• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk bipods

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Im in the market. Im not super operator/Ninja/Seal/Killer Diller Miller. I dont have to have the absolute best at any price to be discarded or sold when the next new absolute best comes along. I just need a good, serviceable, unit at a fair price.

Ive looked at Atlas, Accu tec, and Magpul. For the money the Magpul seems to do what its supposed to do without frills and a lot of expense, but not having used it Im not sure if its worth the money. What would the 3X as pricey ones give me that the Magpul wont?

Also, are the Arca and Picatinny interchangeable?

I have Atlas, Harris and Accu-Tac's I prefer the Atlas over the others, but I've spent more time using those, so take it for what it's worth
    The Harris and all the little springs leave me un interested. The Gunwerks one looks nice but a considerable investment. Maybe its a 'Buy once, cry one' time.

Reactions: TheDude219
    Im in the market. Im not super operator/Ninja/Seal/Killer Diller Miller. I dont have to have the absolute best at any price to be discarded or sold when the next new absolute best comes along. I just need a good, serviceable, unit at a fair price.

Ive looked at Atlas, Accu tec, and Magpul. For the money the Magpul seems to do what its supposed to do without frills and a lot of expense, but not having used it Im not sure if its worth the money. What would the 3X as pricey ones give me that the Magpul wont?

Magpul sucks heavy ass. It isn't very stable. I would buy a Harris if in that price range

If you don't have a heavy rifle and don't shoot much from prone, I would look for an ATLAS in the PX. It is your best bet to save $$. I use an Atlas when I shoot my Annie or AR style rifles. Had it for 5 years now and it is still solid.

Don't know what you mean by interchangeable. You need to match the bipod to the rail on your rifle.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Magpul sucks. I'm actually embarrassed I bought one for my 8 yr olds 22 rifle. My budget for HER rifle was $120 and I should of bought a Harris or Fab Defense bipod instead. Mapgul is heavy and feels cheap. Feet are slippery on all surfaces too. I am using Atlas PSR, Atlas CAL (both with Really Right Stuff clamps) and gen 1 Ckyepod for my rifles. If you don't pan the Atlas Cal with RRS clamp is the winner!

Reactions: Maggot
    Magpul sucks heavy ass. It isn't very stable. I would buy a Harris if in that price range

If you don't have a heavy rifle and don't shoot much from prone, I would look for an ATLAS in the PX. It is your best bet to save $$. I use an Atlas when I shoot my Annie or AR style rifles. Had it for 5 years now and it is still solid.

Don't know what you mean by interchangeable. You need to match the bipod to the rail on your rifle.
    I was wondering if the Arca will mount to my Pic rail I reckon not. Havent done a lot of prone but will likely need to adapt to that for upcoming courses. The 73 year old neck, victim of a couple injuries, doesnt like to bend much anymore.

At this point I'm thinking save up and go with the Gunwerks Frank mentioned...or an Atlas,

You failed to mention what your rifle has for a mounting point? Are you needing to add a mounting point?

No, arca and picatinny are not interchangeable. You can buy tripod mounts that will accommodate either but I have not seen a bipod with a combination mount.

I think Atlas with CAL is the baseline for a good general purpose bipod.

The new TBAC's are really nice, but there's definitely diminishing returns in performance for that extra ~$200.

There are combo clamps that do arca and pic. Like this: https://rrssoar.com/scarc/ Or this https://rrssoar.com/btcpro

A Harris S-BRM with some kind of arca clamp is not a bad way to go on a budget. Feel free to ask the top PRS shooters in the country if they work. If Harris is too basic for you, the Atlas offerings get a lot of love from their fanbois. You should look at TBAC and the MDT Gnd-pod too. Both are a good value.

I have not seen a bipod with a combination mount.

Works very well. Just get an Atlas CAL with no clamp (or any other bipod that offers an ARMS-17s hole pattern and screw this on, right?

Cheers

There are combo clamps that do arca and pic. Like this: https://rrssoar.com/scarc/ Or this https://rrssoar.com/btcpro

A Harris S-BRM with some kind of arca clamp is not a bad way to go on a budget. Feel free to ask the top PRS shooters in the country if they work. If Harris is too basic for you, the Atlas offerings get a lot of love from their fanbois. You should look at TBAC and the MDT Gnd-pod too. Both are a good value.

The Harris' can certainly be made to work. But even at their cheap price, they aren't a good value proposition.

You will likely have to put money into a Harris to upgrade it, and even with upgrades it's still a poorly made product that has a higher likelihood of failing.

I have 3 or so Harris bipods, they all reside on airguns now. I personally wouldn't recommend wasting money on one for an actual precision rifle, but this is just my personal opinion.

depends on the rifle and application but harris BR-S and atlas for me. harris is much faster to get down and up. atlas seems more versatile once deployed.

I was wondering if the Arca will mount to my Pic rail I reckon not. Havent done a lot of prone but will likely need to adapt to that for upcoming courses. The 73 year old neck, victim of a couple injuries, doesnt like to bend much anymore.

At this point I'm thinking save up and go with the Gunwerks Frank mentioned...or an Atlas,
    Pic and ARCA are specific.

I don't know the Gunwerks but if Frank says it is good, that is a clear indicator. I shoot mostly prone so I use an EI on my large rifles. They are the ultimate in stability but they are $$$

I used to say 'I don't need anything fancy' in regards to bipods. Then I went through 3 or 4 cheaper ones and hated every single one of them. Not to mention that at least one of them broke in not very much time.

Reluctantly I eventually forked out the money for an Atlas and I love it. Several years on and it's been excellent. Looking back in hindsight, I should have bought that one first.

I have no idea if currently it's the 'best one' on the market, but I do know if you start digging into the bottom of the barrel you will waste both time and money. Just my experience.

Harris has several new models with different mounting options (at least that's the way I understood the flyer)
    I find it tough to get anything but a harris, as they are reasonably lightweight, robust, reasonably priced and they work.
    I've never missed a shot because I was using a Harris bipod.
    Are there advantages to some of the other units?
    Yes.
    Am I willing to pay that premium?
    Nope.

Look for used in the px as said above. Someone else is shuffling to the “next big thing”, and you’ll find a deal if your quick and willing.

I’ve snagged atlas, Harris, and accu-tac from there a decent prices. They all have good and bad points in my opinion. GG&G makes a decent set as well.

Harris has several new models with different mounting options (at least that's the way I understood the flyer)
    I find it tough to get anything but a harris, as they are reasonably lightweight, robust, reasonably priced and they work.
    I've never missed a shot because I was using a Harris bipod.
    Are there advantages to some of the other units?
    Yes.
    Am I willing to pay that premium?
    Nope.
    Didn’t you read the thread. Harris bipods are cheaply made and break all the time. They are a poor value. No serious operating operator would use one. You should spend 4x as much to get a real “bipods”. 🙄

if you don't wanna drill to attach a rail to your gun you could always go with a front rest .

RRS does make a product that can clamp to both Pic and ARCA rails, FYI: https://rrssoar.com/scarc/
    Yes I have one of those but I don't think @Maggot is going to be using different rails requiring both types. If you will have rifles with both rail types, this is a good idea otherwise it is an extra C note for no value

Reactions: Maggot and kthomas
    Didn’t you read the thread. Harris bipods are cheaply made and break all the time. They are a poor value. No serious operating operator would use one. You should spend 4x as much to get a real “bipods”. 🙄
    I've got a number of Harris bipods that I ran before buying the Atlas.

Now I just move the Atlas from rifle to rifle.
    Granted, that's not much of a tactic if I needed more than a single rifle configured for shooting at a time.
    But I'm OK with that plan.

I have a couple UTGs, a couple Harris in different heights, a Magpil an Atlas Cal, a Super Cal and an Accu-Tac FC. Depends on what your using it for but for stability the Super Cal and Accu-Tac are money well spent over the others. They also make Pic/Accra dual adapters as well. I bought one on eBay for like 25 bucks does same thing as RRS one posted above, works great.

if you don't wanna drill to attach a rail to your gun you could always go with a front rest .
    If he doesn’t want to drill or even buy new equipment, the bi-pedal-pod is also an option. Quality of manufacturing and durability may vary. Widely.
    DE517625-25A7-49DA-BECB-F093044F0611.jpeg

Reactions: Ronws
    On a serious note, I had a chance to use an accutac for a match worth of shooting awhile back. Not sure which variety…not the big fat one. Aside from being really heavy, it was really good. A little tall perhaps. But for a heavy gun, maybe ELR type situation, it would be the tits.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
    My favorite is the Atlas Cal

But I did have an Accutac HD50 and that thing was a beast as well. Skip the Magpul

Atlas and Accutac are both great. The atlas is probably more popular and could be sold more easily if you don't like it.
    That said, I like the Accutac better because I can deploy it faster

I picked up my Cal through their site in the blem section. I couldn't find the "blem" and for the cost with the clamp it was still less than the Cal with no clamp.

I really like my tbac I just picked up off the px. It does have a little more flex than the atlas cal but much easier faster to setup.

My atlas xp has actually been very negative. I cannot get it to lock down despite tinkering with the pod loc washer or I have the armstrength of tinkerbell

Deployment in prs is also slower

I know I'll get crucified for Harris, but half the price and it works. (It may break but it does clamp down rifle cant which I need)

Sample size of 1

The rrs clamp is the bees knees though.

Worthwhile info to be found in this two-year-old thread. I don't think RRS sells the standalone ARCA/picatinney clamp upgrade for the Harris anymore. In that thread, I stated that I use both Harris and Atlas depending on the prop. Not so much at all anymore... for this season's matches, I haven't even taken the Harris with me.

I had a chance to play VERY briefly with an Accu-Tac and would consider one for a discount like a big Black Friday sale, but my Atlas BT656-NC with RRS BTC-Pro ARCA/pic clamp does just fine. I'd change only to try something different.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
    I have a few of the magpuls and for the money it’s a good bipod. They have some play but not as bad as some and it completely goes away when loaded. I like that the pan can be locked out, and that they don’t weigh a ton. They aren’t fancy but they work, I’d rate it about the same as Harris. They’re both the least expensive bipods that are worth a shit.

TBAC’s are phenomenal and my personal go to.

Pic and ARCA are specific.

I don't know the Gunwerks but if Frank says it is good, that is a clear indicator. I shoot mostly prone so I use an EI on my large rifles. They are the ultimate in stability but they are $$$
    Hi Nikky - I too have not seen nor handled the Gunwerks bipod.

But I have a general impression that Gunwerks is mostly (or perhaps traditionally in the past) been focused on high end (and fairly expensive) hunting rifles. Looking at their bipod offering, it seems to be hunter oriented being lightweight with carbon fiber legs and triple pull. Not saying I’m right, just the impression I get from looking at the specs.

My atlas xp has actually been very negative. I cannot get it to lock down despite tinkering with the pod loc washer or I have the armstrength of tinkerbell

I know I'll get crucified for Harris, but half the price and it works. (It may break but it does clamp down rifle cant which I need)

Sample size of 1

So, Doc…you pulled the pod loc handle off and put a wrench on the nut that’s underneath and tightened it? And yes, they don’t seem to stay that way for long. Also, BT will install a new washer (or whatever provides the grip under there) but will not just ship one (even with offer to pay). MDT seems to claim that they have total cant lock out but it’s fairly pricey and I’ve never seen one to confirm that the lock it total and not just increased resistance like the Atlas.

Cheers

Reactions: DocRDS
    The Magpul sucks.

If you don’t want to spend a lot get a Harris BRMS.

If you want an Atlas get the CAL.
    This. (Get the CAL if it’s in your budget, definitely worth the difference).

These work with atlas. When I got my clamp I had to have an adapter. They've updated it since then. Got to play with it at their hq. The little butterfly thing in the lever locks it closed unless you push it down. Can be flipped to not lock the lever. It's a pretty good fidget toy. Rrs clamps go with arca and picatinny. Little expensive ($160) but makes the bipod easily movable. My Harris with LaRue adapter is unused these days and I move my Cal between my ar, t1x, and t3x.
    download (1).jpeg

Hi Nikky - I too have not seen nor handled the Gunwerks bipod.

But I have a general impression that Gunwerks is mostly (or perhaps traditionally in the past) been focused on high end (and fairly expensive) hunting rifles. Looking at their bipod offering, it seems to be hunter oriented being lightweight with carbon fiber legs and triple pull. Not saying I’m right, just the impression I get from looking at the specs.
    Yes Gunworks products are generally designed for hunters and as I said, I am only going by what Frank said...he knows more about this than I do

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baron23
    These work with atlas. When I got my clamp I had to have an adapter. They've updated it since then. Got to play with it at their hq. The little butterfly thing in the lever locks it closed unless you push it down. Can be flipped to not lock the lever. It's a pretty good fidget toy. Rrs clamps go with arca and picatinny. Little expensive ($160) but makes the bipod easily movable. My Harris with LaRue adapter is unused these days and I move my Cal between my ar, t1x, and t3x.
    View attachment 8202590

1691803799297.png

;-). Lol

I added more. Also replied before getting to the end. Im here all of the time and I didn't know about the butterfly locking til I was there playing with it. It's good to know that it exists.
    Surely you saw the ;-) and the LOL?

Just having a little fun with you, friend. All good, right?

I run the same clamp on my CAL so I can swap it to a stock w pic rail.

Cheers

Reactions: LeftyJason
    Ummm. Really? Thats certainly a unique arrangement. I can see atlas greater than Ckye pod depending on your use but very few users put Harris above both atlas and Ckye.
    The JTAC boys do and that's good enough for me. I used an Atlas years. Then took the JTAC class and was shown a video of how much my gun moved under recoil due to play in the bipod. Switched to a Harris, learned to shoot it the correct way. My groups got smaller and scores went up on prone stages. The AccuTac is even more rigid and stable but is slightly slower to deploy. The Ckye Pod is super versatile but suffers from the same problem as the Atlas, only worse. They also feel cheap to me.

• Haha
    Surely you saw the ;-) and the LOL?

Just having a little fun with you, friend. All good, right?

I run the same clamp on my CAL so I can swap it to a stock w pic rail.

Cheers
    Figured that already. You're good.

Since I played with it I've been considering getting the new version. Problem is I need to save up for other toys. Want to get the 34 legs and bh55 head. Have a camera that I want to take longer exposures with.

Back to topic I can also attach my bipod to my lens foot. Haven't used it that way yet.
    20230811_200543.jpg

One of my 2 cocker spaniels Daisy helping.

• Love
    Reactions: Baron23

Sample size of 1

Bipods are personal preference. For some of us it's not about what we're willing to spend, it's just about what we like.

I also prefer my upgraded/pimped-out Harris to the Atlas bipods I've tried, specifically due to the cant tension.

I started with a Harris BRMS, then added a Pod Loc, RRS clamp, and Hawk Hill Talons (and JKL Precision Talon-covers which stay on 99% of the time and grip way better than the Harris OEM rubber feet)... all of which takes the Harris into Atlas-money territory. It doesn't do nearly as many tricks or have as good geometry/stance as most of the other fancier bipods, but it just works for what I need it to do 99% of the time. Honestly, I actually like that it's so simple and bonehead, if shit gets too bananas for the Harris for a stage bipod-wise, then I'm probably better off finding a way to shoot off just a bag anyways (or embarrassing myself trying tripod-rear, which I never practice and need to).

With every Atlas I've tried (5-6 different individual ones at this point) the cant tension has been fucked up and was off/on, either loose as a goose or rock solid, almost no in-between... some had more modulation than others, but they all were dogshit compared to how my Harris feels/works.

I don't like the Ckye-Pod, feels too strange/sloppy for me to want to own one (but I appreciate what one can do and might try to borrow one off one of y'all once every 2 seasons for a stage because I need to try something extra lol).

I may buy a TBAC at some point (which is in my view just a beefy upgraded Harris with better materials and geometry), I just haven't had an opportunity to try one yet...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sblzrd65
    The JTAC boys do and that's good enough for me. I used an Atlas years. Then took the JTAC class and was shown a video of how much my gun moved under recoil due to play in the bipod. Switched to a Harris, learned to shoot it the correct way. My groups got smaller and scores went up on prone stages. The AccuTac is even more rigid and stable but is slightly slower to deploy. The Ckye Pod is super versatile but suffers from the same problem as the Atlas, only worse. They also feel cheap to me.
    Please read the whole thread wherein I mentioned the best PRS shooters in the country and was promptly told that Harris bipods are cheaply made and prone to failure and serious operating operators use at least the Atlas, as a bare minimum.

😉

You won’t get any argument from me. Each has its place. And hell, you can buy 4 Harris models plus the adapter plate of your choice for less than a Ckye Pod. As for better, I’ll go shot for shot with you any day. Me on my Ckye pod, you on your Harris. Then we can switch and go again. It’s more about your technique and how much you practice than about the specific equipment (until you are talking about esoteric f-class/benchrest level stuff).

i have an atlas cal that works fine, but i prefer the accu-tac sr-5 g2 (longer) run at 45deg.
    this takes the wiggle out and gives me a nice wide base extended forward.
    started back in the day with harris bipods like most people.

M6Lj1jd.jpg

nvmmntn.jpg