is a good estimate. I haven’t used any LRF at all that weren’t also Leica binos, but I can tell you two things: the 2200 HD-B couldn’t be trusted to give me consistent returns off a dirt hillside at about 1k, but I got consistent returns off a dirt hillside at 3300 yds with the 3200.COM pair I upgraded to for that exact reason.

Ymmv, but I’m quite pleased with the 3200s. If you’re gonna shoot out to a mile, just get the 3500s (or some other similarly “over-ranged” offering from someone else) and avoid the frustration upgrade ladder.

I feel like the binos are much more consistent in their readings and distances over the stand-alone LRF. Bigger lens, more power output, more stable...I dunno. I've used the 3200 Binos a lot, all my buddies use them and I have a much more favorable opinion than the stand-alone.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
2800 will do 1k consistently but not 1.5k. I've gotten returns over 2k but it's very inconsistent at those ranges. It gets more consistent the closer you get to 1k.

I feel like the binos are much more consistent in their readings and distances over the stand-alone LRF. Bigger lens, more power output, more stable...I dunno. I've used the 3200 Binos a lot, all my buddies use them and I have a much more favorable opinion than the stand-alone.
Ouch! I looked up those binos. Sure are nice but a tad out of my budget. Just wish I had been born rich instead of so damn good looking! Maybe I'll try the Vortex and get over the china part of it. A friend has one and he seems pretty happy with it plus the lifetime warrany is had to beat.

Ouch! I looked up those binos. Sure are nice but a tad out of my budget. Just wish I had been born rich instead of so damn good looking! Maybe I'll try the Vortex and get over the china part of it. A friend has one and he seems pretty happy with it plus the lifetime warrany is had to beat.
Yeah, they’re a stiff barrier to entry. Bummer that the stand-alone LRF doesn’t stack up, but it’s also good to know, that’s news to me.

Ask me if I'd rather have a Chinese "973yd" or a German "---------" LOL

• Haha
Reactions: KnowNothing256