• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lemishine

Juma

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2014
For those who use SSM for cleaning the usual additive is Lemishine. Curiosity pricked my keyboard and a search for the chemically minded revealed this. However we do not get Lemishine in Godzone [at least not off the shelf] and so we have been using powdered citric acid with great and possibly better effect. The cases simply sparkle.

What?s in Lemi Shine? ? UPDATED » Chemistry Blog

That took some work to be 95%-99% correct. I work with a lot of ss steel and many cleaners and pasivaters are citric acid based. I think usually 5%-10% citric acid. I don't understand the patented proprietary blending of chemicals world but I think these companies probably just tweak a recipe a little to avoid lawsuits and have the same cleaning effect. Fun little tidbit

That was some pretty remarkable analysis, especially since it seemed to be an exercise in intellectual curiosity and not as part of his normal work.

I love the Lemishine, and @ my current usage rate of 1 x 9mm case full per tumbler of brass, I think my supply of 2 jars of Lemishine will prove to be an extremely economical investment, even if there is a substitute...

I use car wash/wax liquid on final rinse of brass when I strain it and separate the pins from the brass, clears up waterspots and drys them quicker.

For those who use SSM for cleaning the usual additive is Lemishine. Curiosity pricked my keyboard and a search for the chemically minded revealed this. However we do not get Lemishine in Godzone [at least not off the shelf] and so we have been using powdered citric acid with great and possibly better effect. The cases simply sparkle.

What?s in Lemi Shine? ? UPDATED » Chemistry Blog

What?
A gun forum post with information that is news to me??
I feel out nerded.

I F'ed up and I put that, and soup but I also added fritz brass shiner (oops!). And now all my brass is turning black ish, I have to media ruble it to shine it. Any way to get it out of my SS tumbler, I wrinshed it out multiple times.

It's acids that remove and clean the brass surface oxides, there's nothing magic about citric acid. Vinegar has acetic acid and water, it's cheep by the gallon in any grocery store. The white kind doesn't have much odor and has been used on cartridge cases for about a hundred years.

Wal-Mart Great Value (house brand) Unsweetened Lemonade Mix in the small yellow envelopes.

Greg

For really dirty brass put white vinegar and baking soda in a cup or in a plugged up sink and watch da show!

Anybody use Lemi shine in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Indeed. A squirt of dawn dishwashing liquid, about a healthy teaspoon of lemishine, and give it a stir. My US cleaner is a carbon copy of the Hornady small US cleaner except mine is white in color and I got it off of fleabay. I've had it for about 4 years and it is still working well. I do not use the basket.

The cases are not as shiny as they would be when using the Hornady US brass concentrate, but the cases are as clean inside and out. You will need to figure out the ratio of lemishine, but I suggest you start out using as little as possible. Too much lemishine and you will have some lovely pink brass.