• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold AR scope 3x9

Gordon Nettleton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2006
Dallas,Texas
Guys a few weeks ago I purchased a 3x9 Leupy Scope from SWFA. It has a BDC reticle designed for a 55 grain 3100 BDC reticle. Cost $279 and hange. I was very pleased with the outcome. Took it out yesterday to the Tiger Valley Range yesterday and was very happy with the results. Pushed it out to 500 yards with 55 grain remington fmj factory and was making contact from 200 to 500 yards. Never missed once on steel.

Looking for an inexpensive scope on an AR this is a nice scope for the price.

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

DISLAIMER: I am not endorsed or was I paid to say anthing about this scope by Leupold

Re: Leupold AR scope 3x9

I got one too, and the bdc has worked out to 400yds, as far as my range is right now. My only complaint is the poer ring is really hard to turn.

We had one in for testing and they are a surprisingly nice little scope. I wish they would do one based on the .308 in that price range.

when this scope came out i was hoping that it would do well. thanks for testing the waters first. i've been considering one for a cheap coyote/hog rig. looks like for that price it'll be hard to pass up.

The glass in my opinion is standard Leupold quality.(I am not talking about the horror stories) I don't know where it sits with a Super Sniper I haven't checked it against the one I own. I of course wouldn't compare it to USO, S&B or Nightforce which I own.
I agree the turn on the power setting is stiff.

Remember this it works for what it was designed for IMO. The lower power might make a nice 3 gun scope for that price range.

Leupold produces allot of scopes for many types shooters and this fills a niche. I wouldnt over analyze it

Was wondering about this scope myself as a backup/plinker. Thx for the info.

K

Took it out again yesterday with David Whitson and Sigy5150, this scope for the money impresses me everyday more and more

All these subjects are coming up at the right time as I am looking for a scope to throw on my AR Varminter, just read a nice review of the SS Scopes, there are times where I feel like a nice 3X9 will do..there are other times I feel like I want something in the 12-14X range, descisions descisions.

Smallmouth Crazy,

I see that argument a lot, 9x vs 12-14x. From a pure optics perspective, peering through your scope an object @ 500 yds would look like:

@ 9x it would appear to be 55.5 yds away
@ 12 x it would appear to be 41.7 yds away
@ 14 x it would appear to be 35.7 yds away

So the real difference between 9 and 14 power is the visual difference of 20 yds (for a 500 yds target) as seen with the naked eye. So if you put a 1" round target dot @ 35 yds, can you see it with your naked eye? Can you see the same 1" round target dot @ 55 yds with your naked eye?

If the answer is yes, you can see both, then there is a high probability you can hit both with equal precision. It is only when your target is small enough, or far enough away, does the relative zoom power of a scope come into play.

So the question should be, how far am I going to shoot, and how small is my target, and what level of precision is required for my shooting?

Putting into simple terms, if my target is a coyote, and my realistic range is 500 yds., then 9 vs 14 x is academic. Either would work....

Bob

The Leupold Mark AR scopes equal the VX1 series but with the calibration and Mildot Reticule as best as I can tell.

The Mark 2 series would be equal to the VX3 as best as I can tell.

BobinNC said:
Smallmouth Crazy,

I see that argument a lot, 9x vs 12-14x. From a pure optics perspective, peering through your scope an object @ 500 yds would look like:

@ 9x it would appear to be 55.5 yds away
@ 12 x it would appear to be 41.7 yds away
@ 14 x it would appear to be 35.7 yds away

So the real difference between 9 and 14 power is the visual difference of 20 yds (for a 500 yds target) as seen with the naked eye. So if you put a 1" round target dot @ 35 yds, can you see it with your naked eye? Can you see the same 1" round target dot @ 55 yds with your naked eye?

If the answer is yes, you can see both, then there is a high probability you can hit both with equal precision. It is only when your target is small enough, or far enough away, does the relative zoom power of a scope come into play.

So the question should be, how far am I going to shoot, and how small is my target, and what level of precision is required for my shooting?

Putting into simple terms, if my target is a coyote, and my realistic range is 500 yds., then 9 vs 14 x is academic. Either would work....

Thanks alot Bob for the info and the time you took to break it down for me.

If u look on there web site it said the custom shop can chage the scope for u if u are going to hand load. I wonder if they could make it for 308 ballistics. I think I am going to call and ask. Sure oils be great on a 308 for hunting.

I thought the glass on the mark 2 was like the VX2 and the mark 4 was like the glass on the newer VX3. Just getting more features on these models. The AR Mark is probably like the VX1 with the price point.

let me know if I am off on this assumption.

Would this scope work equally well on a Mini14? I just mounted a NIkon Buckmaster 3x9 on mine, but I think I'd like something more like the Lupy with the BDC. Mini is the new gen. (haven't even fired it yet)
Is the BDC barrel length specific?
TIA

Got mine in last week. Haven't mounted it on the rifle yet (waiting on Burris PEPR mount).

At first glance and from fiddling with it a little this afternoon, this is definitely NOT a Mk IV quality riflescope, but I didn't expect it to be at the price point.

Here's what I've noticed so far (I'll know more when I get the mount in and put it on the rifle).

---The power ring is pretty damn stiff.
---The knob caps screw down onto little rubber washers...this leads me to believe that without the scope caps it ain't waterproof (I was planning on not using the cap on the elevation knob).
---Knobs are a little mushy. Not horribly so, but noticeable. They are also quite stiff...especially the windage knob. On the other hand they had good, solid audible clicks that, although slightly mushy, could be felt.
---Windage knob--not tall at all. Definitely not usable with gloves of any kind. Once zeroed I'll probably never touch it again, so it isn't a problem for me. Just noting for other potential purchasers.
---Very generous eye relief. This could be seen as a positive or negative. I personally would have preferred that it be a little less given the platform it is intended for.
---Very clear glass. Comparable to my Mk IV...equivalently so.

Hopefully the power ring and reticle adjustment knobs will loosen some with use.

i think i read that the custom shop will set it up for whatever load you wish. dont know if barrel length comes into it on their end, but they engrave the load data on the cap. i thought about this scope on my AR as well. havent seen a 308 offering yet. i hate to say these names here, but BSA and Barska have had BDC models out for a while. sweet .17,.22,.243 and 30.06 are available from BSA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the order Badd Kharma.

Those that are having problems with the stiff power knobs we will be stocking these in the near future.

http://www.mgmswitchview.com/products.htm

Also for further clairification, the Mark AR scopes are the same as the Mark 2 scopes. Higher quality than the VX1 but not as high as the VX3.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Mark-AR-Riflescopes-C1837.aspx </div></div>

So they're a VX2?

I too have a new 3x9 mildot. So far I think it is great for the price. I had it zeroed perfect in 3 shots. It is light reasonably compact, clear and awesome with leupolds alumina scope caps. I love the way they fold completely flat against the scope. I am glad to hear they are of vx2 quality glass. We will see what I think later as I shoot it more. I mounted it on a 16" Noveske with a Bobro scope mount which I also highly recommend.