• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Les Baer 308

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
Anybody shooting Les Baer's Ultimate Match 308's. What do you think? I'm considering getting rid of my picky Grendel.

Tikka

Re: Les Baer 308

I've only put 33 rounds thru mine so far but it is amazingly accurate.
Last 5, 3 shot groups:
FGMM 168 = .575 (making sure it would shoot)

IMR4895 with 178 amax
.590 (lots of mirage 98+)

One short ladder and I was there.

All shot magazine fed.
I've had 2 other custom ar-10 and neither shot like this one.
It's a hammer and I'd buy it again.

I didn't like the handguard so it got a trip to the mill for vents and rails. Skate board tape on the underside in front of the receiver.

2237763110048605402S425x425Q85.jpg

The rest of the 33 rds were on steel.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

Nice Rifle! Guess that 1/2 MOA guarantee is true
smile.gif

Question: Who did the milling work for the rails? I have a 1/2 quad on mine and would love to just have a full out rail (instead of paying $400 for a new DD lite-rail).

I'm not shooting an Ultimate Match but rather the Monolith. Its set up with Les' Integral brake (I have a bum shoulder) and the two stage Geisselle match trigger. Scope is an NSX 5.5X22X50 on Les' rings for distance and an HDMR/Spuhr setup for tac stuff.'

This is a pretty fabulous piece. Shoots <.5MOA without effort; I'm not loading so am running 175gr FGMM and Bryan Litz Berger 175gr "tactical rifle ammo."
Both make for a wonderfully predictable load and the rifle handles them with ease.

The whole platform is so stable it's replaced my bolt guns as my "go to let's go out and shoot without drama rifle."

As an aside, in this configuration, the Monolith is a pretty hefty rifle. Though Les provides it with one of the new Versapods I've chosen the GG&G ultra duty. This seems to pretty much anchor the rifle to the ground/bench or whatever and really works well for this setup.