• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

leo buying gun then selling it

whitt91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Tampa, FL
hey guys, quick question. sorry if this is for some reason terribly imoral/illegal then my apologies, or if this has been asked before (couldnt find it in the search).

If i know a LEO who is a very close personal friend in california and he buys a gun (glock 19 gen 4), while getting the law enforcement discount, could he then sell the gun to me for the price he paid (i have my ccw am legally able to own it in my state).

Thanks for yalls help, again not trying to step on any toes if this is not alright. just trying to do what i can on a TIGHT college budget.

Re: leo buying gun then selling it

dam, yep looks like this is a no go

"In the context of United States federal gun laws, a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not.
In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on Form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted."

If he buys it then transfers it to you via an FFL and you fill out a 4473 then you are gtg. W/O the 4473 the transfer would meet the above definition (not good).

Was his whole intent to get the gun for you at a discounted price? If so then yeah, it falls under a straw purchase laws. He is falsely filling out the 4473 form by stating the pistol is for him. Not to mention, he is abusing the privilege of getting a discount due to his LE status. Something I find reprehensible.

If I remember right, (I'm still eliable for the LE discount) the discount for the Glocks isn't that much, Glocks are expensive anyway.

I think I'd just go a head and pay little bit more, nothing else for peace of mind.

Certainly can't get into any trouble that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what about a gift? Dad bought me a shotgun kind of stuff? </div></div>

Gifts are generally OK, as long as the recipient is legally allowed to possess the firearm in question.

That being said, if I were the OP or his friend, the potential for trouble (especially for a law enforcement officer) is not worth saving $100 or so.

You have no idea how common this is. It is the way people get around the "Drop test" so they can get "non-compliant" pistols. I personally have no problem with this because I think the Kalifornia "Non-compliant" drop test is B.S. anyways. I think if someone can circumvent an unconstitutional law I am all for it. To me it is similar to the re-labeling of "assault weapons" when they were banned, the bullet button, and the monster man grip.
ALL B.S. Kalifornia anti firearm laws

I think it's funny you want to export a gun out of Kommiefornia. Usually, it's the other way around.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Go for it. Laws don't apply to cops anyway.</span>

Some things really shouldn't be asked about on a public web site.

From your profile, you show to be in Alabama and your friend is in California. So even if he gets you a good discount, how are you going to get it?

If your friend buys it and sends it to you, he would have to send it to an FFL for you to pick up, in which case there is no problem legally as that would be correctly done.

But then you factor in shipping cost (which somebody has to pay either you or him) and if the FFL charges you a transfer fee (most do unless you are really good friends with them).

By the time you add up shipping / FFL cost, you'll probably find the savings are very little & most likely you could wind up with a very similar cost just getting it locally. (It's not like Glocks are hard to come by or anything).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have no idea how common this is. It is the way people get around the "Drop test" so they can get "non-compliant" pistols. I personally have no problem with this because I think the Kalifornia "Non-compliant" drop test is B.S. anyways. I think if someone can circumvent an unconstitutional law I am all for it. To me it is similar to the re-labeling of "assault weapons" when they were banned, the bullet button, and the monster man grip.
ALL B.S. Kalifornia anti firearm laws </div></div>

An unjust law is no law at all. Nullification is the peoples last defense.

Back to the OP, I know of a certain Federal LE agency that used to get really good deals on HK's. that was until many were buying multiple handguns at over 50% off retail and turning around and selling them for profit, Needless to say that many of them lost their badges and were fined.

I say pay the extra hundred bucks, its not worth the headaches. Plus, let's not give Feinstein any more ammo against us.

thanks for the info guys. sounds like this is frowned upon pretty seriously. basically i was just looking at this from the perspective of shopping around and getting the best deal, and was thinking of my leo buddy the same way somebody would think of knowing a dealer very personally that would hook them up with a huge discount.

As The Mechanic correctly stated, the California "Safe Handgun Roster" is a bunch of feel good BS, all while lining the state's pockets with more money from the manufacturers, extortion. I personally have no qualms about bypassing certain state laws as I believe them to be unconstitutional.

However, ignoring the straw purchase and all that, you are considering taking advantage of a company's policy for your own gain, something that I don't agree with. Screw over the state, but not private companies.

Besides, having your buddy buy the gun, then transfer it to a local FFL and you do the paperwork and all that, after the transfer fees and all that you basically negated the discount in all the fees and taxes.

I'd just look for one that someone has for sale, if its a gen 4 chances are it would be in real good shape with little to no use and with the down economy, you might get a screaming deal too.

Edit: I forgot to mention there was a big stink earlier this year, maybe two or three months ago, about a handful of officers getting nabbed by the Feds for buying off roster handguns, then turning around and selling them. Not a problem if its one or two once in a great while, after owning it for a while, but these guys were doing multiple guns at a time and selling them at times almost immediately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Go for it. Laws don't apply to cops anyway.</span> </div></div>

WOW...... Keep on hating Brother.

Without a story or two regarding this, I'd just go buy one without all the BS. Good luck to ya.

I love how everyone who "thinks" a law is unconstitutional has the right to break it (bypassing is breaking), yet they get moist in the crotch when they hear about cops getting caught "bypassing" the laws.

Sorry, but go ahead and get caught "bypassing" a law because you don't like it, then tell the judge about your internet debate about the constituionality of it, and report back to us with the results.

Public disobedience against "feel good" laws is not going to stir the revolution you are hoping for. In fact, once the media gets ahold of someone violating gun laws, I am 101% sure you will get an opposite reaction from the majority, further crippling any pro-gun movement. Then we can all sit back and feel greatful that there is even more ammo for the anti movement because some dick wants to make a statement and not go about doing it the right way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1J04</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Go for it. Laws don't apply to cops anyway.</span> </div></div>

Without a story or two regarding this, I'd just go buy one without all the BS. Good luck to ya.</div></div>
Relax, you don't know Shankster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1J04</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Go for it. Laws don't apply to cops anyway.</span> </div></div>

Without a story or two regarding this, I'd just go buy one without all the BS. Good luck to ya.</div></div>
Relax, you don't know Shankster. </div></div>

Even people who know Shankster don't know Shankster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's funny you want to export a gun out of Kommiefornia. Usually, it's the other way around. </div></div>

We need to start refugee camps for guns coming out of cali.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1J04</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Go for it. Laws don't apply to cops anyway.</span> </div></div>

Relax, you don't know Shankster. </div></div>

LOL Copy