• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lesson learned, maybe...

Austan

Uncontrollable Fringe Outlaw
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2007
    Spooner, Wisconsin
    So here is an interesting little story. A few months ago a fella on my route asks me one day if I'd try to clean up a black powder rifle for him. The rifle had belonged to his brother and after his brothers death, it now belonged to him. He doesn't hunt or shoot but he held onto for a few years. One day he looked in the case and saw it had some rust on it. So knowing I dabble in these things, he asks me to look at it. I did and I told him to hang it the wall as it's likely done for. He told me to keep it. Just what I need, more junk.

Well today it's a blizzard outside and I'm cleaning a few rifles from hunting season for myself and others and the rifle is in the corner. Well lets take a look and see how bad off this is. I got some of the rust off and the plug out and low and behold the damn thing is still loaded. I don't have a cleaning rod or any other rod small enough to get at through the breech end to push it out. But what I do have is compressed air and a reckless disregard for my safety. I couldn't quite get the air in there and needed something long enough to get at it from the back. I rooted around in the tool box and found a punch. Some disassembly and pipe tape, that should do it. So I'm sitting there in the kitchen blasting this thing full of compressed air when my wife walks in from the toy drive she was helping with today.

"What the hell are you doing" she exclaims!

"I'm cleaning this rifle" (as if it weren't obvious )

"This is what happens when I leave you alone in the house"!

And then at the most perfect moment the bullet blasts out of the muzzle and strikes the refrigerator at the base of the door.

"Wow, it worked" I said.

"You tried to do that"? As you can imagine she was less enthusiastic with my self proclaimed brilliance.

Here are some pics. All of the numbers and letters survived.
    IMG_1251.jpg

Here is the small dent left after clean up.
    IMG_1252.jpg

Found the sabot portion, haven't recovered the bullet. I think it went toward the dishes in the sink.
    IMG_1257.jpg

the rigged up items.
    IMG_1255.jpg

I'm still surprised it worked. I couldn't get a very good seal between the punch body and the blow gun. I thought the whole thing was amusing and if you're stuck inside today and read the whole thing, I hope you are amused as well.

Have a great day.

Austan

Re: Lesson learned, maybe...

Powerbelt to the fridge! 280grains @ 100fps. Poor penetration and expansion, but I don't think you caught vitals. The fridge will likely recover. What muzzleloader are you playing with in the kitchen?

And how did you talk your wife into installing an air compressor in the kitchen? To blast off that stubborn dried food residue on the dishes?

You'll never find that bullet. Being a Powerbelt, at 100fps it probably fragged on impact.

Here is part of what it looked like.

IMG_1256.jpg

And the after picture from cleaning. I think this thing will work now that it's clean. Everything on it functions and I got most all the rusty stuff clean with only some minor pitting. I may just have to whack a deer and give it to the old fella.

IMG_1258.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And how did you talk your wife into installing an air compressor in the kitchen? To blast off that stubborn dried food residue on the dishes?</div></div>

I did build the kitchen from bare studs, but that's not why I was in there. It's the closest warm room to the covered porch where the compressor is currently living.

I used to do a little wrenching in the kitchen till a mini 14 went off and shot a hole in the the wall. The landlords where upset my wife was mad as hell this was 30 years back and now my son who is 12 is told a gun is always loaded treat it like it is even if you know its empty. I learned the hard way but no one was hurt thank God.I am glad it all worked out one must be careful not to get the Darwin award my son also asked what that was and I told him who ever gets the award is dead.

Looks like another muzzle-loader that's mostly done for. Maybe it will work but won't be very pretty anymore. For the most part it's best to clean a m-l later the same day you shoot it. You can go a little longer with Blackhorn 209. I once traded a BP handgun to a guy. Later when I checked on it the gun was all rusted up, never to be shot again. A shame.

Poor Knight rifle. That was a good shooter at one time. I have spare breech plugs and stuff if you need em. Pm me.

Funny you mention Knight. I thought this was knight rifle too. It looks identical to the knight rifle I have. I used my knight tools to take it apart even, but it's a Thompson Center. I kind of hope it still shoots good, the trigger is ten times better than my knight.