• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LEO's Chime in please

Bighouse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2007
Utah
We are having a debate on how the mourning band/shroud should be worn on your badge.
We have some that say 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock. Some of us say 2 to 8.

What is the proper way? Or is it a matter of opinion?

Re: LEO's Chime in please

Our policy says that it should reflect your hand over your heart. 2-8.

BH--You worked with the female officer that was KIA earlier this week?

It has been some time since I have worn the Mourning Band but when i did it was straight across the badge 9-3

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As long as it is worn uniformly. </div></div>

That's the most important issue. Even OPMD says that there is no set way. Just stay uniform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BH--You worked with the female officer that was KIA earlier this week?

It has been some time since I have worn the Mourning Band but when i did it was straight across the badge 9-3

Thanks </div></div>

She is the reason we have them on. Not the same agency though.

SOP's are written by each agency. Mine is 2 to 8, which seems to be the most common

3 to 9 where I work, but as was posted above, as long as it's uniform it really doesn't matter.
Patrick

3-9 at my dept. Dates worn: from the EOW to the funeral. Removed before shift the day after the funeral. Plain black elastic band. Bands with writing or electrical tape not permitted.

Have always had to go 3-9. I think it is badge shape. I don't see how I could do it differently.

3-9

I am assuming this is for when you guys loose an officer? Is it just a black rubber band placed across your badges?

It breaks my heart to see you guys loose one of your own. People dont understand just how dangerous it is to be a cop. Stay safe guys.

Thanks for the replies guys. Her funeral is this morning and we didnt want to be the only department not wearing them correctly. Looks like it varies quite a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bighouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies guys. Her funeral is this morning and we didnt want to be the only department not wearing them correctly. Looks like it varies quite a bit. </div></div>

Dunno about you, but at an EOW funeral, Im busier looking at mental images of my family than mourning bands from other agencies. I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Sorry to hear about the situation.

We wear them 3-9 Dallas.
From the ODMP page.
<span style="font-style: italic">A common request we receive at the ODMP is if there is a protocol for the wearing of mourning bands following a line of duty death. There seems to be no universal protocol for the wearing of mourning bands, and oftentimes it is left up to each individual agency to determine under what circumstances and for how long to wear them.

We have developed the following suggested guidelines that can be adopted into your agency's general orders for proper protocol of wearing mourning bands:

Within your agency ~ from the time of death until midnight on the 14th day after the death

Within your region ~ from the time of death until midnight on the day of the funeral

Funeral attendee ~ out-of-region officers while attending funeral

National Peace Officers Memorial Day (May 15th) ~ from 0001 hours until 2359 hours</span>