• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors LES BAER?

sergeant69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2011
south texas
THUNDER RANCH SPECIAL. am saving up for a retirement present. is this all its touted to be or would i be paying more for the name than the gun. anyone run of these? thanks.

Re: LES BAER?

les baer, wilson, ed brown are all good guns. personally i like to have more say in what goes into my guns so i prefer to do custom builds. but they do hand fit all their pistols and put in top quality parts, you won't be dissapointed.

I love my Baer TRS. It was super tight at first, but now that it's had some rounds through it it's loosened up a bit. The only thing that I've done to it was change the rear sight for a 10-8 (after this picture was taken) and put a set of Larry Davidson grips on it. It's my most accurate pistol. It's never had a failure of any type.

35n9a15.jpg

yeah i've heard they run tighter then wilson and ed brown out of the box, good to here it loosened up a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i've heard they run tighter then wilson and ed brown out of the box, good to here it loosened up a bit. </div></div>
Baers are very tight, you are not just paying for the name, they are a high quality pistol, once you get to handle one, you will see what I am saying. Thunder Ranch is a Damn good pistol!

I want a Les Baer Premier 11 it's is a bit of work getting one over here but I am doing it

they are a very highly rated pistol by those that know high end 1911's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i've heard they run tighter then wilson and ed brown out of the box, good to here it loosened up a bit. </div></div>
It has gotten easier to pull the slide out of battery, but the slide to frame fit is still as tight as it was on day one.

If you have to ask, you're not ready for a custom pistol.

Buy a lot of ammo instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to ask, you're not ready for a custom pistol.

Buy a lot of ammo instead. </div></div>

well goddam that was helpful! fukkin retard!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sergeant69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to ask, you're not ready for a custom pistol.

Buy a lot of ammo instead. </div></div>

well goddam that was helpful! fukkin retard!</div></div>

years ago... i got to be friends with a gunplumber that do magic on 1911's....in fact any new pistol i add to the fleet it goes to him first for the once over......i have personally seen a lot of high end /custom 1911's flow through the shop over the years....and i am here to tell you ...when a high end 1911 got such piss poor fit and finish INSIDE that it eats itself, that tells me the QC leaves a lot to be desired.....

driving custom pistols is an acquired taste.....buying high end gucci gear don't make you a better shot, having some gun bling is cute.......but doing the defensive pistol thing with stuff that gets eat up from the inside out is something that i shall not do

this topic has been played out before......some years ago

to answer the question.....usually you get what you pay for....

savvy what a good gun plumber will advise on brand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are asking the internet how to spend a couple grand, who's the fucking retard? </div></div>

you!

the ISSUE here, as originally stated, is that i want to get something nice for myself as a reward for 25 plus years of LE dealing with the likes of the 2 morons that just can't help being stupid, and showing the world. the other replys that actually contribute to the discussion are appreciated. whatever i decide to get will be carried w/a permit, maybe used for defense, but mainly for fun shooting. if i decide to spend $500 or $5000 is my business. soliciting serious opinions b4 i do that is the purpose of the thread. if you can help me decide, please do and thanks. if on the other hand you just HAVE to be stupid and show everyone, do it somewhere else.

Les Baer makes a very accurate pistol. If you get one, when you first get it, you will probably have trouble racking the slide. This is ok. After the gun has had a few hundred rounds through it, you will most likely be able to rack the slide fairly easily. This change will not affect the gun's accuracy.

Since you want to spend possibly a few thousand dollars on a nice pistol, you might want to look at the Nighthawk Predator as well.

In my opinion, either of these brands are better than Wilson or Ed Brown. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sergeant69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the ISSUE here, as originally stated, is that i want to get something nice for myself as a reward for 25 plus years of LE dealing with the likes of the 2 morons that just can't help being stupid, and showing the world. the other replys that actually contribute to the discussion are appreciated. whatever i decide to get will be carried w/a permit, maybe used for defense, but mainly for fun shooting. if i decide to spend $500 or $5000 is my business. soliciting serious opinions b4 i do that is the purpose of the thread. if you can help me decide, please do and thanks. if on the other hand you just HAVE to be stupid and show everyone, do it somewhere else. </div></div>

I guess I was too nice. Don't waste your money on ammo. After a long career of writing reports in that English, perhaps you should take a class that emphasizes spelling and grammar instead.

But I'm a fucking retard because you have to ask if a pistol is "worth" the money when it costs 3x as one that does essentially the same thing, except to the most discriminating of users.

I've probably shot more pistol rounds in the last twelve months than you have in the last 25 years, and yet, somehow, I'm the fucking retard when you're the one who has no clue what you want. Real brainy there, smartass.

I'd offer my advice but I'm a ruhtard.........and that advice would be get a matching frame and slide from Caspian, and piece it together with all the parts you like. take or send said collection of parts to any competent smith and have him assemble it for ya, 1911's can be tricky.

OR........a Norinco 1911A1, fuk'n CLASSIC gun

You are welcome.

One of my friends has a Nighthawk Predator. The test target that came with it showed a 3-shot group of just under 1" at 15 yards. This was not particularly impressive, until I read what was written at the bottom of the target. The group consisted of one round fired by each of 3 different men, and each man used a different factory load.

If you like the fit and finish of the Nighthawk, you can't go wrong with it. Also, their pistols are coated with a ceramic/teflon coating of some sort, so the finish is not only rust-resistant, but more abrasion resistant than most finishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sergeant69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the ISSUE here, as originally stated, is that i want to get something nice for myself as a reward for 25 plus years of LE dealing with the likes of the 2 morons that just can't help being stupid, and showing the world. the other replys that actually contribute to the discussion are appreciated. whatever i decide to get will be carried w/a permit, maybe used for defense, but mainly for fun shooting. if i decide to spend $500 or $5000 is my business. soliciting serious opinions b4 i do that is the purpose of the thread. if you can help me decide, please do and thanks. if on the other hand you just HAVE to be stupid and show everyone, do it somewhere else. </div></div>

I guess I was too nice. Don't waste your money on ammo. After a long career of writing reports in that English, perhaps you should take a class that emphasizes spelling and grammar instead.

But I'm a fucking retard because you have to ask if a pistol is "worth" the money when it costs 3x as one that does essentially the same thing, except to the most discriminating of users.

I've probably shot more pistol rounds in the last twelve months than you have in the last 25 years, and yet, somehow, I'm the fucking retard when you're the one who has no clue what you want. Real brainy there, smartass. </div></div>

YOU again? and since we seem to be total opposites, and in YOUR WORDS i'm the "smartass", i guess that mekes you the ..............!! ( if you have trouble figuring it out just ask someone smarter than you. anyone!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gecko45?......mountainous? </div></div>

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sergeant69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THUNDER RANCH SPECIAL. am saving up for a retirement present. is this all its touted to be or would i be paying more for the name than the gun. anyone run of these? thanks. </div></div>

I had one that I had to get rid of. It was a EXCELLENT gun. I ended up putting well over 10,000 rounds of Wolf threw it, probably closer to 15,000. The only malfunction was in the first magazine, one FTF out of a butt load of rounds is pretty good in my book.

Money well spent. My next 1911 will be a Ed Brown Kobra Carry though.

Downzero said it right. High end 1911's aren't for clueless dipshits, they're for people who know exactly what they need in a pistol. If you aren't 100% convinced the Thunder Ranch Special has all the features you're looking for then it isn't a good value.

If I were to buy a Les Baer it wouldn't be a Thunder Ranch Special. Not because it isn't a good pistol, but because it doesn't have the features I look for in a pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy yourself whatever you want. Glad you made it to retirement. </div></div>

thank you. not there yet, but close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Les Baer makes a very accurate pistol. If you get one, when you first get it, you will probably have trouble racking the slide. <span style="color: #FF0000"> This is ok</span>. After the gun has had a few hundred rounds through it, you will most likely be able to rack the slide fairly easily.

</div></div>

IMHO this is definitely NOT OK. If I pay $3000 for a custom pistol, it damn sure better work when I take it out of the box, not 500 rounds later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Les Baer makes a very accurate pistol. If you get one, when you first get it, you will probably have trouble racking the slide. <span style="color: #FF0000"> This is ok</span>. After the gun has had a few hundred rounds through it, you will most likely be able to rack the slide fairly easily.

</div></div>

IMHO this is definitely NOT OK. If I pay $3000 for a custom pistol, it damn sure better work when I take it out of the box, not 500 rounds later.

</div></div>

If you want a loose pistol, buy a Taurus. A Les Baer is not going to come that loose, and you probably wouldn't want it to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Les Baer makes a very accurate pistol. If you get one, when you first get it, you will probably have trouble racking the slide. <span style="color: #FF0000"> This is ok</span>. After the gun has had a few hundred rounds through it, you will most likely be able to rack the slide fairly easily.

</div></div>

</div></div>

If you want a loose pistol, buy a Taurus. A Les Baer is not going to come that loose, and you probably wouldn't want it to. </div></div>

Who said anything about loose? A custom pistol too tight to function means somebody didn't finish their job. This is but one reason I wouldn't want a Les Baer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Les Baer makes a very accurate pistol. If you get one, when you first get it, you will probably have trouble racking the slide. <span style="color: #FF0000"> This is ok</span>. After the gun has had a few hundred rounds through it, you will most likely be able to rack the slide fairly easily.

</div></div>

IMHO this is definitely NOT OK. If I pay $3000 for a custom pistol, it damn sure better work when I take it out of the box, not 500 rounds later.</div></div>

If you are looking for 100% right out of the box then LB probably is not the one but then again, I'm not sure who is since my LB broke a bushing at 220 and Dad's Wilson needed to be reamed at 700 rounds.

My LB was incredibly tight out of the box, as are most LBs. They make them very tight so you need to get some rounds through it to break it in. Once you get a thousand down through it it will be tight and accurate as hell. Some of the folks that I shoot with love Baers for comp and many are still shooting those 2-3" 50 yard groups after 40k-60k rounds.

OP ...

They are good accurate guns but the fit and finish is not quite what I've seen on Wilsons and Nighthawks and the factory blued finish wears quickly. It's a work gun, not a pretty trophy gun so if you looking for a pretty safe queen then another brand may be a better choice especially if you want a lot of custom features. LB does not do a lot of fancy stuff from the factory however I can send you some links to some smiths that sell some really good custom Baers. If you are looking for something that you can shoot the crap out of the LB is a good choice. YMMV. IMHO, etc, etc.

Lowlight talks highly about a Volkman 1911 and they looked great in the pics he showed. Might want to check there. Volkman is supposed to be a great 1911 plumber. That would be my choice if I had to pick one. I believe any high end 1911 is going to be a good choice but I think that a custom built, hand crafted 1911 that has been finely tuned by a world class 1911 plumber will far outshine anything that is built on a factory floor.
Good luck with your choices and enjoy retirement.
........SmokeRolls

Les Baer is also not really a custom, it is a semi-custom and of the semi-customs (Brown, Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc), it is the cheapest. It also has the reputation for being the most accurate of all of those.

I don't know anything about Baers chewing themselves up from the inside out. I do know that you see a lot of them on the line at both IPSC and Bullseye comps. For Bullseye, a lot of people will do a trigger job on them and buy them with the 1.5" option.

As mentioned above, it boils down to your needs. And wants. I don't think someone is a douchebag for wanting one, but I think the way people like to work through these choice questions is to find out your needs, rather than saying, "I am thinking about buying an X, what do you think?"

I'm familiar with LB pistols. I have worked on several for people who got tired of being told "shoot another 1000 rounds through it" to get their gun to function.

i said all this in the first post its all in what the guy wants if those are the options he wants more power to him. some people just don't need a high end custom. they want to be able to push a button and get a nice one. some smiths will retain value more then others (chuck rogers, hilton yam, stan chen, christianson, morrison, etc). EVERYONE and their mother builds em now so just having a "custom" gun built on a caspian "pre fit" frame doesn't mean its goin to retain value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm familiar with LB pistols. I have worked on several for people who got tired of being told "shoot another 1000 rounds through it" to get their gun to function. </div></div>

Are you going to the Pumper show this week?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Les Baer is also not really a custom, it is a semi-custom and of the semi-customs (Brown, Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc), it is the cheapest. It also has the reputation for being the most accurate of all of those.

I don't know anything about Baers chewing themselves up from the inside out. I do know that you see a lot of them on the line at both IPSC and Bullseye comps. For Bullseye, a lot of people will do a trigger job on them and buy them with the 1.5" option.

As mentioned above, it boils down to your needs. And wants. I don't think someone is a douchebag for wanting one, but I think the way people like to work through these choice questions is to find out your needs, rather than saying, "I am thinking about buying an X, what do you think?" </div></div>

I'm glad you said that about Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk being semi-custom. A true custom is going to have a ton more hand fitting and bodywork and cost a couple grand more.

I'd buy a SA TRP and shoot it out. Along the way, play with others mentioned. In the end, you make the call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm familiar with LB pistols. I have worked on several for people who got tired of being told "shoot another 1000 rounds through it" to get their gun to function. </div></div>

Are you going to the Pumper show this week? </div></div>

LOL, not this time. Are you?

I have EDC'ed a TRS for the better part of 10yrs. I have 3 other Baers. I have a fair amount of rounds through them (TRS has 50k+ alone). I have been lucky (knock on wood) in that I have never had a breakage of any kind and all three flat out run - I know there are others out there that have not been as fortunate.

What about a TRS is so special to you?

Do you care about machine marks?

What is your opinion of extremely tight guns?

If it is too tight - can you use valve lapping compound by yourself?

Can you deal with the fact that Les and the factory have no concept of what CS means?

Understand - all of them turn out lemons on occasion - Baer built me a 10mm that was pathetic - wadded up 1/2 the brass in every mag despite 3 trips back - sold it. I had an Ed Brown that I sold pretty much immediately. My Dad just waited 12 weeks and Wilson sent him the wrong gun. Shit happens.

A TRS is likely going to be too tight to carry and be reliable for at least 500 (I'd say closer to 1k) rounds. Les' knock off Novak sights are too narrow in the rear and likely the trit vial will be slightly off center up front. His triggers are nothing to write home about but it is appropriate for a true carry gun. You are going to want to use some valve lap comp on the bushing so you can do it by hand. Let the slide / frame and the hood shoot in. It will be needlessly accurate for a self defense weapon. The bluing is very thin and you will see wear on the muzzle within 100 presentations. If you really EDC the weapon expect some rust under the grips and bare metal over most of the gun within a few years - so what. Folks who buy Baer should fully understand what they are getting - the cheapest, stupidly accurate, good quality package pistol that is most likely to run for 100k+ rounds out there. It isn't a beauty queen, its a work horse. On that note - all Baers are the same - the pricing is paint, ginger bread and hype. My SRP is literally a painted TRS. My UM is a P2 with some extra machining.

You really ought to consider a gently used Springer PRO.

BTW - folks I take cues from tend to carry hi-cap 9mms - and they have some very good reasons why.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm familiar with LB pistols. I have worked on several for people who got tired of being told "shoot another 1000 rounds through it" to get their gun to function. </div></div>

LOL, not this time. Are you?</div></div>

I had plane tickets and a hotel room and everything and my uncle passed unexpectedly, so I am missing again. I haven't been for 2 years now. I miss it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can you deal with the fact that Les and the factory have no concept of what CS means?

</div></div>

That's why to buy from Crazy John if you go with a Baer. His prices are the cheapest around and he will provide the CS that Les is lacking.

http://cj1911heaven.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm familiar with LB pistols. I have worked on several for people who got tired of being told "shoot another 1000 rounds through it" to get their gun to function. </div></div>

LOL, not this time. Are you?</div></div>

I had plane tickets and a hotel room and everything and my uncle passed unexpectedly, so I am missing again. I haven't been for 2 years now. I miss it. </div></div>

You guys referring to this? http://www.pumpershow.com/ I had to Google pumper show to figure out what the hell you might be talking about and that came up. I live in Louisville so weird coincidence. I'd say Louisville is going to lose some convention traffic due to passing an ordinance against full nude at the "gentleman's clubs". Apparently that was a big draw.

Sorry... cross conversation. I saw RADCustom's sig line and I had to say something. It is a small industry and the trade show is coming up. The poop jokes are plentiful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have EDC'ed a TRS for the better part of 10yrs. I have 3 other Baers. I have a fair amount of rounds through them (TRS has 50k+ alone). I have been lucky (knock on wood) in that I have never had a breakage of any kind and all three flat out run - I know there are others out there that have not been as fortunate.

What about a TRS is so special to you?

Do you care about machine marks?

What is your opinion of extremely tight guns?

If it is too tight - can you use valve lapping compound by yourself?

Understand - all of them turn out lemons on occasion - Baer built me a 10mm that was pathetic - wadded up 1/2 the brass in every mag despite 3 trips back - sold it. I had an Ed Brown that I sold pretty much immediately. My Dad just waited 12 weeks and Wilson sent him the wrong gun. Shit happens.

A TRS is likely going to be too tight to carry and be reliable for at least 500 (I'd say closer to 1k) rounds. Les' knock off Novak sights are too narrow in the rear and likely the trit vial will be slightly off center up front. His triggers are nothing to write home about but it is appropriate for a true carry gun. You are going to want to use some valve lap comp on the bushing so you can do it by hand. Let the slide / frame and the hood shoot in. It will be needlessly accurate for a self defense weapon. The bluing is very thin and you will see wear on the muzzle within 100 presentations. If you really EDC the weapon expect some rust under the grips and bare metal over most of the gun within a few years - so what. Folks who buy Baer should fully understand what they are getting - the cheapest, stupidly accurate, good quality package pistol that is most likely to run for 100k+ rounds out there. It isn't a beauty queen, its a work horse. On that note - all Baers are the same - the pricing is paint, ginger bread and hype. My SRP is literally a painted TRS. My UM is a P2 with some extra machining.

You really ought to consider a gently used Springer PRO.

BTW - folks I take cues from tend to carry hi-cap 9mms - and they have some very good reasons why.

Good luck

</div></div>

there is NOTHING special about a TRS to me. i have heard/read good things about it. thats why i started this thread, to ask questions and use others experiences so i could learn something. and other than a few dysfunctional misfits that just can't help displaying their " i drool when i speak" persona, you guys have really helped a lot. i can't afford to buy 5-6 diff. pistols and test each one and sell the ones i don't want so i wanted to hear from the ones that do shoot these guns. those that actually have and use the pistols discussed have opinions about em and i want to hear them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learn English, then post. It's pretty easy. </div></div>

he says as the drool runs down his face and he eats a booger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sergeant69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learn English, then post. It's pretty easy. </div></div>

he says as the drool runs down his face and he eats a booger.</div></div>

really!?! Dude, I respect your askin for others input on how you waste your money, and their thoughts and experiences to help better make an educated decision but now your just comin off stupid. For a retiree you sound like a 12 year old.....jus sayin

ur right! i sunk to his level. which is damn hard, i mean easy, to do. i promise to just ignore it from now on. sorry.

no sweat, I stick to my original opinion however. It's a retirement treat for yerself, I'd get a Caspian race ready recon frame, and put EXACTLY the parts you want on it. Could be a fun retirement project to build yourself, or if not comfortable with that have somebody assemble it for you. Jus sayin that's what I would do, or WILL do, who knows I still got 7 years to go