• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold and Ziess Question

Bamafan

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Charlotte, NC USA
I have two rifles. My .308 is equipped with a Luepold Mark 4 6.5 - 20x50 LR/T M1. My newly acquired .338LM is equipped with a Ziess Conquest 4.5 - 14x44 scope. The luepold has the TMR reticle and the Ziess has a mil-dot reticle. My question is given the higher power and greater range of adjustment of the Luepold does it make sense to move it to the .338?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Leupold and Ziess Question

I keep in mind how good the view is through the scope, and if the optical quality is relatively equal, I put the higher power scopes onto the rifle that will be shooting the farthest distance. My logic (for whatever that is worth) is that if I am shooting longer distance, I will need more power in the scope in order to determine things like target detail, what the target is doing, what details are around it and so on. The further out I shoot, the more optical power I need in order to view those details.

However, if the scopes are of significantly different quality (extreme would be Bushnell VS Hensoldt), the optical clarity of the Hensoldt at 16X would do me more good than the lesser quality optical clarity of a 20X Bushnell.

An added factor in your two scopes are the reticles. The TMR reticle will give you more detailed information (half mil) that you can use at longer ranges. In order to accurately figure the range using your reticle, you need to be able to accurately measure target size. Inaccurate assessment of whether the target is .4, .5, or .6 mils in size can make the difference between a correct elevation adjustment or an incorrect one. Having the half mil demarcation on the TMR reticle would be a nice addition to assist you in range estimation. Again, I would put the Leupold on the 338LM.

Both are nice scopes. You really won't screw up with either one, the above is just my preference. Other folks will probably like other features on the Zeiss and pick it. There are many reasons why I wouldn't disagree with choosing the Zeiss. It would be foolish of me to say anything negative about the Zeiss scope, therefore, it really can't be the "wrong" choice.

Upon further consideration, the Zeiss scope won't work out at all well for you. You should send it to me, and to console you over your poor choice in optics, I'll send you a nice box of steaks and some beer.

I have a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 338 edge and love it. The 4.5-14 would definitley work well but I think you will find yourself wanting more pwer like the 6.5-20. Personally I think I would swap your scopes.

If your rings will swap, try it out. The Leupold should be a 30mm, where the Zeiss is 1"