• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes lepold mk4??

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
looking at getting one been tossing it round been looking at so many different ones im so confused, i need real world advice, i know i want focal style where moa is moa no matter magnification, will be using this for up too 1000 yrds but will be starting 300-500 working out im ready to drop for the mk4 because i know its good but help me if i need to look at a few others please.

Respectfully

Re: lepold mk4??

Leupolds seem to have a bad track record on this site.. But I personally don't have any issues with them. I have a 4.5-14x on my AR at this time. Have not had any issues with it yet. I also just purchased a fixed Mark 4 10x scope.

What magnification or model are you looking to get??

You should look at a mil on mil first focal plane. The leupolds m5 (5mil per rev ) turrets look pretty good and they have several different power ranges with first focal plane ( reticle stays the same size in relation to the target at all power ranges ).

They are around $1600 I believe.

In my opinion, the Nightforce F1 is a much better option. It has a better reticle (MLR-2), has an illuminated reticle, 10 mils per revolution, has a zero stop, has constant eye relief at all power ranges ( the leupolds eye relief changes quite a bit when you go from high power to lower power zoom, on low power you will be craning your head way back). The only thing the Leupold has over the Nightforce F 1 is that it is available in higher powered versions (6.5-20 ).

The Nightforce is around $2300 and comes with a $150 set of rings(which you can sell if you already have a good set of rings). They can be had used for around $1950 +/-.

The Leupy is a good scope, the Nightforce just offers so much more and I think a NF holds it's value much better. For just a little more $$$, I would much rather have a slightly used F1 than a new Leupold ffp m5.

i don't really have 2300 for glass i understand the need for the glass just the price is killing me lol

but it cost money to go long i guess,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't really have 2300 for glass i understand the need for the glass just the price is killing me lol

but it cost money to go long i guess, </div></div> you don't need a $2300 scope to shoot 1000 yards.

Might want to check out the Bushnell HDMR before you decide. Group buy on the G2 is still going for $1250. You get FFP, wide range of magnification, milling reticle, with a horus style grid system. Glass is supposed to be great as well.

whoops, sorry I missed that you wanted MOA rather than MIL.

If you like Leupold I would get a 6.5x20 for the longer ranges.
It still has plenty of low power for the close in work as well.

FFP scopes do cost a little more, do think about your absolute need for a FFP scope. Obviously in a real world tactical scenario FFP is the way to go, but a top quality optic with SFP may suit your needs just as well, cost a little less and allow you to buy a better optic than you might consider.