• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LEO shooters, need input

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
Guys,

Needing some honest input from active LEO guys.

At a crossroads at the moment, setting up a new duty rifle and can't decide which way to go on the glass.

The rifle, Mc A4 stocked 5R (.308) with Badger M5 BM, 20 MOA base.

Glass on hand,

<span style="font-weight: bold">US Optics ST-10</span>, EREK 1/2 moa elev. and US 1/4 moa wind., MOA ret.

<span style="font-weight: bold">SS FFP 3x9</span> mil/mil.

Both are built like a tank and I am having a hard time deciding which to run on my rig.

I am all too familiar with the fixed vs. variable thing, just torn on which route to go. I have run both the fixed 10x and variables on duty and never felt handicapped either way.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HELP!</span>

Re: LEO shooters, need input

Well obviously both are great scopes and I can't say anything negative about the quality of either so I'll have to comment on the limitations of the fixed power. Personally I don't feel comfortable with a fixed 10 on a duty rifle. I think at shorter distances, which you are likely to encounter as an LE sniper, you would be better served by the wider field of view of the variable power. I also think it would be harder to get on target as fast at short distances if you need to make a shot quickly. I would definately have to go with the 3-9 SS. Just my opinion though!

+1 on the variable. In fact, the USO you mentioned is the same I am running on my duty .308. Part of our quals requires 25 yrd shots in the "T" after a bit of running. I have found it alot easier to dail down to 3 or power and let fly than to shoot at 10 power on that part. I have also found engaging movers easier with a lower power as well. I don't see any drawback to a variable....if you don't like the lower power, don't dail it. Just my honest opinion. I hope this helps.

B.

Thanks guys, already had the SS mounted. Was already leaning towards it. Super scope for the money and built like a tank. For the application, I think it would be hard to beat.

Variable. 10 fixed limits your field if view too much. As an LE sniper you primary role is to gather intel for the I.C. You'll probably never take a shot but you will be asked to describe the location, cover, concealment, etc. You can always dial up for a static target but situations are going to be pretty fluid. The larger field of view will allow you to gather and relay more accurate intel. IMO

keithr41