• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Let the debate begin: Best Accuracy Can 7.62

texasredneck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Houston, Texas
Been searching the forum and have not found a discussion on this topic (it's probably there, but I can't find it)

Looking for the most accurate QD set up for a Noveske AR-10.

Read about the 7.62 SDN-6 and the mount isssues. I like my 30-P1 on my bolt gun but I would like QD if I can find an acceptable accuracy can.

Would appreciate your comments and suggestions before I drop 1 grand or so on a can with poor accuracy.

Thanks, TRN

Re: Let the debate begin: Best Accuracy Can 7.62

What are you referring to as far as accuracy? Are you talking about POA shift with the can on and off, or best accuracy with the can on?

As far as zero shift, Surefire cans seem to have a good reputation with their fast attach suppressors....be prepared to spend a lot of money though.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not really worried about POI shift as long as it is repeatable and I'm looking for the best accuracy with the can on.

TRN

Opinions will wildly vary. I run a YHM Phantom QD 7.62 and the recorded shift for several rifles has been solid for the year and a half I have used it. Each gun is very accurate with or without the suppressor.

I hear DTA has come out with some that may not be as quiet but claim to have very minimal POI change over all so you dont need a dope for can on and dope for off,as far as cost gos...no idea.

GGmanning how you liking that phantom QD? what caliber\s are you running it on?

OK, Can you surefire guys give me some stats even if they are anecdotal? Is the extra money worth it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burglecutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GGmanning how you liking that phantom QD? what caliber\s are you running it on? </div></div>

.223, .243, .308, 30/06 The /06 has no relevant shift, the others have a max of 0.4 mils. To get better all around can you have to spend a lot more money in my opinion. Again if we could use them hunting I would have a different set of needs. The YHM is a solid (albeit old) design but it is heavy and big. Lots of debate over QD vs thread on for accuracy....but I have zero issues and I like that I visually know where the can is seated by the teeth on the QD mount. Most on here that know much about accuracy recommend thread on but my experience with the QD has been very good.

I have the following cans,

Surefire,
ThunderBeast 30P-1
Gemtech Sandstorm
Jet .30
AWC Thor
Shark 30
AAC 7.62SD

Accuracy wise, the ThunderBeast is the most accurate can and the best choice when you consider what you get versus what you spend.

I have other cans too, but they are pretty specific like my Tac Ops 30, it is only made for my Tac Ops rifle and won' t fit any other rifle I have.

Of that list I am not counting 338 or 5.56, but at the end of the day, having shot all of the above that are single point threaded on the same rifle, the ThunderBeast is the best can I have.

The Surefire is good, but I have seen swings from rifle to rifle, the muzzle brakes are very specific and not all are consistent. I can certainly change them but 2 out of 4 rifles display a shift because of an issues with the muzzle brake. The fact they are timed make it a bit of a project to just say, he let's swap it. The other 2 rifles are very good. But the SF is pricey when compared to many of the others.

I have the gemtech HVT QD and it does fine. Wish I would have done more research, would have bought the Thunderbeast. Seems for long range accuracy on a 308 it is tops.
With regards to my HVT QD I really can't say accuracy is any better or worse. Have taken it to 550 yards and group size is unchanged (on my POF 308). Shot it this morning on my remington 700 and at 590 yards was getting 5 shot groups around 6-7 inches on steel. It does shoot the first round high through cold suppressor, which is a little annoying.
I will say I love shooting suppressed! Hard to find a reason to take the can off now. Here is a group at 590 yds from this morning:
5shots.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the following cans,

Surefire,
ThunderBeast 30P-1
Gemtech Sandstorm
Jet .30
AWC Thor
Shark 30
AAC 7.62SD

Accuracy wise, the ThunderBeast is the most accurate can and the best choice when you consider what you get versus what you spend.

I have other cans too, but they are pretty specific like my Tac Ops 30, it is only made for my Tac Ops rifle and won' t fit any other rifle I have.

Of that list I am not counting 338 or 5.56, but at the end of the day, having shot all of the above that are single point threaded on the same rifle, the ThunderBeast is the best can I have.

The Surefire is good, but I have seen swings from rifle to rifle, the muzzle brakes are very specific and not all are consistent. I can certainly change them but 2 out of 4 rifles display a shift because of an issues with the muzzle brake. The fact they are timed make it a bit of a project to just say, he let's swap it. The other 2 rifles are very good. But the SF is pricey when compared to many of the others.
</div></div>

Thank to all who have weighed in.

Frank, I too own the 30P-1 on that shorty gap 308 and it is a great suppressor.

When you say that the SF brakes are very specific and not all are consistent, can you please elabortate? I like the idea of being able to easily move from suppressed to unsuppressed and possibly change host weapons easily.

I hear that TB makes a break with a thread on can? Is that true and does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks again, all. Just want to get it right the first time. Buy once, cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasRedNeck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hear that TB makes a break with a thread on can? Is that true and does anyone have experience with that?
</div></div>
http://www.thunderbeastarms.com/products/30ba
We also have a .338 version, the 338BA, which you can find on the web site.

The 30BA has proved to be as accurate and repeatable as the 30P-1; it just mounts over our brake. Ray won the 2011 Steel Safari with one last year.

i did a lot of searching locally and online, and the answer I found was the 30p-1 or the brake attach version. i have one on the way now, but i think that we need to add to the buy once, cry once phrase, wait once.

For a QD, I'd look at Gemtech or YHM. TBAC would be the most accurate if you want to go with their brake. I ended up deciding against a QD can and went with the 30P-1.

There are some really good choices on the list already.

Don't forget to add the Ops Inc 12th and 3rd Model products to the list. They are proven performers and are (IMHO) the quietest suppressors on the market. ADCO usually has these in stock.

Too bad SWR isn't making the Omega 30. I was hoping they'd update the product a bit by shedding some weight but even though it is on the heavy side it typically has minimal POI shift, won't adversely affect groups and is pretty darn quiet. If may still be able to find these around.

Mark

TAG. I have a hard time deciding too. I don't mind moving suppressors back and forth. But what else am I going to get that will do the job as good if not better then the 30P-1. TBAC builds that good of a suppressor!!!!

The 30ba is great, its slightly quicker detach than the p-1 as there are not quite as many threads...but I wouldnt consider it a quick detach.

If you dont have the need to remove the can with the "push of a button" or 1.5 turns or anything like that, I would definitely go 30BA. The only downfall is buying multiple brakes for it...

The best can I have used by far is the Elite Iron Bravo. It is very quite and very repeatable with no lateral shift. You can buy almost 3 of these cans for the price of a Surefire, and they are alot quiter.

Well, barring any eye opening information to come, it looks like the Thunderbeast 338-BA may be the way to go. That way I can run it on the AR-10 and my 300 WM. I have the 30P-1, but hear that the 338 can may be the way to go for maximum sound attenuation. Then If I do get a 338 later, I can always make it do triple duty.

Thank you to all who have commented. It is greatly appreciated and I will continue to monitor comments.

TRN

Surefire for QD and awesome accuracy. PM me your cell number and I can send you some pics and put you in touch with a SF dealer who is here on the Hide that gives the best prices, they are under $1400.

If you don't need a QD go ThunderBeast

Ill preface this by saying I dont yet own a can, however am in the market for one and havent heard much lately about the SAS Ti Arbiter.

The reviews I've read seem to be pretty solid at a really nice price point and minimal POI shift.

Anyone with some experience with this can want to chime in?

Thanks

Steve

Well you wont be disappointed one bit in that decision! I havent used my 338ba yet on the 308, but its suppression abilities on 338LM are unreal. Literally if you were blind, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference shooting 308/30p1 next to 338lm/338ba.

My favorite part about this can is that it is MASSIVE, but I laugh every time I pick it up because its so light.

I think the Thunderbeast 30P1 was pretty impressive in Lowlight's comparison test.

It may very well be the best in the accuracy and POI shift department.

I really hated seeing this thread. My pocket is already full of nothing but lint. Guess it will give me plenty to read while I think about how bad I want and could use one though.

What are we looking at exactly?

If that was at 100 yards, I see an approx 1.5 moa or larger "zero 308" group in the center, which isn't a good starting point for any comparison in this game.

I kind of thought the "flyer" in the center group might have been one round prior to a zero adjustment, but I thought that would have been noted.

Not sure, but that is the only target I have seen thus far that shows how the Jet, Shark, TB, THOR, Gemtech shot at the same session by the same skilled person with the same rifle and ammo. I agree with your observation and wouldn't think one could make too much of it or by it.

You have to understand I threw that out and said nothing about it because it was a mess having to use the Dealer's Range. Zak knows Alan and it was a bit of a pain in the ass to get into the "zone" because

1. The highway was louder than the meter range at 100 yards,

2. Everybody wanted to visit, and see the cool stuff

3. I was on a very tight time schedule so rushed doesn't even begin to explain it.

I did not make anything public because there was a lot of factors... and the only group I recall being different on the TBAC was the Subsonic had 1 flyer which again, could have been me, I seem to recall the 5 shot group being sub 1/2 and no other can did that...

Shot my 30-P1 today for the first time since my dealer got it in back in July.
Screwed it on a 24" M40 profile GAP built 6.5CM
POI changed 3/4MOA Left & 1/2MOA Down.
Made adjustments, then shot a <1/4MOA 5 shot group, one nice ragged hole, best ever from this rifle.

Well, if the 338BA is as good as my 30P-1, then it will be one great can. Now just need to wait for the smoke to clear on my credit card from the Dillon 650 with 3 caliber changes that I got this weekend before I make the wife any madder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my 30-P1 today for the first time since my dealer got it in back in July.
Screwed it on a 24" M40 profile GAP built 6.5CM
POI changed 3/4MOA Left & 1/2MOA Down.
Made adjustments, then shot a <1/4MOA 5 shot group, one nice ragged hole, best ever from this rifle.
</div></div>

It doesn't sound like there is much room for improvement!

I know this can isn't on your list, but I had the chance to shoot the Delta P Brevis during SHOT(the short one). Very nice can. Accuracy was great! Sound suppression was as good as any at the range (remember this is SHOT). Also this can is nearly half as long as most (less than 5").

We shot 308 (both super and subsonic), 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7 SUAM through the shorty Brevis 7.62 can. All I can say is amazing! Plus that thing looked flat sexy on my DTA.

My order is in for a 6.5 can.

TBA... You can read all day long, and all you will hear is good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this can isn't on your list, but I had the chance to shoot the Delta P Brevis during SHOT(the short one). Very nice can. Accuracy was great! Sound suppression was as good as any at the range (remember this is SHOT). Also this can is nearly half as long as most (less than 5").

We shot 308 (both super and subsonic), 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7 SUAM through the shorty Brevis 7.62 can. All I can say is amazing! Plus that thing looked flat sexy on my DTA.

My order is in for a 6.5 can. </div></div>
+1 on the Delta P brevis, I have an AWC thundertrap can but my next purchase has got to be the delta P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lionsden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill preface this by saying I dont yet own a can, however am in the market for one and havent heard much lately about the SAS Ti Arbiter.

The reviews I've read seem to be pretty solid at a really nice price point and minimal POI shift.

Anyone with some experience with this can want to chime in?

Thanks

Steve </div></div>

Just bought me an Arbiter and two others from SAS. I know Tim (owner) very well and he is a strait forward guy with an OUTSTANDING product. The only reason SAS cans are not as well known is he really does'nt market them at all but rest assured the sales is about more than they can handle. SAS cans have very little if any POI shift that is repeatable and super accurate. If your rifle is 1/2 MOA it still will be with a SAS can on it. I live close to SAS and stop by the shop alot so they are not something I heard about from a cousins uncles friend.

Give mile high shooting or Tim @ SAS a shout as I assure you be satisfied!

SAS cans are great. They were really big here on the board a year or so ago, not mentioned so much now. I have one and the performance is fantastic, in repeatability, suppression, ands accuracy.

They make a QD model as well, which from what I have read is every bit as good as the single point.

They are .300 win mag rated also, not sure why you would buy a .338 can to put on two .30 Cal rifles...

I shot this this morning with a 30BA on my AI-AWP using FGMM 175gr. The story behind the "group" is that I moved one of the Steiner 3-12 Military scopes onto the rifle, which I use primarily for student use and demos, and needed to zero it. I had one box of FGMM 175 with four rounds left, and one full box. The aiming point for the first shot is a marker spot off the photo. After the first shot, I adjusted 0.8 mils down and 1.0 right and then used the first hole as the new aiming point to shoot the remaining 3 rounds left in the box. This barrel has approx 7000 rounds through it.

Keno,

Thanks for the info on SAS, Ive already been in talks with Jamie at Mile High and apparently they are getting a few cans from Tim in a couple weeks.

Im planning on the direct thread Ti Arbiter. Im excited to get my first can... in a few months!

Steve

I'm waiting on paper for my SAS Ti Arbiter. I havent shot it yet so I cant comment on accuracy but, in my research for the best suppressor for accuracy it came down to the 30P1 or the Arbiter. I purchased the Thread Over Muzzle Brake mount.

I hope this isn't redundamt, but I think you might be dissapointed going to another can after using the 30 p-1.
My personal next choice would be the AAC-SDN-6. It has a QD option.
Hope that helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">citius altius fortius

</div></div>
LOL! Tutus vos!

relevo curtus quietis

Wow. Thanks all for the input. Much apprecaited.

Zak, nice shooting. Hannibal, I think you are right. probably going back to TBAC for the 338BA