• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let's Look After Our Older Friends....

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
I had a rough day yesterday, and would like to share a little and maybe let this thread act as a Public Service Announcement, of sorts.

I usually drop in and hang out with an old neighbor lady of mine, a friend of almost a decade, and one who had been in very poor health for the last several years. Her health had limited her movements greatly, so about once a week I would drop by and do some chores for her, ask if she needed me to run errands (she can no longer drive, blind in one eye).

So on Sunday I drop by her house, knock on the door, no answer. Then I called, twice, no answer. On Monday I called again and still no answer, so I went to her house, and again knocked on the door.

Again, no answer. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Years ago she handed me her "In Case of Emergency Contact List". I've never called the numbers until yesterday. The contacts eventually got ahold of her son, who immediately scrambled to her house.

After breaking into her house, my friend was soon discovered in the bath tub/shower, having collapsed, and it was determined that she was dire need of medical attention. She was trapped in the shower and unable to escape, for what we determined was about a day and a half. Ironically, in the position that collapsed, she couldn't reach the water, and is now, after the paramedics transferred her to the ICU, on death's door due to severe dehydration. Luckily she didn't break a leg or hip slipping in the shower/tub, as I had feared, since in her failing health this would have been almost certainly fatal. She couldn't reach the phone, a landline, and was too weak to yell. She simply could not extricate herself from the tub.

As you might have been expecting, she indeed lived alone, with just friends to stop by to help on occasion.

Her condition right now is touch and go in the ICU. When I saw her in the ICU last night she couldn't speak and was very obviously dehydrated, looking worse than I had ever seen her.

Guys.....Oh man, that sickening pit in my stomach and the hair standing up on my neck told me something was not right.

So here's my PSA: If you know someone in this type of condition, drop in and say hello once in a while, stay and chat, and run a few errands for them. It can't hurt to be suspicious when those phone calls and door knocks go unanswered. Listen to your gut--if it tells you something isn't right, it might not be. Let's look after our older friends when they can't do so for themselves.

Let's face facts: Someday it could be any one of us in the shower experiencing that type of hell. None of us are getting younger (I'm 38), and now I'm really dreading old age.

I'm really, really, really, dreading old age....

You'd be surprised at just how often this happens to the elderly. We get countless "welfare checks" and a good number of them up in the elderly being an unattended doa. I remember a going on a job much like the one you describe. The precinct cops had requested our assistance in forcing entry to the apartment. The poor woman had been sitting on the toilet and somehow ended up falling off and getting wedged in between the toilet and the vanity. Been stuck like that for a few days and had some open sores on her legs with maggots eating away at her skin. Still alive but barely.

Its standup thing what you did for her. I'm sure you made her life a hell of a whole lot more enjoyable just by being there for her. Prayers for your friends speedy recovery.

My neighbor Mr Fred is 98 (WW2 Vet)and has lived by himself for the last 15 years. His son is 78 and in worse shape than his Dad.
photo_zpse453be8e.jpg

Mr Fred and me.

Mr Fred is ungodly hard headed. Doesn't want to go to a nursing home or wants any help from anyone. Well besides from my wife and I. We bring him food, write his checks...... just trying to be neighborly. His house is a dump and will get so mad if you try to throw any trash away.

While checking on him two months ago. He complained about his leg. I looked at his leg and about puked. Asked him if anything else was bothering him. "Well my feet don't feel right". So like a goof ball I take his shoes off.

Don't look if you have a weak stomach.

photo_zps49c7b3c6.jpg

photo_zpsf5765d42.jpg

I couldn't call 911 fast enough.

photo_zps7cdb0d18.jpg

He had gangrene and some type of bone infection.

Mr Fred is going to be able to keep his right foot but they almost cut it off due to gangrene.

photo_zps5d870199.jpg

All he wants to do is go home. It's a sad deal. Since Mr Fred has never asked anyone for anything. It a headache finding his Medicare and Medicaid. DD214 ( not sure what they even called it back in 1947).

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. I'm typing on a ipad mini.

Krav69-I read your string, and looked at those sad photos-all I can say is you are a fine man, God Bless you!

I read this before and thought I should say something but didn't want to get slapped around
This morning I found one of my neighbors had fallen and couldn't get up. Just like the old TV Ad.
She was out of sync. as to her normal routine, so I went and rang the bell. No answer. Too early?
I went an hour later and still nothing so I went around back and looked in the big glass doors.
There she was, down on the floor.
I went out in the garden and got the key and cleaned it off. In a plastic baggie and been there for 7 years so took a little cleaning. I went in and got her squared away as best I could and called the ambulance.
They took her to the hospital and she is much better now.
We are for the most part Old Farts in my hood. Years ago we had a "Block Party." Picnic and all. There are 7 houses here.
We each took a house key and everyone together went from house to house and in the back yard or garden we wrapped the key up and hid it so everyone knew where it was. [ Helps when you have Gray Moments in memory.] all you have to do is ask the neighbor where it is.
I was trying to remember how many times the keys have been used and it is so many I can't remember, not all emergencies, sometimes to go check on an animal that may have been left inside and they are miles away,etc. ad nauseum. Five of them have been Med. calls and no broken down doors.
I realize this type of thing can't work everywhere as there isn't that type of trust everywhere, however it is what works for us here.
Regards, FM PS probably would not work in NYC.

Last edited:
I have the utmost respect for people that look after the elderly. They need all the help they can get! Screwed if they live alone, and even more screwed at nursing homes / rehab centers. They go thru so many indignities in those places! I live in one of the richest counties in the US and stepping into one of those institutions is like going to a third world country; lucky if you find anyone that speaks English!

Last edited:
Not meaning to take anything from the OP.

Mr Fred T Lowrey passed Saturday morning. He was in the CCC's, WW2 Vet, retired from two different full time jobs. Never asked for any help from anyone, surely didn't expect nothing for not doing anything. Never complained. He was a real deal member of the greatest generation. He was my friend and neighbor.

Friday night he told my wife and I that he loved us. Called my wife by her real name and not a nickname, for the first time ever.

Before leaving the hospital Friday night. He wanted to tell us he was saved and not to worry about him anymore.

I lost my grandfather over the weekend. We were really close and he taught me everything I know about fishing, hunting and marksmanship. The guy was a badass, when he was in high school he boxed. Not at his school, but he would tell his dad he was "studying" and go to the state prison for teens and box with their team. His dad ran the one diner in town and had no idea his son was boxing. One night my grandfather knocked out some guy and won the match for the state school team. Well, all the towns men who saw the fight went to his dads diner the next day to congratulate him on what a fine boxer his son was. That's when his dad learned the my grandfather had been boxing. lol!

Make time for the older folks. They have some stories to tell, and they'll be very grateful for your company.

It's tough to see posts like this, but it is entirely necessary. My grandfather required an immense amount of care in his later years. My grandmother required the same. My Mother was widowed with two kids. She cared for all of us. It is a heavy burden to bare. It restores my hope in humanity to see kind folks look after people you have no obligation to.

Not meaning to take anything from the OP.

Mr Fred T Lowrey passed Saturday morning. He was in the CCC's, WW2 Vet, retired from two different full time jobs. Never asked for any help from anyone, surely didn't expect nothing for not doing anything. Never complained. He was a real deal member of the greatest generation. He was my friend and neighbor.

Friday night he told my wife and I that he loved us. Called my wife by her real name and not a nickname, for the first time ever.

Before leaving the hospital Friday night. He wanted to tell us he was saved and not to worry about him anymore.

Man, kinda choked up. Godspeed Mr Fred.

Well the worst has happened in my case. The lady of which I wrote passed away last night, peacefully, and not suffering in any way.

Lemme tell you guys why I loved her, and you'll see what I mean. This is a conversation I wrote down on paper some 6 years ago, as I thought it was amusing.

My Friend: "I just saw the coolest show on tv! It had these sniper guys dressed up like bushes and shooting people".
Me: "Uh...okay".
My Friend: "It gave me an idea. We should round up all the snipers and send them to all these shitty countries so they can blow away terrorist assholes".
Me: "Uh...I thought you didn't like war?"
My Friend: "I don't!! But this way we can get our soldiers out of those shithole countries faster, and then we'd throw a massive party when they get back!".
Me: "Sounds like a great idea to me".
My Friend: "And some of those snipers were sooo hunky!"
Me: "Okay, now I know the real reason you want them back so badly!!"

Rest In Peace Patricia Villano, Wheat Ridge, Colorado.

Rest In Peace Mr. Fred Lowry, we could use more people like you right now....

Lives well lived, gents....

Sad days for sure and they happen all too often.

I see elderly folks living alone all the time and we respond to EMS calls for the elderly all too often. Krav has a great point and I want to add to it if I can.

If you have an elderly neighbor whether or not you know them well it may be time to stop in and say hello. While doing so obtain their emergency contact info for family members.
If you have an elderly neighbor and notice lights staying off or on when they shouldn't be, knock on the door or call your local LE agency and request a welfare check.
If you have an elderly neighbor and notice you haven't seen them when you normally do, knock on the door or call your local LE agency and request a welfare check.

I have responded on way too many calls that didn't have a happy ending.