• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold 6x42 for Long Range play?

TannerGun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Colorado!
I know most guys around here like a little higher magnification for their long range play... but what are some of the thoughts you fellas have on a straight 6x42 for Longer Ranges? Say, shooting steel at 500 and beyond, maybe 1000. I know the target will get a little small... but I sure do like fixed power glass.

Re: Leupold 6x42 for Long Range play?

Sounds more difficult than using a higher power scope but I don't see any reason it won't work....

I'm curios now too....anyone try long range with low power?

Search for the username NOBODY. He's used a Leupold 6x for quite a while, he's not on here anymore but if you sift through the myriad posts you'll find he's quite an advocate.

Sure they can work, especially if you primarily practice at large targets, but they’re certainly less than ideal.
The scope I’d pick for you given your intended use (which correct me if I’m wrong but is something like: All around general hunting, longer range practicing and possibly longer shots at animals as your skills improve, reasonable size, weight and price, simple and extremely durable with VERY reliable and repeatable tracking) is this one right here: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx . It fills that role beautifully. You’ll like it better at close range than a 6X, you’ll like it better at long range than a 6X.

For more serious long range use there are others I’d pick, but they’re all pretty much bigger, heavier, more expensive or give up some utility at closer ranges.

Now if this is not intended to be used for any general hunting, then the 6X makes even less sense. A fixed 10X, 12X or 16X at least would do a much better job.

I use a 2.5-8x on plates out to 800y quite frequently and I have shot to 1000y with it just, not as often. A 6x at 500y shouldn’t been an issue as long as the targets are MOA in size or larger. 1000y could be quite sporting though. FWIW, it used to be said you want 1x for every 100y as a minimum.

Appreciate the input guys. I think I've narrowed it down to a SS 10x42 or a Leo 3.5-10 with an M1 turret.

I would go with the 3.5-10 Leopold. The M1 turrets are really nice too. Plus if you ever switch scopes a 3.5-10 can be used on anything.