• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk chamber flags.

DeauxJoe

Daisy Picker
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Thibodaux, La
So not exactly a sexy topic but all these matches require this little piece of equipment. I see some guys running around with nice flags held in with bungee cord. Where are these coming from? Any other neat ones out there?

I was wondering this too actually.

I'm in the habit of carrying my bolt with me down range when I check targets... I'm not a fan of being shot, and I certainly don't want to be shot by my own rifle.

But, even with the bolt out, I believe any competition would still require a flag. So, I'm tuning in to find out more.

How about adding function to the rule. This might be a little much! HaHaa.

barrelcool1601.jpg

So I have seen a couple of these running around. Is there a legit added benefit, or you think its more of a gimmick?

So I have seen a couple of these running around. Is there a legit added benefit, or you think its more of a gimmick?

I bought one from whoever it is (edit, chamber chiller) that 3d prints the other version of those fans and I would say that it does indeed bring the barrel temp down faster.

This summer in the texas heat doing some load development where I just sit at the bench with 4 minutes between each shot I noticed that not using it between shots took an appreciable amount of time to get the barrel cool enough to rest my palm on it compared to when I did use the fan. I never put a watch and thermometer to it but 90+ degrees 4 minutes with the fan got it comfortable, 4 minutes without the fan and the barrel was still hot as hell, too hot to rest my palm on it.

So the cooling effect is real. Now some people say that a hot barrel wont matter or shorten barrel life and that this is a gimmick with no actual benefit beyond the psychological. I feel that theres no way that shooting a barrel until its hotter than hades wont negatively effect its life but I cant provide any proof of that.

I think those "chamber chillers" or whatever they are called are a good idea.

However, for the life me I can't figure out why they are not shaped like a horn (fan at the large end tapering down to fit inside the bore).

Currently the fans look small and the airflow has to make a 90 degree turn.

Those chamber chillers may work but they have to be the most the annoying sound while wearing electronic ear pro!

I enjoy and use the Plugr Chamber flags

While we're on the subject, if this applies to you pay attention if not ignore this

PUT THE MOTHERFUCKING STEM INTO THE CHAMBER NOT DOWN THE MAGWELL

I've lost track of how many times I've seen stupid shit like that.

A lot of people have seen or been victim of the stem breaking off into the chamber or melting in the chamber. I am not a fan of stuffing stuff in the chamber for this reason. Thats why you see so many ppl sticking it into the mag well. It still does the job of stopping the bolt from closing. Thats why I prefer the Plugr models.

I’ve got a Barrelcool like what is posted above. I’ll agree that it does seem to help cool the barrel quicker, especially on hot days. That is my absolutely non-scientific opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. The fan is very small and it doesn’t force a ton of air down the barrel, just enough that you can feel it exiting the barrel with your hand. I only really use it during practice or data gathering where I’m shooting long strings. For local matches I use a regular chamber flag.

I'll second the Plugr. Great design. Keep the bolt held closed so my chamber stays free of dirt. The ar version is great as well. They can be customized so they are not easily lost.

Anyone have a link to these nifty plunger/bungy style chamber flags?

Those chamber chillers may work but they have to be the most the annoying sound while wearing electronic ear pro!

The Barrel cooler models cause that noise, the Chamber Chiller model does not.

However, for the life me I can't figure out why they are not shaped like a horn (fan at the large end tapering down to fit inside the bore).

It would melt. They specifically say not to shove it into the bore.

While we're on the subject, if this applies to you pay attention if not ignore this

PUT THE MOTHERFUCKING STEM INTO THE CHAMBER NOT DOWN THE MAGWELL

I've lost track of how many times I've seen stupid shit like that.

Explain to me why this is a stupid idea. When I'm shooting a match and my barrel is blazing hot, the last thing that I want to do is shove a little piece of plastic in there to melt in my chamber. Also, the chamber flag often ends up on the ground while shooting a stage. I have no desire to introduce the Florida sand into my chamber and barrel. You go ahead and have at it with your OCD. Nobody's stopping you.

Also. as said above, the purpose of a chamber flag is to make sure that the bolt doesn't close or look closed, for safety reasons. Are you worried that someone will have a round stuck in the chamber? Will that round (theoretical round in chamber with flag in mag well) suddenly go off on its own while the bolt is being held back by the chamber flag? Interested to hear your reasoning.

NRA Chamber flags, drill hole, use bungee. That came out of norcal years and years ago. We actually cut off about half the stick so the flag doesn't go into the rifling.

in
Explain to me why this is a stupid idea. When I'm shooting a match and my barrel is blazing hot, the last thing that I want to do is shove a little piece of plastic in there to melt in my chamber. Also, the chamber flag often ends up on the ground while shooting a stage. I have no desire to introduce the Florida sand into my chamber and barrel. You go ahead and have at it with your OCD. Nobody's stopping you.

Also. as said above, the purpose of a chamber flag is to make sure that the bolt doesn't close or look closed, for safety reasons. Are you worried that someone will have a round stuck in the chamber? Will that round (theoretical round in chamber with flag in mag well) suddenly go off on its own while the bolt is being held back by the chamber flag? Interested to hear your reasoning.

The purpose of a chamber flag is to make sure there is NO AMMO in the chamber. It took a negligent discharge at a Camp Perry parking lot to make their use mandatory in all NRA matches and to forbid any "flag" that isn't actually inserted into the chamber. But I guess you guys know better.

Rifles used in NRA HP get plenty hot after rapid fire strings and I never had any plastic melt.

So, the ND in the parking lot took place because someone had AMMO in their chamber and a flag down the mag well? Or was it because there was no chamber flag at all and the bolt was closed on the live round?

I also have never had a flag melt in my chamber and while at the bench or other controlled situation, I still do use the flag a s designed. But having had a piece of dirt embed itself into my chamber after being introduced by a flag that hit the dirt during a stage and then damage most of 100 cases run through it thereafter during a match, I'll refrain from shoving things into my chamber during a dynamic field firing situation. If you can convince me that it is somehow inherently more dangerous that way, I'll think about it.