• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes leica, zeiss, swarovski rangefinding binoculars

nobody13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Montana
I am just interested in the opinions of which of the three may be the best performer. I am going to make my purchase soon. What say you all?

Re: leica, zeiss, swarovski rangefinding binoculars

Can't comment on the others, but have the Leica 10x42, and love them. I'd like to look at the new Swaro unit though.

Have the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 and they really are superb. They do have a ballistic calculator facility but I've never used it and can't see ever doing so as it isn't able to be fine tuned; its near but not spot on; I prefer a range card anyway. Superb optics and they are fast. On a full moon I can use them to spot with; they are that good.

Had a quick look through some Swaro's and they were fast too. They have an angle collimator which I would find a little bit more useful. What I did like was they were lighter, slightly smaller and as bright.

If weight is an issue and you have small to medium hands then buy the Swaro, if not then its a toss up between the two.

Handle them both and see what works for you. They are binos first, rangefinder second and anything else is a bonus. Its how they work in the hand and how easy to fast focus. A rangefinder bino is the way to go as you can ping off ranges all the time. Both are big bucks though thankfully both companies will look after you.

Zeiss is running a $300 rebate right now on their unit. Honestly after playing with all the units I can honestly say that one unit doesn't really distinguish itself from the other very munch. If you are looking to get into a range finding bino the Zeiss right now is the better buy IMHO.

http://www.sportoptics.com/Zeiss-Range-Finders.aspx

I have the Swaro 10x and they are great, I have no regrets.

with the rebate, that zeiss is an awesome deal price wise, personally i like the swaro ranges, that said, taking the rebate into consideration, the zeiss is the way to go

I have an indirect connection to someone who once worked for Leica and now works for Zeiss. He told me that the exact same engineer who designed the Leica Geovid later went to work for Zeiss and designed the Zeiss RF binoculars. Assuming this is true, Typically if you give a person a second chance at something they are going to refine it and improve. With that said, I personally have a set of Geovids and love them thus far. If I had to do it over again I would give a serious look at Zeiss. Especially, with the $300 rebate going on now.

Based on the comparison I did of them at Shot Show a couple weeks ago, my impression was that the Swarovski was the smallest, lightest, and brightest of them. I wasn't overly impressed with the Zeiss, as I felt they weren't quite as nice as the Leica or Swaro and were about the same price.. Having said that they were pretty nice.

I was most impressed with the Bushnell (I know, blasphemy and all) but for the price they were really nice.. Considerably heavier than the others, but about 1/3rd the price...