• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Less Competing/Practice for Me This Year Due to Shortages

IndianaRem5r

Major General
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Pawnee, IN
I'm seriously thinking about competing much less this year due to the reloading supply issues. Just not willing to pay high prices and spend time chasing supplies down. I will just wait it out and not be part of the problem. I plan to do some other fun sporting/hobby activities to keep me busy. Anybody else in the same boat?

Reactions: Darkside-Six
I think alot of people are in the same boat. So that is what i will do as well. Get in the boat and fish more. No gas shortage but prices gonna go through the roof

Same, I'll shoot maybe 4 local matches this season with WYCO PRL.

I have an engine to build for my car so I'll probably spend quite a bit of time (and money) on that.

I try and make every shot count. Consciously focus on WTF every time. I spend more time observing conditions and coaching friends than shooting but am still satisfied doing that if I help them improve and we all learn something in the process.

Reactions: captainmorgan460
I'm cutting back to a few local matches as well. I just don't have the time to spend hunting components and working up a bunch of strange loads I would only use for 1 or 2 matches.

Yes, unfortunately I'll likely be in the same boat. And that's a shame since I'm just starting up with PRS. And USPSA. Finally have the last one almost through school and have a little time, and there're no components or ammo.

I will try to shoot a couple of matches though. And go to one school.

Last edited:
I think there’s gonna be a lot of people in the same boat. I looked at how many rounds I shot on my match rifle this year and I have enough components to get me through the season if I cut back a little on practice. I usually shoot about 75 rounds per week on my match rifle and if I cut it back to about 50-60 I should make it no problem so I plan on hitting the same matches as I did last year. Also plan on shooting more of my 308 for practice as well. Figure if I can get a start picking up components as they come available throughout the year I’ll have a good start on next year.

But that also means I won’t be hitting any newer matches this year like I wanted.

I'm going to reduce the # of centerfire matches, but I'm pretty well stocked for 22 so I'm upping my game there.

That, and lots of fishing.

Powder, cases and bullets are still relatively available. It's primers that are the killer.

I am rationing my shooting based on the number of primers I have. I can still enjoy myself, and keep going for a couple of years and hopefully get over this hump. I'll also be out fishing a bunch in the boat & kayak. I started building my own custom rods and building my own lures this winter as well. With the price of ammo it's almost cheaper than shooting!

Failing that - once I get down to the wire I'll keep what I have left for a rainy day.

Reactions: demolitionman
Loading and shooting less.
Conserving resources.

Every shot down the tube is more important now.

Took up ham radio and skywarn classes emergency networks.

Several more online classes to get emergency management certs but thier free.

You don't have to burn gasoline to participate, sooner or later the shitstorm always finds me wherever I'm at.

I've got enough supplies to practice and compete at the close by matches this year. After that, it's a crap shoot. Have a pretty decent stash of 22LR
about, so it might be only rimfire for a bit after this year. If I run out of components, at least I don't have to feed a couple rifles while they aren't
being used.

Like I said before, some dont think it is a problem since they were well stocked for years.
Some were stocked for a year plus and some are running out allready.

But as competitors dwindle in the matches so will interest and sponsorship. Blatantly prizes and money will dry up.

Eventually the larger matches won't be worth the set up expenses without adequate support and participation.

This is allready beginning, and range owners are in trouble.

A one cold bore shot turkey shoot anyone? Sounds like a great way to spend 10 minutes.

I think you’ll actually see a lot of people improve this year if they continue to practice.

People will start focusing more on making every shot count.

I'm new to PRS, but my plan is to practice what I can live fire, but also supplement with dry fire and position work. I am active in 3 gun as well, but that will see a substantial drop just because of the large amount of ammo just shooting a local requires. I'm also going to get a 22 setup to shoot some rimfire shoots.

Like I said before, some dont think it is a problem since they were well stocked for years.
Some were stocked for a year plus and some are running out allready.

But as competitors dwindle in the matches so will interest and sponsorship. Blatantly prizes and money will dry up.

Eventually the larger matches won't be worth the set up expenses without adequate support and participation.

This is allready beginning, and range owners are in trouble.

A one cold bore shot turkey shoot anyone? Sounds like a great way to spend 10 minutes.
What matches are having a hard time filling up? I’m not seeing it. Sure, some will cut back, but with waiting lists at most matches I’ve been shooting, I don’t see it leading to range owners being in trouble

What matches are having a hard time filling up? I’m not seeing it. Sure, some will cut back, but with waiting lists at most matches I’ve been shooting, I don’t see it leading to range owners being in trouble
There were only 73 at the Zermatt Arms Yeti Challenge.

I wasn't there but I though that was low compared to other years.

Nope. I hope to shoot more this year than any other year. The only thing I am short on is time.

Reactions: ChidJ
There were only 73 at the Zermatt Arms Yeti Challenge.

I wasn't there but I though that was low compared to other years.
It was 95 people last year so yes it was less. I think this year it 2 short of being sold out but I’m not sure why there were less available squads.

Reactions: Geno C.
@Geno C.

In the DFW area my wife competes weekly in rifle and pistol matches.

She is match director for one of them. The attendance is down.

Her network in a large group of women shooters accross the states confirmed this as well we know the owner.

They shoot small bore, ar, shotgun, pistol ect. And are contemplating replacing some of the shooting with archery and other events.

This is much to the dismay of the range owners and operators we personally know. One range owner has an ammo buyer on staff that is his sole responsibility all day every day.

This is what I based my opinion on for what it's worth.

I haven't competed in or attended any events recently for various reasons.

Reactions: Geno C.
Yes. We shoot FTR and SR. Going to pick and choose which matches we shoot. Probably 1/2 as many as previous years.

Unless ammo availability increases dramatically, I won't be shooting nearly what I did last year. I was shooting USPSA PCC or steel matches 3-4 times a week last year and shooting precision 22 once or twice a week. I don't have nearly enough ammo to do that this year. At this point one time a week all summer for 9mm is probably too much.