• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lets Talk Target Cameras-Need Help

surprise

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
Looking for a target camera and need some help figuring out which one-I am not looking for a DIY system! Requirements, 1 mile minimum range, cellular/wifi not required, weather tolerant, and reliable. I have been looking at the SME bullseye camera Sniper edition and the Longshot LR-2 and LR-3. There doesn't' seem to be many reviews on these as they are all newer cameras. All of them are a sizable investment and I was hoping that some fellow hide'ers have either used, owned, or experimented with these.

I spoke with a corporate rep about the new version of the SME camera and he spoke highly of all the features and felt the upgrades made it a great improvement over the previous version-Ammocam. Of course he is going to say that, and unfortunately it is so new there just aren't any decent reviews on this yet-the SME camera system.

In an ideal world would like to hear some reviews from a school or product tester that has used these specific camera systems.

SME Bullseye Sniper edition

Longshot Camera LR-3
Longshot Camera LR-2
targetvision-lr2-one-mile-range

Thanks

Reactions: LongshotCameras
I am running a gen1 LR2 and yes...it will do 1 mile. I don't shoot that far as of yet, but I did test it and so long as the camera and the booster have line of sight to each other it will do 1 mile. Battery life will also run a full range day - 12+ hours.

You can take vids or single pictures then use software like Range Buddy to plot your POI for a group MOA.

Reactions: LongshotCameras
I am running a gen1 LR2 and yes...it will do 1 mile. I don't shoot that far as of yet, but I did test it and so long as the camera and the booster have line of sight to each other it will do 1 mile. Battery life will also run a full range day - 12+ hours.

You can take vids or single pictures then use software like Range Buddy to plot your POI for a group MOA.

Will it tell you last shot or show you the order of your shots? Does it do any sort of calculation or tell you what your group size is? How user friendly is the software?

How do you like this camera system? How far out have you used it?
Yes it’s pretty good. Unfortunately it works considerably better with android-based devices versus Apple. I ended up having to buy an android tablet to get the frame rate up. If you call and talk to them they will tell you they’re working on new software to work better with Apple products but it’s still a ways out as of the last time I spoke with them which was several months ago. They have been great to deal with, offered to take the camera back if I bought it tried it and didn’t like it. I decided to keep it. It has some really unique uses for things like 22 shooting and so on. I’ve taken it out over a mile and it worked no problem. For the price, I felt like it was probably the best value for the features. Unfortunately it’s tough to spot splashes at distance. If you’re looking to see your hits on target it’s great, but it’s a little bit challenging to see things off the sides to call your misses.

Reactions: Gar.
One of our shooting locations has a hill. You definitely need a tall tripod For the camera if you’re on any sort of slope or hill. That is obviously not specific to this camera system but food for thought, if you have some crappy old tripod sitting around that’s perfect!

Reactions: Gar.