• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica vs. Swarovski binoculars

cactusbrew

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2004
Alaska
Just like the subject says, I'd like some comments and thoughts comparing Leica and Swarovski binoculars. I'm looking at a good pair for hunting, having in the vehicle, using from home, etc. and have settled on either Leica or Swarovski.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Swarovski 10x42 SLCnew and either a fixed power Leica or the Leica duovid, which is an 8x42/12x42.

I'll admit I'm a little hesitant on the Leica split power binocs as far as holding up for the next 20 years but I'm not discounting them. The end goal of course is to have a set of binocs that will last and I've always been a firm believer in paying once instead of paying twice.

So any comments or specific experiences with the above items would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Leica vs. Swarovski binoculars

I agree. The Swaros have the best light transmission and color fidelity. Since I am a photographer, those things are important to me. I wanted the best, budget wasn't a big deal, and I went with the Swaros.

Cheers,

Mike

I have owed a set of swar EL 10x32 for years. They have stood up to numerous hunting trips and one drop from the top of my pickup onto ashvault while driving out of my driveway without any damage.

Both of the binos your looking at are really good. If all oher thing are equal, go with the swar

I would buy Zeiss

Swarovski would be my pick. I have looked through the 15x56's and the 10x42's for 4-6+ hours at a time. They are really great binos.

I have had pair of 8x32's Swar for twenty years and have loved them. I was at SHOT show this past January and talked to the Swar people and the nice young lady told me to send them and get them checked out at no cost. I called got a ticket number and sent them on their way. I few days later I received an email telling me they no longer supported the model I had, but the would update them for $300. I called and talked the the repair rep and she said that they will rebuild them from the ground up. The only thing that was left from the original bino was the focusing system. They completely gutted and put all now glass, prisms, rubber exterior and so on. She also threw in a new strap for what that is worth.
I was very pleased with what I got back and basically got new binos for $300 versus $1100 for new.
I have been nothing but pleased with the binos and customer service

Marcus

I think most would not be able to tell you if they were looking through the Swaro's or the Leica's in a blind test.

Both make great glass.

My guess is that you could add a pair of Vortex Vipers into the blind test and many, if not most, wouldnt be able to tell you which was which just by viewing the image.

Every pair of Swaro and Leica binos I have owned or used have been excellent. Buy the one that is most comfortable or offers the best deal. That is my advice.

I've ran Leica binoculars since the 70's(back then they were Leitz) They've never let me down...never had to send them back for repair....Swaro or Leica you wont go wrong either way..nothing wrong with Zeiss either.

either, the new Leica 10x50 Ultravid HD I looked at were unreal!! I think they had the best glass I've ever set eyes to and thats including Swaros but I didnt get a chance to do a side by side comparison.

I had both and kept the Swarovski pair. Plus the customer service is excellent.

honestly If it were me I'd get the Minox HG 10x52 for $599 from Cameralandny.com and call it a day!!

Go Swarovski. I have a set of 15x56's I use I Texas hunting. No more head aches looking through them all day. Have tried zeiss, leica and wouldn't consider trading.

i'm going leica, pry nothin bigger than 8 or 12x50, easier to pack around, got a good buddy who has swarovs and leica, personally couldn't tell the diff in a side by side, both are spendy, but the leica's fit me better IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would buy Zeiss </div></div>
I agree, have 2 pair of 8X42 Zeiss FL(got tired of the wife always looking through mine so she has her own pair) Color, and detail are great.

i lied, just went with the 8x50 SLC swarov's, let me tell you something, i can not complain.

I love Leica glass. It may not have the "truest" color fidelity but to me it has the best color and detail "signature". More over, it is consistent along all their lines. Photos taken with my M6 can be picked out of a pile vs. my Nikon or Canon just on look alone. That same character is found in their binoculars too.

I looked through them side by side b4 I made the purchase. The salesman thought I was a pain when I asked to get 1 of each from stock as well. Told him I wasn't going to spend that kind of money without looking through what I was actually buying opposed to display models.

Durability, well let me say Swaro's hands down! A PSE staff shooter buddy of mine & I went to the see PSE Archery Express truck when it came to town. Don't remember the guys name who was there but, Dave knew him well.

He had a pair of Swaro binos on a steal cable that was long enough he could hold over his head. He demonstrated their durability by dropping them repeatedly through each day he stopped and had been doing so for more than a year. Were they marred, yes, VERY!! Were they damaged, NO!!

At the risk of JBW's wrath, tough like USO's.

I have a pair of EL Swarvo and they are awesome. I have never used Leica, but you wouldn't be disappointed with the Swarvo's.

1+ Own them for years. Excellent glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a pair of EL Swarvo and they are awesome. I have never used Leica, but you wouldn't be disappointed with the Swarvo's. </div></div>