• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Length of Pull

CF_Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
East Coast, Canada
Hello,

So after a few days at the range, my girlfriend has expressed that my Remington 870 super mag is "too big" for her. What she is describing to me is length of pull, something I know nothing about. She is claiming that her arms are fatigued when using the 870 (not from weight) I also have a 597 and she says the size is more suited to her. I seem to not be affected at all between different lengths of pull (I have experience with a collapsable stock within the army, the positions didn't phase me, I chose shortest because the rifle is shorter).

Anyway, I have been doing some research on the whole length of pull thing, i.e. what would be best for her, and I'm not finding anything. I'm not looking for "a smaller gun cause she is a girl", trust me she shoots the 3.5" 12g mag's like a boss. I'm wondering if someone can help me out here, I've done everything short of taking her to the gun shop and having her try out Remington's length of pull system. She will probably be acquiring 12g in the near future, and I don't want to be dumping money into stocks to try and find one that fits. She isn't keen on a collapsable either.

So my question to you guys is: does anyone know what is an appropriate length of pull for a person?
- there must be a measurement of some sort, like length of your forearm or something.

Thanks in advance,

James

Length of pull is unique to each shooter.

My wife likes the youth model 8870.

Length of pull is the measurement of distance between the butt of the shotgun/rifle stock and the trigger.

For a simple test to check length of pull, she can bend her shooting arm into a right angle at the elbow with the palm open and flat. Then, place the butt of the stock against the crook of the elbow, with the receiver flat against the palm. If the shotgun trigger falls about the first joint of the index finger, the length of pull is about right.

Most likely a standard 870 will be far too long of LOP. The Youth Model that was suggested was an excellent idea, no shame in that game. One size does not fit all, especially when we're talking about LOP.

You need to get into a local gun store and start trying some out, to get the proper size for her.

Ergonomics is pretty darn important.

Last edited:
Another consideration is the clothing you will most often wear while using that long gun. If it is a winter gun, and you will have on many layers of clothing, the length of pull can be shorter to make up the difference. If the gun is going to be used while wearing a T-shirt. the length of pull will be longer than it would be with winter clothing. As noted above, the thing to do is to try some guns on and see what fits.

I found that shotguns with a stock shape like the standard Remington 870 stock, I need about a 13.5 length of pull. With a straight stock lacking that sort of pistol grip as on the 870, I can work with a longer length of pull.

Length of pull is only one part of fitting a shotgun, cast on, off or neutral can have an effect as well. If right handed, you want cast on or neutral. Length of pull is most important here though. You can get a gun too long and cut it down to fit as well. Look for a local shop that sells high end trap guns and have a talk with them about fitting a gun.

Length of pull is the measurement of distance between the butt of the shotgun/rifle stock and the trigger.

For a simple test to check length of pull, she can bend her shooting arm into a right angle at the elbow with the palm open and flat. Then, place the butt of the stock against the crook of the elbow, with the receiver flat against the palm. If the shotgun trigger falls about the first joint of the index finger, the length of pull is about right.

Most likely a standard 870 will be far too long of LOP. The Youth Model that was suggested was an excellent idea, no shame in that game. One size does not fit all, especially when we're talking about LOP.

You need to get into a local gun store and start trying some out, to get the proper size for her.

Ergonomics is pretty darn important.

Thanks for the trick! I do agree that ergonomics are important, I just seem to fit the standard sizes. I had considered the youth model, as it even has adjustable LOP, but they only come in 20g in both Remmington and Mossberg guns. I think we will make a trip south of here in the new year and get her fitted.

Thanks guys!

The youth stocks can be bought aftermarket and fitted. The receivers are no different. I run a Hogue youth stock on my Mossberg 590 to shorten it up a bit.

The youth stocks can be bought aftermarket and fitted. The receivers are no different. I run a Hogue youth stock on my Mossberg 590 to shorten it up a bit.

^^^This.

Also, I know there are a few Tactical stocks like the Speedfeed where their primary use is for Entry Teams wearing vests and what not, thereby requiring a shorter LOP...don't know that it'd be a good stock for swinging to shoot flying things, but for stuff on the ground that aren't fast movers, it could work quite well. Heck, maybe she would even like a pistol grip stock? And with that, the new Magpul stock comes to mind as well. Both those and similar types are much higher quality and offer several improvements over the chintzy factory Rem. stocks.

Just food for thought.