• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let’s play: Range this p dog in mils....

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    So if the p dog is 10”(???) standing.... I get 280yds... what say you?
    EE97C726-5F69-4639-A003-F3572EE8DFF6.jpeg

I looked it up, I can’t find how tall they are sitting up... I guess 10” since they can be 12-15” long..?

I guessed 10" too but now I'm second guessing. I think it might be taller. If I was shooting my .223, I would dial in .9 mil and then hold at top of head just in case it's taller than 10". I think it would still hit.

Reactions: Bender
    My scope was off, I think I dialed a Mil last time I used it, but the set screws came loose, so I was holding everything, I had had to hold under at closer shots.... lol... I was a mess, but it was fun adjusting hold after seeing splash!!

Have you ever tried to take a picture of a small moving target through a F1 scope? That shit ain't easy or precise unless you have the right tools, which a cellphone is definitely not.
    Never did it, but I was busting balls too

If it's the white object, then 923 yards.

Last edited:
    it looked a bit under a mil to me. Am I looking at the right thing?

it looked a bit under a mil to me. Am I looking at the right thing?

I ranged the white object only and figured it was .3 mils. I'm guessing it's a beer box turned inside out? (white side)

9/10 tall. How tall is a PDog?

Think 12 oz bottle of Coke, that's a good average. The really big ones (Jabba the Hut) might be a little higher, but are way wider.

P. dog is 190-200. Box 600-650.

The prarie dog is .95 mils, at 10" tall it is 292 yards.

The box is .35 mils, at 10" wide it is 793 yards. Using 10.15" inches it is 805 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
    280y on the dog. Probable kill, average conditions, 1st shot around 70-80% Would be a little easier for me with higher magnification. Dirty little things.
    Good post.

If the prairie dog is presumed to be 10" tall, and it is just under 1 mil tall...my Mil Dot master says it is 280 yards.
    That goes to illustrate just how hard it is to determine range using this method. A 0.15" difference in actual size made a 12 yard difference in the math on the box (793 vs 805 yards). A difference of .05mils in the measurement through the scope makes a 15 yard difference on the prarie dog (277 vs 292 yards).

That goes to illustrate just how hard it is to determine range using this method. A 0.15" difference in actual size made a 12 yard difference in the math on the box (793 vs 805 yards). A difference of .05mils in the measurement through the scope makes a 15 yard difference on the prarie dog (277 vs 292 yards).

That's why we call it 'range estimation' ;)

What Skookum said about the difficulty in measuring yardage with this method is absolutely correct. At longer distances where the trajectory is more rainbow like, the effect of an incorrect yardage assessment is even worse. Using a 308 at 960 yards a ranging estimate that is +/- 5 yards means you are within 10 yards. The likelihood of a miss is very high.

I used a micrometer caliper on the mil scale in the scope and on the prairie dog, but even at that, if the prairie dog is 8" or 12" instead of 10" the ranging guess is just a guess. At 270-290 yards with a hot 6.5mm round it probably won't matter all that much..but with a 308 the ranging is more critical.

Bender makes a good point about wind calls. While electronic devices can get us very accurate distance measurements, and even account for up or down angle shots, accurate wind calls are probably harder to get right. I can usually do pretty good on the distance part, because with laser range finders it is largely mechanical if your elevation dope is good. I still think wind calling is somewhere between an art, and voodoo...I am in awe of people who can call wind accurately.

IIRC, it was the famous high power shooter Tubb who said something like elevation calls at matches are pretty easy, he wins matches based on wind calls.

i measured him with calipers......hes sitting right at 1.1 MIL.......assuming hes on average 14" tall.......ive got him pegged at 350yds.

hes standing in grass, so you have to be sure to add a smidgen for his feet that you cant see.

I took dial calipers like those shown in mcameron's post about 2 above mine, measured the height of the groundhog in the photo, then compared that measurement to the Mil scale in the photo of the scope. As Bender and others have rightly pointed out, we don't know the height of THAT groundhog...we can guess the height of the average groundhog, but the one in the photo could either be a pup, or a giant groundhog, and that 2-3 inches of height difference can make a difference when comparing to the mil scale. We know the height of a mil at 100 yards/meters, but if our groundhog is 2" shorter, or taller than "normal" the comparison to the mil scale will be inaccurate. A difference of -2" or +2" is a 4" difference. An 8" groundhog is 33% shorter than a 12" groundhog... Just choot it....take the shot....take the shot....take the shot.

My scope was off, I think I dialed a Mil last time I used it, but the set screws came loose, so I was holding everything, I had had to hold under at closer shots.... lol... I was a mess, !
    Lmao. Rofl c’mon Bender. Get your shit together. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: