• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leofoto tripods

bluebu70

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
Cape Girardeau,Mo.
Does anyone here have any hands on experience with the Leofoto tripod legs? I am curious about the LN-404C or the LN-364C. At half the cost of a RRS or Gitzo, are they half as good? I think I saw one in a photo taken at the PRS finale this weekend but I can’t be sure. I have read positive reviews on a few photographic forums but nothing from a shooters perspective.

i own the LN-404C and it is very nice. Very robust, looks and feels great. Honestly cant tell much a difference between these and the RRS ive handled. I am using a RRS leveling head on mine.

Reactions: mobius38
I went ahead and bought one to try out. It was delivered today and I have to say my initial impression is positive. The tripod is solid and stable, all adjustment points are smooth and feel well made. The advertised weight was 5.7 lbs. this one trips the scale at an even 6 lbs. One pleasant surprise was that it included a Leofoto lh-40 ball head. There was no indication in any of the ads or description that a head would be included. Next step, weather permitting, will be some side by side field trials with a RRS set up.

Reactions: RS14
I bought a 404C today to use with a RRS TA-3. Going to find out how it holds up and if it fits correctly!

I bought a 404C today to use with a RRS TA-3. Going to find out how it holds up and if it fits correctly!
The ta-3 fits a 75mm bowl. The 404C is a 100mm and the 364c is a 75mm so I imagine you'll need an adapter.

ETA:I wasn't planning on it but I found a decent deal on a 364c last night and ordered it. We'll see how it turns out.

Last edited:
It comes with a 75mm adapter. I noticed that as well. I hope the fit will be okay after that. I noticed guys using the Feisols are shimming. I prefer not to do that.

Reactions: SingleShot85
Interesting. Never heard of these but I was just looking at the website and I like how the legs fold up and around the base. Adds a solid layer of protection.

FWIW .... the seller "OEC Cameras" is the primary seller on Amazon for these. The 364C is hard to find via Amazon/eBay but is available for $425 from US dealers, I can get you in touch if you're interested. I purchased my LN-404c from OEC Cameras via "best offer" on eBay for $500 shipped to me. I felt like the extra $75 was a no brainer for a tripod rated to the specs of the 404C, even if it is a brick.

I hope this helps others looking to purchase!

Reactions: Colt1776
I’ve got a LN-364c coming in the next couple of weeks to try out. Read a preliminary review of them on accurateordinance.com and it seemed positive.

Reactions: Emmersom Biggens
ive just posted my LN-404c for sale in accessories if anyone is looking for one.

I got the leofoto LN324c a few days ago. Initial unpacking had me pleasantly surprised on the quality, I don't have a RRS to compare it to but initially I don't see any reason to spend $1k plus on a RRS. Maybe my opinion will change after I use it. I will try to report back on my thoughts after some use. I am going to throw a leofoto LH55 ballhead on it this week when it arrives, then I will know just how good of a deal this was.

Last edited:
Received my LN-404C today. Unfortunately it didnt come with the 75mm bowl adapter that it was stated to have come with. As a result, I cant attach my RRS TA-3-LC to it. I'm wondering if that leveling head will work with this even with a bowl adapter, based on the design. Going to give BH Photo and Video a call and check tomorrow.

Note .... i'm 230lbs and this was EASILY strong enough to let me balance myself on it. Not a bit of flex or give. I could have done a handstand confidently without feeling like it was going to give.

Attachments

• photo86347.jpg
    photo86347.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 413
Received my LN-404C today. Unfortunately it didnt come with the 75mm bowl adapter that it was stated to have come with. As a result, I cant attach my RRS TA-3-LC to it. I'm wondering if that leveling head will work with this even with a bowl adapter, based on the design. Going to give BH Photo and Video a call and check tomorrow.

Note .... i'm 230lbs and this was EASILY strong enough to let me balance myself on it. Not a bit of flex or give. I could have done a handstand confidently without feeling like it was going to give.

I believe the LN-404C is rated for 100 lbs. But that is impressive.

I was thinking that .... the RRS TA-3-LC uses the set screws dr the series 3 RRS and Gitzo tripods to lock it in. Even if I got a 75mm bowl adapter I’m not sure that it would actually provide anything to lock the Leveling head in. I believe we’re on the same page.

I don’t think so, unless I’m mistaken. I got the 404C for $500 shipped. And I thought the Feisol was a bit more than that.

I could step down to the Leofoto 364C for $400 range and have a plenty beefy tripod with less weight. Although, weight isn’t much of a factor for me as I won’t be transporting this more than 20-30 yards at a time max.

I have a big job interview tomorrow. If I end up being offered a position I might just celebrate by breaking down and getting the RRS tripod lol

For what it’s worth, the TA-3-LC works perfectly with the LN-364 tripod.

I completely missed this yesterday. Thank you for sharing.

Is the TA-3-LC locked in using the clamp alone? Or does the platform release line up as well?

Looks good, the 364 is lighter too than the 4o4c correct ? But it still is listed at nearly 6lbs. Does that include a ball head or something?

Also does the (two?)retaining screws line up in the grove of the TA-3?

If so that looks like the one to get over the 404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The weight that I measured was tripod and base adaptor only. There weren’t any retaining screws on my TA-3-LC head. The head snaps into the retention button on the tripod and the friction lock secures it. The TA-3 head fits the Leofoto 364c as good as it does a RRS tripod.

Looks good, the 364 is lighter too than the 4o4c correct ? But it still is listed at nearly 6lbs. Does that include a ball head or something?

Also does the (two?)retaining screws line up in the grove of the TA-3?

If so that looks like the one to get over the 404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Correct. The 364C is lighter than the 404C by a couple pounds I believe. They also make an LN-324C model that is lighter even still, I think that one rates to 55lbs.

I managed to arrange an exchange for the 364C earlier today. Going to roll that direction now that I have confirmation it works so well.

FWIW... if you compare the design of the Leofoto adapters to the RRS, they’re nearly identical. The only difference in this setup is the way in which the pieces someone chooses actually secure into the tripod.

ie: RRS, Feisol, Gitzo all use screws to tension the Leveling or ball head to the tripod.

ie: Leofoto uses a single push button safety lock and a friction knob that allows a significant amount of tension to be applied.

Okay, so how does one make the 404C work with the TA-3? Or are we coming to the conclusion that such is not possible?

I have a 404C coming in the mail, as well as a TA-3. Sounding like I'm going to want to try to exchange?

Okay, so how does one make the 404C work with the TA-3? Or are we coming to the conclusion that such is not possible?

I have a 404C coming in the mail, as well as a TA-3. Sounding like I'm going to want to try to exchange?

I imagine you could have a reducer ring machined but I think you'd be money ahead just swapping out for a 364. I got mine the other day and it's light years ahead of the manfrotto 055xb for stability but not as fast to deploy. I put a sirui k40x on it and was able to find some play in the pan bearing that was undetectable on the manfrotto. I need to order a ta-3.

I have been told that the universal leveling head will work with the 404C but I can confirm the TA-3 will not. I exchanged my 404C for the 364C. With as overbuilt as the 404C is I have no hesitation swapping. In fact, I kinda prefer to swap to save weight.

I have been told that the universal leveling head will work with the 404C but I can confirm the TA-3 will not. I exchanged my 404C for the 364C. With as overbuilt as the 404C is I have no hesitation swapping. In fact, I kinda prefer to swap to save weight.

Okay, thanks. I'll have to see if I can return and exchange.

Any ideas on one of their tripods for spotting scope use? Have the pistol grip heads totally fallen out of favor, or are they a good match for a spotter still?

Reactions: abn31c
If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.

Agreed. The Desmond / Demon ballheads that are available are a HUGE value. They make “inspired” models of popular brands. Check them out if you’re in the market and don’t want to spend a lot.

It's really a weight issue,

The Leofoto is pretty nicely built but weighs almost twice as much as the RRS of an equal size. (almost equal). Stability is very good though thanks to the weight and size.

The Leofoto is taller, but I like the controls, it's just very big. I am using their Leveling base that Bobby sent with it, and it works very well. I would just use their stuff to guarantee it works.

It's really a weight issue,

The Leofoto is pretty nicely built but weighs almost twice as much as the RRS of an equal size. (almost equal). Stability is very good though thanks to the weight and size.

The Leofoto is taller, but I like the controls, it's just very big. I am using their Leveling base that Bobby sent with it, and it works very well. I would just use their stuff to guarantee it works.

Which model Leofoto in particular are you talking about? Or are both the 404C and 364C heavy for their size?

If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.

Good tips. You have any idea what a good option for a geared head is? That won't break the bank anyway? Might be worth going that direction first.

Both are heavier than the RRS by a good measure.

Spec wise, and this is just the legs, not including attachments

364C - 5.7 LBS
404C - 7.5 LBS

RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

In your hand, it's quite noticeable, I have the 364C here, as well as Most of the RRS models (one note I am not using the L models)

Final Comparison

Hog Saddle

PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

The 364C is a big tripod unless you are over 6FT tall it's a bit overkill the LS-324C appears to be the correct model for shooting. It's 3.1 LBS with a 33LBS weight rating. They have some solid lightweight smaller models vs going with the big heavy 75mm ball versions, just use the lighter ones with a standard ball head.

Last edited:

364C - 5.7 LBS
404C - 7.5 LBS

RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

In your hand, it's quite noticeable, I have the 364C here, as well as Most of the RRS models (one note I am not using the L models)

Final Comparison

Hog Saddle

PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

The 364C is a big tripod unless you are over 6FT tall it's a bit overkill the LS-324C appears to be the correct model for shooting. It's 3.1 LBS with a 33LBS weight rating. They have some solid lightweight smaller models vs going with the big heavy 75mm ball versions, just use the lighter ones with a standard ball head.

That is a good difference. But, should be tolerable on the 364C since I'm not really humping this stuff around these days, and I'm 6'3".

Going to have to investigate their lighter tripods that come with ball heads for my spotter. That sounds like perhaps the easiest route to go.

Thanks

That is a good difference. But, should be tolerable on the 364C since I'm not really humping this stuff around these days, and I'm 6'3".

Going to have to investigate their lighter tripods that come with ball heads for my spotter. That sounds like perhaps the easiest route to go.

Thanks

First, let me start by saying I am a bit jealous of your height.

The reason I brought up the heavy weight earlier:

A lot of people should consider however what that weight might mean when down stream 6 months or so. Let assume that you honed your bipod skills and want to use it in a match or maybe hunting... In either case, you'll generally be caring enough, be it water, ammo, rain gear, etc along with your tripod that you'll wish, really wish, the tripod was lighter. I love my RRS TVC-33 and mine comes in a bit heaver than my Feisol 3372. By the time I am all stacked up for hunting, I look at everything and often end up defaulting to my 3343 at 2.5lbs (no foam), even though the RSS-TVC-33 shoots so much better. I've seen others leave the tripods home because it all became to much. Remember you can always add weight with your pack hung for extra stability, but you can't make the yoke smaller or the legs lighter.

I had the an old Carbon Getzo that I think was about $2k and it was about the same weight as the 404. It was just way to heavy, the yoke to large. Packing it, or moving it with one hand while kneeling holding the gun (as in using a leg for rear support), is a more awkward task than it sounds, especially when the legs are all spread out.

My point is that while the differences may seem very small today, the weight differences really do, or might in the future, matter to someone and may limit were and how one uses it.

Edited: mistakenly said 3472 is 2.5?lbs in stead of 3342 — changed above.

Last edited:
Reactions: AverageGrunt
First, let me start by saying I am a bit jealous of your height.

The reason I brought up the heavy weight earlier:

A lot of people should consider however what that weight might mean when down stream 6 months or so. Let assume that you honed your bipod skills and want to use it in a match or maybe hunting... In either case, you'll generally be caring enough, be it water, ammo, rain gear, etc along with your tripod that you'll wish, really wish, the tripod was lighter. I love my RRS TVC-33 and mine comes in a bit heaver than my Feisol 3372. By the time I am all stacked up for hunting, I look at everything and often end up defaulting to my 3472 at 2.5lbs (no foam), even though the RSS-TVC-33 shoots so much better. I've seen others leave the tripods home because it all became to much. Remember you can always add weight with your pack hung for extra stability, but you can't make the yoke smaller or the legs lighter.

I had the an old Carbon Getzo that I think was about $2k and it was about the same weight as the 404. It was just way to heavy, the yoke to large. Packing it, or moving it with one hand while kneeling holding the gun (as in using a leg for rear support), is a more awkward task than it sounds, especially when the legs are all spread out.

My point is that while the differences may seem very small today, the weight differences really do, or might in the future, matter to someone and may limit were and how one uses it.

All valid points!

I think I’m honing in on the 364C for my normal shooting tripod, and I’ll see what they have, which could if need be, serve double duty as a spotter tripod and field shooting tripod, in the event I really, REALLY need to cut weight. Run a standard ball head and go with it.

364C - 5.7 LBS
404C - 7.5 LBS

RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

Final Comparison

Hog Saddle

PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

Now having both the 364C and 324C in hand, I think I can better comment in regards to this.

I'll make a separate post soon covering these tripods, but for right now, with this thread, I'll give a quick impressions...

I'm 6'3", and IMO, the 364C has more height capacity than needed. It's not a small tripod by any means. But it's pretty stiff at full extension still.

The 324C, my impressions are pretty good, so long as you don't need to use the bottom leg extensions. There seems to be a decent bit of flex available in that last, narrow leg section. I think for most guys and most instances, this tripod would be sufficient. However, if you're a bit on the taller side, say, prob 6' plus... MAYBE even 5'10" and up, and foresee yourself using it extensively for full-standing positions, where you'd need to utilize those last, thin leg sections, I wouldn't get this tripod for use as the primary rifle support. But again, if you think about the people who will need to regularly use a tripod in full standing position, AND, are on the taller side... that's a fairly small group of people.

Side note on the 324C- IMO, this makes a sweet spotter tripod. It's PLENTY solid enough at full extension to support a standard spotting scope, it's pretty light weight, and relatively compact for the max height, considering it doesn't have a center post.

As I said, I'll do a full review on both tripods soon. I actually haven't gotten the 404C sent back yet, so I might just go ahead, open that up, so I can do a full review on all three tripods.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
Does the TA-3 also work on the LN-324C?
I can now confirm, that no, the TA-3 will not work on the LN-324C.

As a matter of fact, it only "sort of" works on the LN-364C. If you're fine using only the clamp to retain the TA-3, then you can use it as is. BUT, it WILL NOT engage the lock mechanism in the tripod. To do that, you must swap the bowl out; removing the RRS bowl and installing the Leofoto bowl that the tripod comes with. This APPEARS to reduce the range of motion, but I have not yet measured it out.

Personally, I'm not willing to roll with just a clamp lever to retain a $300 leveling base; that lever isn't hard to turn.