• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2700-B

What the heck is the "equivilent horizontal range" (EHR). Equivilent to what? The specs say the range is 2700 yds but the "EHR" is 1200 yds. I cannot find a EHR on the specs for a Sig Kilo 2400. Can anyone explain this?

Reactions: Lumbeejake
What the heck is the "equivilent horizontal range" (EHR). Equivilent to what? The specs say the range is 2700 yds but the "EHR" is 1200 yds. I cannot find a EHR on the specs for a Sig Kilo 2400. Can anyone explain this?

aka Rifleman's Rule ;)

Reactions: TACC
Thank you gentlemen. I was unfamiliar with the nomenclature. The "Riflemen's Rule" is something I have used all my life in hunting & LR shooting. I guess they (whoever "they" is :rolleyes:) took what I always thought of simply as "angle compensation" but never thought of it as "EHR" and turned it into a $10 word lol. Since I hadn't seen the term identified in the specs for some other rangefinders I thought (incorrectly obviously) that Leica had come up with some new feature I was unaware of. Got to laugh at myself really, always something new to learn here.

Anyone ranged steel or soft targets wonder the upper end of performance on those mediums. Not interested in trees buildings and hillside.

It would be interesting to compare it with the sig kilo 2400.

aka Rifleman's Rule ;)

EHR is actually a little different than Rifleman's rule or a little more advanced.

Being that the new 2700-B Rangemaster now takes a micro SD card (custom ballistics) like the HD-B, you can get the true range based on the flight of your specific bullet, the angle of which you are shooting, the absolute pressure and the temperature (EHR).

Being that the 2700-B does all of this, it will allow guys that are using scopes with custom cut yardage turrets to have one turret cut to the base configuration (59degrees, sea level, and 29.921 pressure), and take that rifle and rangefinder anywhere in the world and get an accurate dial too range based on all of the atmospheric conditions (other than wind) and angle.

EHR is actually a little different than Rifleman's rule or a little more advanced.

Being that the new 2700-B Rangemaster now takes a micro SD card (custom ballistics) like the HD-B, you can get the true range based on the flight of your specific bullet, the angle of which you are shooting, the absolute pressure and the temperature (EHR).

Being that the 2700-B does all of this, it will allow guys that are using scopes with custom cut yardage turrets to have one turret cut to the base configuration (59degrees, sea level, and 29.921 pressure), and take that rifle and rangefinder anywhere in the world and get an accurate dial too range based on all of the atmospheric conditions (other than wind) and angle.

In what sense is different? If it's compensating the incline with the Rifleman's Rule, the rest is just, well, usual ballistics. The point here is how the slant range is compensated to account for the slope.

Yeah - this one is killing me LOL. I have the Sig2400 but the leica always had my heart. The 2000B just wasn't getting it range wise though.

Mine arrived today, picked it up from the post office after work and had about 15 minutes to drive out of town and quickly try it out before it got dark.

Very first attempt was at a barn, 3070 yards! Ranged it a few more times and got the same reading without a hiccup. Ranged trees at 2500 yards as well. I was hoping to find some cows, but no dice.

That was all I had time for today.

Reactions: MilDot1960
Any news about this one ? I recieved a kilo2400 today that I bought before I was aware of this new Leica. Considering returning the kilo2400 and getting a leica instead.

So I got to go hands on with this little guy yesterday. This isn't review worthy really.

1. Longest range was 2700m on a building from a rest
2. The new reticle is enormously superior to the old square one, and the display is better in every way.
3. The unit feels a little more solid than the 2000B to me.

Any testing I would look at would have to do more analysis at sub-2k distances. Compared to the 2400 the glass is better, the reticle is smaller, and the Leica ballistics suck for LR work.

This unit is still made in Portugal.

Got mine yesterday and I'm comparing it to my kilo2000 which I know isn't apples to apples.

I'm impressed the reticle is a lot smaller than the kilo 2000, glass is way better and I have ranged trees at 1856 &1926y in bright sunny conditions then picked up kilo 2000 and no range. Also ranged trees @2752! When cloud cover moved in

The ballistic part of it took a lot of tuning, I spent 2.5 hrs on their website building a load that matched my DOPE and finally got it right. Well it's within .2" of predicted drop all the way from 200 to 700 then 750-950 within in .7". It's a pain in the a## the way their software works you have to build a load th3n it produces a drop chart in inches which I had to convert to moa to put beside my DOPE. I ended up just making a chart off of my DOPE showing bullet drop in 50 yd increments then building loads until I got within the range I said above. Then I just put it onto a sd card and loaded it in the rangefinder and set it to give me moa solutions.

Now that I put all that work in I have to say it is really neat and gives very accurate comeups. I have been playing with it all day and it's within .1 moa usually less of my DOPE. And it gives me solutions to 1000yds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highmiles77
Does it actually give the dope in MOA? Or does it just give it in clicks? My geovid hd-b only gives it in clicks which I then have to divide by 4 to give me moa for my 1 click = .25 moa scope. It’s fine for the range but a hunting situation it’s a little bothersome to have to do the extra step.

So I got to go hands on with this little guy yesterday. This isn't review worthy really.

1. Longest range was 2700m on a building from a rest
2. The new reticle is enormously superior to the old square one, and the display is better in every way.
3. The unit feels a little more solid than the 2000B to me.

Any testing I would look at would have to do more analysis at sub-2k distances. Compared to the 2400 the glass is better, the reticle is smaller, and the Leica ballistics suck for LR work.

This unit is still made in Portugal.

I am considering between the 1600r and the 2700b. Used for both hunting and shooting longer range. I have a 1600b that I found to start to be inaccurate with it's EHR as I moved past 600 yards or so....by the time I hit 875, its corresponding dope put me 1 MOA low compared to the Sig we were comparing it to with it's corresponding dope being spot on. My guess is the problem is that the curves are too generic for this kind of distance, but that is just a guess. Leica tells me that they should be within about 5 inches.

I now have a Kestrel 5700 that I will be using in concert, and I can't decide between these two as to which would be most effective to work with the Kestrel. Right now, I am leaning towards the 2700 because I could use it's drops straight from the RF to 875 or even 1k, and then use the distance from the RF along with the Kestrel for my wind holds. But I see you mention the ballistics suck for LR work...are they as inaccurate as they are in my 1600b? And if so, do you think that is because of the Leica ballistics program shortcomings (g1 only, no coriolis, no aero jump etc.), or for some other reason. Thanks!

So you can do a custom drop table now - it takes a micro-sd card. So you CAN actually do better with the online tool if I remember right. But compared to the AB/phone integration offered by the Sig Kilo 2400, the leica gets laid out on the ground instantly.

That said, I think a 2700 and the kestrel would be a very good combo. I would trust the dope from the 2700 as far as my verification of drops let it go, but use the kestrel for anything past probably 800m.

Super, thanks! Definitely, I like the idea of the 2400, but I already have the Kestrel, which I really like, so may be able to trade into another Leica through someone I know. I thought about just getting the 1600r and bypassing Leica's ballistics entirely...let the Kestrel handle it, but the EHR is useless for the wind dope from the Kestrel. So I'd have to us EHR for drop, and regular distance for wind...or enter uncorrected distance and angle manually.

I did mess with Leica's program, compared it to the Kestrel's output....it was off. As I trust Kestrel more, I tried tweaking a couple things in the program (site height, bc, zero distance) and like the other poster, I was able to get basically 'on' out to he 950 it displays vs the kestrel. So the curve can be made to match, but man, I wish Leica would partner with Kestral and AB like Bushnell did. That would be a killer comboI

So in the end, I think I'll end up going with the 2700 instead of the 1600r...my only concern is the 'one curve' thing...I hunt with my sons, whose rifles will not have the same curve....have to think about how that would work exactly. And frankly, not sure how much I can trust Leica's internal calculations when it considers temp and pressure. I trust Kestrel more for this.

After a certain distance, obviously full manual is the way to go (with Kestrel's range card...that means just enter the angle, then look at the distance displayed on the card for your drop and wind) so it's not very cumbersome. Takes 15-20 seconds or so. But shortish range when time is short, getting it all from the RF would be better if I can make that work.

Gotta make a decision as I have to call my contact back tomorrow.

Its the laser performance for me - the 2700 did a good job with the 2km stuff that I love to shoot at. The 1600R is probably going to spotty at 1.2km.

Good point, more power should make better ranging under difficult conditions. I think the 2700 is the way to go...hopefully, this will work out. But if not, through all this research, I think I have figured out how to work around my 1600b's problems. Not the best solution, but I can make it work. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: pc3
Just got the unit home and went directly outside to try it out.

3094 yards on the tree line no problem.

May do further but the mountain behind the tree line is 6 miles away. I've never been able to get a Sig to touch the tree line.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1513792499.6709.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1513792499.6709.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 236
What’s the warranty/repair process like for leicas??

Funny you should ask, what has driven me into this conversation is a problem with my 1600b. I contacted someone from Leica that helped me in the purchase, have not heard back yet, think maybe he is on holiday. But I'll let you know how it turns out, I still have not given up hope....yet.

Just got the unit home and went directly outside to try it out.

3094 yards on the tree line no problem.

May do further but the mountain behind the tree line is 6 miles away. I've never been able to get a Sig to touch the tree line.

This sounds awesome. Question for you, once you set up ABC, when you range something, does it first display an uncorrected pure line of site distance followed by a ballistically modified output (either holdover or effective horizontal range)? My 1600b, when set to EHR, first provides the raw LOS range, followed by the EHR taking into account the atmospherics, angle, and (generic) curve. Wondering if the 2700 works the same way with holdover display.

Edit: Another question...I just found some specs on these that suggest the range accuracy from 1000 yards on is +/- .5%....I think the Sigs claim something like 2 or 5 yards to max distance....whereas this would translate to +/- 15 yards at that distance, and even at 1k, +/- 5 yards....not so good. I have a question into Leica on this, but have you been able to verify it's accuracy on long range targets of known distance?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Does it actually give the dope in MOA? Or does it just give it in clicks? My geovid hd-b only gives it in clicks which I then have to divide by 4 to give me moa for my 1 click = .25 moa scope. It’s fine for the range but a hunting situation it’s a little bothersome to have to do the extra step.

Set your adjustment to 1/1 rather than 1/4 and your HD B will give you MOA elevation correction to the nearest 0.1 MOA and you won't have divide by 4.

Actually getting mine in few days and gonna have a chance to compare Terrapin and 2700 on youtes at 600 to 1200 yards on snow covered flats . They say that beam divergence almost the same. Than we talk ballistics...

Funny you should ask, what has driven me into this conversation is a problem with my 1600b. I contacted someone from Leica that helped me in the purchase, have not heard back yet, think maybe he is on holiday. But I'll let you know how it turns out, I still have not given up hope....yet.

Please do... I hate the possibility of having a very expensive paperwieght.