• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Les Baer .308 Semi

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
Les Baer came out with a new .308 AR platform rifle. Looks pretty slick and it says it comes with a 5rd 1/2 moa garuntee. I known.... I known... garuntee, smaruntee! Nonetheless, it looks pretty nice and is priced right around what all the other semi- .308's are going for. It just adds another option.

Re: Les Baer .308 Semi

Looks promising based on just the details on their site. I'll be interested in seeing what aftermarket parts/accessories this platform will be compatible with. The lower is a DPMS/KAC pattern, and is supplied with the LR20 PMAGs. Somebody go buy one and get us a range report!!!
wink.gif

Oh...and the price is $2980 for all those interested.

It looks great but a little to rich for my blood. I have a Les Baer Wadcutter pistol and it achieves the posted guarantee in accuracy. For 3K, I am sure it will be a shooter!

not very sexy looking at all. Les Baer makes some nice stuff but it seems they are very late to this market and have some catching up to do, They are also very high priced so I would imagine it would be a low volume operation.

I have bought, sold, shot and used about 20 LB firearms. 1911's and AR 15 types. All have exceded the accuracy stated. Worked flawlessly, maintained their accuracy and value. For some reason they are not popular on this site. I do not know why. They sell very well, new or used.
The M4 type Ar 223 I am shooting at this time is shooting 1/2 moa at 600 yards. My last 5 shot group at 600 was actually 1.1". It has never exceded .5 moa in vertical, but the wind will still get them over that, of course. Nice weapons.

Les Baer does make some top shelf stuff, but they are VERY proud of them. Your money.

John

I have no experience with gas guns, but cosmetics aside, isn't a 7.62 semi that shoots 5-shot groups under 1/2 MOA pretty regularly something special?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no experience with gas guns, but cosmetics aside, isn't a 7.62 semi that shoots 5-shot groups under 1/2 MOA pretty regularly something special?</div></div>

It's definitely a keeper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not very sexy looking at all. </div></div>

That right there says everything that's wrong about what too many are looking for in a firearm.

Personally I give a rats ass if my guns look like dried dog shit if they perform.

Yeh people are funny. People on some of the other sites are more concerned with looks. Another thing that always cracks me up is people are so brand protective. Lets' say the Les Baer really does maintain 1/2 moa 5 rd groups and functions 100% great people will still bash it because its not a new LMT or Larue .308. I understand preferring one brand however, there are limits.

I think, for me at least, what I look for in a firearm is reliability and accuracy. If it always functions great and is accurate as I expect I do not care if it is made by bills fish and chips or Knights!

For example, people are quick to say things like... brand x uses inferior parts compared to brand y. However, if brand x is accurate, reliable and never brakes.... then to me I really do not care what the the other brand uses. There is a point of diminishing returns!

Maybe I need more coffee though.

I didn't think the looks were bad if that is something important to you. It looks almost identical to the early Armalite AR-10T rifles with the longer, 24" barrels.

Again, like blones, brunettes, red-heads...everyone has their likes and dislikes and too each their own!!

Now...SOMEBODY GO GET ONE AND PUT IT THROUGH ITS PACES ALREADY!!
wink.gif

Not that it matters, but I find it to be attractive.

http://www.lesbaer.com/AR308.html

I just don't see the comparison between that rifle and the LMT MWS. The Baer has a fixed stock, 24" barrel, and no rail. The LMT has a collapsable stock, 16" barrel, and full rail. The Baer is just under $3000 and the LMT is just under $2500.

I paid $2360 for the LMT with two extra P mags. It works for me. I can't see mounting an Aimpoint on it and using it as a carbine, as many photos on the site show. I can see shooting at 800 with my 1.8-10X as well as being able to shoot in close with a Trijicon RMR, which I am considering mounting. The LMT meets "my mission". I believe the Baer .5 moa claim. But, I don't see the 24" barreled rifle meeting the needs I want it for.

Does anyone know how much the naked Baer weighs? didn't see it on the site.

ps Nothing I wrote should be construed as ant-Baer guns. My LMT seems to be what I need.

wood, I agree with your comments 100%. Really depends on what you want the rifle for. I personally would not put a red dot sight on the LMT or similar .308 AR platform rifle. If you are going to do that get a 5.56 AR or an HK 91 pattern or something even cheaper. I think the barrel on the LB is a bit long for my tastes and would prefer a 20" option. When I pick up a 16" .308 semi again I will put a 1-8 S & B on it so I can shoot out to 800 yds and still close work. I think a red dot is really limiting the rifles capabilities. But, different strokes for different folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how much the naked Baer weighs? didn't see it on the site.</div></div>

I haven't seen an "official" weight yet, but comparing it to the older AR-10T (24" barrel, fiberglass float tube, A2 stock/grip, etc.)...I'd guesstimate it would come in around 10lbs to 10.5lbs empty with no mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not very sexy looking at all. </div></div>

That right there says everything that's wrong about what too many are looking for in a firearm.

Personally I give a rats ass if my guns look like dried dog shit if they perform.</div></div>
what I mean is it looks like a plain Jane rifle for all the money I would be putting into it. It is the same price as a GA Precision of the same rifle. After an optic I am in way over 4k depending on the optic of course. I would just choose to buy something else.

Its looks to heavy, Looks to be the same weights as the original SR-25

If it meets the accuracy claims, I think it is something special.

That said, I would prefer it at 20" and with something like the Knight's URX fore... if this is the complaint about it, I get it. Still, a 308 semi that regularly achieves under 1/2 MOA is a feat.

I got to shoot one a great deal at a recent writer event. The gun I shot was every bit as accurate as Les claims, and I got to shoot it out to 650. I would buy one if I was in the market for another .308, but I'm happy with GAP-customized Armalite for now.

I was looking through Baer's website today and saw that they added some options for the 308 semi-auto. They will now do an 18" or 20" barrel and a Magpul stock. It is getting more interesting.

OK... it has all the elements I was going for. That is great! I don't see a price, but I imagine it will be cheaper than an SR-25?

It is interesting that it comes with a Versa-pod while the others include the Harris. Probably because of the pic rail, but I have all my bipods pic rail compatible, so it doesn't really matter.

Very cool. I wonder how I missed that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check this shniznate, first monolithic .308? http://www.lesbaer.com/UltMonolith-SWAT.html </div></div>Nope. </div></div>

I've been hunting around the "web" and can only think of the MA-10 but thats not out yet... so can you divulge a little more information than "nope" like "check colt" or something? sorry i have a bunch of damn boots running around at work pissing the dog shit outta me.

Awesymoto, the LMT MWS has a monolithic upper.

You mention the MA-10 not being out yet. I only know of the Mega MA-10 upper and lower receiver sets currently being sold, which do not incorporate a monolithic upper. Are you referring to something else?

forgot about LMT, and yes there is some stuff going on about a completely monolithic Mega Arms upper coming out. as is the (we may never see) colt 901

good to hear Baer is offering a Magpul stock---several yrs ago
I was in the market for a precision 223 and would have bought
theirs but for the fact that one could not get any rail but their
proprietary one---and I learned that the warranty was void were I to put a different 1 on myself--thus had a custon AR built---
if they were to offer options I would look at the 308 seriously
---their Monolith 1911 is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned---at that time Les said he was personally shooting all the
groups that come with a new firearm---I think that their AR'S should have as many options as their 1911's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at that time Les said he was personally shooting all the
groups that come with a new firearm---I think that their AR'S should have as many options as their 1911's</div></div>

He may have been personally shooting them... but he was using a Ransom rest to do it... still, the most accurate semi-custom 1911 on the market (on average).

looks to me like mega machine is making their receivers. that thing looks like a dead-ringer for their matched receiver pair. just has a slightly different trigger guard design.

UltMonoSWAT.jpg
their swat model. yup, mega machine.

Its a nice rifle. I can see why people love it. If I bought one and it was shooting 1" groups at 600yds I would be in love too. I just see a huge gap in price between buying one of these and putting my own lower together and having a quality smith build me an upper, for comparable performance. Again not hatin on Baer just voicing what some guys might be thinking.

Nothing against Baer but I'd have to see it first and hear enough real world owner reports to back it up before I'd even consider one. I've seen too many handgun custom guys trying to expand their business whose rifles didn't live up to the hype or the guarantee. As others have said it doesn't look like anything special aside the high price.

okay I'm new to Snipers hide so cut me some slack.... :eek:)

Here's what I know about the Les Baer Custom Smi-Auto 308

I have had a Les Baer custom smi-auto 308 for several months. It's topped with a Night force 5.5 - 22 x 50...awesome scope! I have about 250 rounds thru it and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 900 yards and put 4 rounds into less than 6.25 inches. I had to return it (cost me $103.00 for shipping) to have the chamber opened up because you had to struggle to get a loaded round out of the chamber. Now on my last outing I had 5 failures to fire (I believe the hammer is following) out of 85 rounds. I called Les Baer yesterday and was told they would call back. Still waiting.

Can you clarify something? You had to struggle or the gun had to struggle? Did you have a working gun that you requested be modified to non working?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okay I'm new to Snipers hide so cut me some slack.... :eek:)

I have had a Les Baer custom smi-auto 308 for several months. It's topped with a Night force 5.5 - 22 x 50...awesome scope! I have about 250 rounds thru it and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 900 yards and put 4 rounds into less than 6.25 inches. I had to return it (cost me $103.00 for shipping) to have the chamber opened up because you had to struggle to get a loaded round out of the chamber. Now on my last outing I had 5 failures to fire (I believe the hammer is following) out of 85 rounds. I called Les Baer yesterday and was told they would call back. Still waiting. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Can you clarify something? You had to struggle or the gun had to struggle? Did you have a working gun that you requested be modified to non working?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okay I'm new to Snipers hide so cut me some slack.... :eek:)

I have had a Les Baer custom smi-auto 308 for several months. It's topped with a Night force 5.5 - 22 x 50...awesome scope! I have about 250 rounds thru it and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 900 yards and put 4 rounds into less than 6.25 inches. I had to return it (cost me $103.00 for shipping) to have the chamber opened up because you had to struggle to get a loaded round out of the chamber. Now on my last outing I had 5 failures to fire (I believe the hammer is following) out of 85 rounds. I called Les Baer yesterday and was told they would call back. Still waiting. </div></div> </div></div>

I would assume since the round that he is trying to remove is loaded it must mean He had to struggle unless the gun has a loaded round ejection button.

What ammo were you shooting? Anything other than match ammo is not guaranteed to function due to the tight neck in the chamber. If you reload, mic the neck on finished rounds.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okay I'm new to Snipers hide so cut me some slack.... :eek:)

I have had a Les Baer custom smi-auto 308 for several months. It's topped with a Night force 5.5 - 22 x 50...awesome scope! I have about 250 rounds thru it and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 900 yards and put 4 rounds into less than 6.25 inches. I had to return it (cost me $103.00 for shipping) to have the chamber opened up because you had to struggle to get a loaded round out of the chamber. Now on my last outing I had 5 failures to fire (I believe the hammer is following) out of 85 rounds. I called Les Baer yesterday and was told they would call back. Still waiting. </div></div>

The chamber was so tight you could not get the round out. I had to bang the stock on the bench and pull on the charging handle to get the chamber open. One time the bullet came out of the case and powder went every where and I had to use a cleaning rod to knock the bullet out of the chamber/rifling. When I talked to Les Bare he said, " find a box and ship it back....".???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The chamber was so tight you could not get the round out. I had to bang the stock on the bench and pull on the charging handle to get the chamber open. One time the bullet came out of the case and powder went every where and I had to use a cleaning rod to knock the bullet out of the chamber/rifling. When I talked to Les Bare he said, " find a box and ship it back....".??? </div></div>

Sounds like the bullet was engaging the lands maybe?

Unusual for FGMM. Will be interesting to know if it really was the rifle or if the ammo was out of spec.

Like I said. I sent it back and they fixed it. Now the hammer follows....

Just to chime in.

Les is an old friend who'se been building me competition 1911s for more than 20 years

He just sent me an 18" .308 Monolith topped with an NSX 5.5X22X50. I took it to the range for the first time yesterday and fired a bunch of 5 shot groups (off bipod, from a bench-got a bum leg, couldn't get prone). Was consistently .5MOA or better with Federal 168gr GMM. I realize this is probably overkill but he built it with the LBC barrel break so recoil was little more than a .223 (I've got a busted shoulder also. Accident prone I guess).

The fit and finish are fabulous and the PRS (which I've also got on my .223) was invaluable. It took me a bit to dial in the LOP and comb height but once I did I could achieve a quick and predictable position shot after shot.

With the addition of the Monolith LBC is now offering three .308 models and each have options for customization. I won't get into the dollar/value debate which everyone has to decide for themselves. On the other hand Les also built me a tricked out .223 and its build quality and accuracy were equally fine. Perhaps this says something about the work LBC does.

There certainly are lots of excellent choices in the AR world; I went with someone I knew and wasn't disappointed.

Overall I think the Monolith is a really fun rifle to shoot. Based on this limited experience I suspect I'll take it out a bit more often than my much longer and heavier precision bolt gun

I am a believer in Baer products which are a bargain for the money when compared to competitors he out performs them all at lower cost. I bought his .308 when it frist came out with the Match and it will shoot sub .5 all day. The 6.5 is the most accurate gun I have seen...What I have been meaning to find out is will he provide a mount for a can? When I asked him a while back he did not want to mess with it for accuracy but I am sure he has that worked out by now...know anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said. I sent it back and they fixed it. Now the hammer follows....</div></div> My mistake. I really should read further back before replying that early in the morning.

"MY TWO CENTS" Does anyone know if the federal 168 gmm ammo crimp their bullets? The reason I ask is, since I just started reloading for my ar 15 I've noticed when I engage the round to test for feed issues the only thing I noticed was the bullet actually slipped forward. I'm wondering if that wasn't the issue with his les baer. ?!? Just curious, even if I put a decent crimp on the bullet they still try to move a little do to the energy of the engagement(like a kinetic bullet puller).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baer45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a believer in Baer products which are a bargain for the money when compared to competitors he out performs them all at lower cost. I bought his .308 when it frist came out with the Match and it will shoot sub .5 all day. The 6.5 is the most accurate gun I have seen...What I have been meaning to find out is will he provide a mount for a can? When I asked him a while back he did not want to mess with it for accuracy but I am sure he has that worked out by now...know anything? </div></div>

I spoke to Les about this last week. He is working on a setup for suppressors and I think has one in the works as well. I suspect this will be worth revisiting in the next weeks to months

I did a video comparing the RR LAR 8 to the Les Baer .308

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLX6wEgSk_g&feature=channel_video_title

Les Baer is a great gun. I cannot spend that much money or justify purchasing it for the extra accuracy. I am not a great shooter and there are a lot of SH guys that can shoot rings around me. But for a $1,100 gun, I am happy as hell.

Keep in mind, unless you are getting a custom made .308 semi, all manufacturers are complying with SAMMI specs to avoid lawsuits, etc. The differences in any factory semi auto is less than most people think. You are paying a big premium. There could be diminishing returns. Les Baer is great, but ....