• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Les Baer is out of the Rifle business.

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Today I noticed there was no rifle advertisement on the Les Baer website, called them up to confirm and yes no further manufacturing of rifles or parts. All previous manufactured rifles will be covered for warranty or repair.

I wonder what this will do to the price of existing Les Baer rifles....my brother owns a Les Baer AR and it is fantastic.

VooDoo

Reactions: Bender
    When we spoke to them 3 weeks ago they stated they were going to focus
    on pistols.. the rifle business has became crowded and difficult to sell rifles
    that were at their price point.

They had a 204 and 308 remaining in stock at that time.

I had one of their grendels years ago and it was a 1/2" gun for sure. But I agree the market is flooded with higher end and mid-level rifles now.

I'll be keeping mine.
    IMG_20170829_180116835.jpg
    IMG_20170829_180028427.jpg
    IMG_20170829_175337171.jpg
    IMG_20170829_175259970.jpg
    IMG_20170829_175113397.jpg
    IMG_20170829_175737864.jpg

Are those 3 or 5 shot groups? Can’t tell if you missed the target 6 or 10 times...:ROFLMAO:

That's funny.

No thats the test target that goes out with every Les Baer rifle.

But reproducing those 5 shot groups with this rifle is pretty easy.

When we spoke to them 3 weeks ago they stated they were going to focus
    on pistols.. the rifle business has became crowded and difficult to sell rifles
    that were at their price point.

They had a 204 and 308 remaining in stock at that time.

If I remember, a lot of Les Baer rifles were long barreled, straight contour and designed for NRA High power and XTC competitions. It's a pretty niche market, there, and so I'm not surprised that they weren't finding it profitable.

It'd be interesting to see what the average length of an AR15/10 barrel has been for those sold each of these past years. But with the proliferation of pistol braces, I would bet that the average has gotten shorter and shorter every year.

Les Baer are quality, but not a lot of people are in the market for the types of shooting they have been optimized for.

If I remember, a lot of Les Baer rifles were long barreled, straight contour and designed for NRA High power and XTC competitions. It's a pretty niche market, there, and so I'm not surprised that they weren't finding it profitable.

It'd be interesting to see what the average length of an AR15/10 barrel has been for those sold each of these past years. But with the proliferation of pistol braces, I would bet that the average has gotten shorter and shorter every year.

Les Baer are quality, but not a lot of people are in the market for the types of shooting they have been optimized for.

Wrong.

Les Baer built everything from M4's to long-range ARs and Bolt guns in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308

I may have missed something, but last time I was on their website it looked like they sold a bull barreled varmint gun and a quad rail covered bare bones rifle. Like it or not, looks are important in the AR market, especially above $1200, so only offering things that looked old school ten years ago is a bad strategy in a crowded market, regardless of accuracy potential.
    I don't care if your 1997 Buick LeSabre can do a 9 second quarter mile, everyone would still prefer a 12 second Mustang....

Reactions: Longshot85
    More like, the average ar15 buyer doesn't know what he doesn't know and is going for the cheapest rifle that fits the criteria of "is an ar15." That's the market that Les Baer doesn't play in. And, when the panick subsides, the new ar15 owners realize they either don't like them or are over leveraged and flood the secondary market with cheap rifles, further depressing the market. After Sandyhook, they said you couldn't not make money building ar15s. Trump's done so much winning he's killed the gun market.

Reactions: Constructor
    More like, the average ar15 buyer doesn't know what he doesn't know and is going for the cheapest rifle that fits the criteria of "is an ar15." That's the market that Les Baer doesn't play in. And, when the panick subsides, the new ar15 owners realize they either don't like them or are over leveraged and flood the secondary market with cheap rifles, further depressing the market. After Sandyhook, they said you couldn't not make money building ar15s. Trump's done so much winning he's killed the gun market.
    I agree 100%. The gun industry had record breaking sales for the 8 yrs. Obama was in office.

I've got 3 Les Baer rifles...a 5.56, 6.5 Grendel and a .308. I shoot the Grendel and .308 extensively, and couldn't be more impressed with the accuracy and groupings.

How do you take that handguard off? I wouldn't mind putting a quad rail or something else on it. It doesn't look like it comes off like the LR308's I've had.

No doubt, they buy the cheapest stuff they can find(except for the rail, they'll spend $400 on a rail or 200 on a charge handle) then complain they don't shoot worth a crap.

I think you may find this to be the case from a lot of manufacturers who don't make their bread and butter from AR sales. If they can make a go of it without testing the soon to be waters of AR rifle sales, then I see them dropping that line.

BUT, I do see them coming back if the Republicans can take the house or the senate. Realizing that they still need 60 votes for this latest attempt to become law. I hope the filibuster can doom this bill from becoming law.

Reactions: rpoL98
    I have a NRA national match with the 30" bbl. Are the prices up or down on these guns in the current climate. Anyone know?

I dont want to see ANY American small business go under, with that said, I wont buy another Baer...at least, not a brand new one (unless he comes out with something that just knocks my socks off). If I do decide to buy a brand new 1911 it will be either an Alchemy Prime Elite I've been drooling over, or that NHC Colt (which would technically tick two boxes of mfg that I currently do not own with one purchase).

Reactions: FatCow
    I have a NRA national match with the 30" bbl. Are the prices up or down on these guns in the current climate. Anyone know?

On gunbroker all the heavy barreled versions appear to be going for more than $2.9k with scopes. I think the big question if you are considering selling is what can you get new for $2500 (or on sale for $2200) that will shoot as good or better.

Man, this is a huge necro.

Has anyone see a 338 in a Les Baer rifle anywhere for sale? I saw a few on GB a while ago and the price was pretty high. Anyone see any around with a decent price? I think I read somewhere that only 35 or 40 were ever made in that caliber? Does anyone know?