• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Bashing??

Kino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2011
United States
Guys I read post here about every day and it seems that there are ALOT of people here that really bash the MK4. Owning many MK4s and dozens of leupold products, I have yet to have a single issue other than a target scope (vari-x III) with bent crosshairs that was caused by some knucklehead cranking on the turrets.
Why all the hate and what ACTUAL problems have you personally had with your luppys in the MK4 or VX3 lines??

Re: Leupold Bashing??

I bought a $1200 leupold and it had a canted reticle, called them and was told. That is normal! F**k that..................

People believe they are overpriced and living off their reputation. The LR/T does not provide the necessary features to warrant a $1200-1500 price tag. No zero stop, FFP, or matching reticle and turrets. The more expensive ER/T and M5 have a better reputation.

Lowlight stated in other threads that during his classes the scope with the most failures per class is Leupold, so durability is an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I read post here about every day and it seems that there are ALOT of people here that really bash the MK4. Owning many MK4s and dozens of leupold products, I have yet to have a single issue other than a target scope (vari-x III) with bent crosshairs that was caused by some knucklehead cranking on the turrets.
Why all the hate and what ACTUAL problems have you personally had with your luppys in the MK4 or VX3 lines?? </div></div>

The litany of why Leupold's get bashed, and why they deserve it is better answered in book form, as the list is so long, but let me just hit the highlights:

1983 - Leupold introduces the Ultra Line of Scope for the US military, the first true "Tactical scope".

1987 - Leupold makes there tactical scope available to civilians w/M1 and M3 turrets

1993 Mk 4 line introduced.

1999 Premier Reticles begins to convert MK 4's to FFP (Leupold did not introduce FFP in the Mk4's until 2009)

2001 Leupold introduces the TMR reticle, the first new tactical reticle (with help from Premier) developed in 18 years of completing owning the tactical market.

2001 Leupold introduces the Euro line of 30 mm hunting scopes with 1 cm click adjustments (Tactical MK 4's did not get this "new invention" until 2010)

2003 M2 turrets introduced to the market.

2005 Premier Reticles thrown under the bus by Leupold.

2009 Leupold introduces the M4 turret w/0.05 Mil adjustments. Leupold introduces FFP a full 10 years after Premier did the same thing to Leupold MK4 scopes.

2010 Leupold introduces the M5 turret w/0.1 Mil adjustments, a full 9 years after introducing metric turrets (same as MIL) in there Euro line of scopes.

2011 Leupold introduces 34mm tubed Mk4's 10 years after S&B did the same thing. Leupold introduces the MK8.

And we still do not have a MK4 that has:

FFP and illumination and greater than 3x ZOOM MK4 Tactial variables, like Bushnell, Nikon, Falcon, Vortex, S&B, IOR, Hensoldt, Burris (Steiner), USO, Premier, march, SWFA SS, et al all provide.

And Leupold is the largest scope manufacturer in the US.

Leupold has told me that they do not want my business, so I spend my money elsewhere.

As to the problems I actually had with Leupold:

- Canted Reticles (2)

- Sent a scope in for conversion from M3 to M2, after speaking with Leupold's own tech support that it could be done, but they were incorrect, I was out shipping one way.

- E-Mail quote to convert M3 to M2, $130. or $65. per turret. It took 3 more e-mails to convince them that my M3 ALREADY had 1/2 MOA windage knobs.

I also had no problems with my hunting Leupolds, other than overly stiff VariX-II zoom knobs, and I sent a couple back for correction.

I sure I can think of more, but that's about it off-hand. Of course alot of you have not been around and shooting Leupold stuff since 1975 as I have. But those that have will understand our "displeasure" at Rip Van Leupold business sense, lack of innovation, and support of tactical/LR shooters.

Bob

What actual problems have I seen?

You mean other than 1/4 MOA scopes that adjust in IPHY and reticles canted more than three degrees?

Well, one local department had a scope that would not adjust for elevation beyond 12 MOA. That scope was broken.

Of twenty scopes evaluated, thirteen failed to subtend correctly against the hard stop. That’s a 70%+ failure rate. Of those, four could be dialed down to correct the subtension and the rest would not range correctly without deriving a unique multiplier for each scope.

Is that 'close enough for government work'? I guess it depends on the standards deemed necessary, doesn't it?

Oh, and erector springs that take a 'set'....

Give me an old 'pre-Mk IV' Mk IV any day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lowlight stated in other threads that during his classes the scope with the most failures per class is Leupold, so durability is an issue.

</div></div>

there were probably more leupolds in any given class then any other scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

- E-Mail quote to convert M3 to M2, $130. or $65. per turret. It took 3 more e-mails to convince them that my M3 ALREADY had 1/2 MOA windage knobs.

</div></div>

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but that one made me laugh.

Got 2 Mark4's, one has a canted reticle and the other had a loose objective lens. The battery life of the illuminated reticle sucks ass too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People believe they are overpriced and living off their reputation. The LR/T does not provide the necessary features to warrant a $1200-1500 price tag. No zero stop, FFP, or matching reticle and turrets. The more expensive ER/T and M5 have a better reputation.

</div></div>

Your post is EXACTLY what gets to me...... I TOTALLY agree that they lack features of some of the competition and I feel that they could and should offer more features, but like I said, what PROBLEMS have YOU (not Frank) had????? If people feel they can buy a better scope with more features for less money with better CS and company stability, buy it!
I guess I am lucky and have not seen ANY Luppy with a canted recticle, but as with any manufacture, I am sure they do have problems, I am just wanting to see whom here has had problems themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I TOTALLY agree that they lack features of some of the competition and I feel that they could and should offer more features, but like I said, what PROBLEMS have YOU (not Frank) had????? ... I guess I am lucky and have not seen ANY Luppy with a canted recticle, but as with any manufacture, I am sure they do have problems...</div></div>Features don't make a scope.

How many of them have <span style="font-style: italic">you </span>seen? Because our issue is that they have problems <span style="font-style: italic">unlike </span>other manufacturers in their price range, and the <span style="font-style: italic">why </span>is the issue.

Um, I just had an older 3-9 vari x II go tits up on me. It's on a 30-06 bolt gun that I never shoot. Fired it once and the image went to hell. Something inside it came loose because now when I shake the scope I can hear rattling in there. At least they still have a good warranty.

The funny part is that I put that scope on the rifle because I was worried the ancient denver redfield 4x it had would die on me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but that one made me laugh. </div></div>

Reminds me of when I sent my 4.5-14 MK4 back for a canted reticule. They told me it was normal, I said no, they un-canted it but when I received it anything past 10-11 power was white and blurry (as if a flashlight was pointed at the front of the scope lots of glare). So I sent it back and now it's more or less clear at max power but the reticule is canted again
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least they still have a good warranty.</div></div>It's not a warranty so much as it's <span style="font-style: italic">you </span>that has become the quality control. Sure, they'll send you another one, probably, but on the same terms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am lucky and have not seen ANY Luppy with a canted recticle</div></div>

Luppy's don't have canted reticules; Leupies do...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I TOTALLY agree that they lack features of some of the competition and I feel that they could and should offer more features, but like I said, what PROBLEMS have YOU (not Frank) had????? ... I guess I am lucky and have not seen ANY Luppy with a canted recticle, but as with any manufacture, I am sure they do have problems...</div></div>Features don't make a scope.

How many of them have <span style="font-style: italic">you </span>seen? Because our issue is that they have problems <span style="font-style: italic">unlike </span>other manufacturers in their price range, and the <span style="font-style: italic">why </span>is the issue. </div></div>

Actually, I have seen ALOT and OWN ALOT of leupolds. Before you ask what my def. of alot is, just take my word for it, ALOT!, and as for other mid range scopes not having problems, well you sir are badly mistaken.

Kino, did you read BoninNC's post? That about sums it up.

I think it is hilarious that a company like that can have it's head in the sand so long. Think about some of those time gaps.

I don't doubt their ability to make a fine scope, they just wont!

I spend a fair chunk of change on optics each year, but Leupold isn't getting a penny.

I've often wondered about the bashing myself. I've owned several over the years and still have 2 vx3s a vx2 and a m8-4x all on hunting rifles. Mine were made in the late 80s or early 90s. Compared the glass to a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 that I have and the Nikon is clearer, brighter, and sharper - I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. My weaver v16 4-16x42 also has better glass than my Leupolds.

While I respect the opinions of people like BobinNC and Graham very much, I have to say that my experience with Leupold has been a very good one. I have the 8.5-25X50,the 6.5-20X50, and the 4.5-14X50 Mk4's, all three of them are crystal clear, never had a tracking issue, or any other problem that I can identify with my senses. I may be one of the lucky few, but I use them quite a bit, they are by no means safe queen's, and have a few dings and scratches, and they've all been cranked up and down to hell and back.
However, I dont know if I will ever buy another, when there are so many other options.

If you are LE/Mil and get the 50% off or whatever it is, the Leupold <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be a decent deal.

If you are a civilian, Leupolds are a fucking complete ripoff pricewise. There are much better scopes out there for the price Leopold charges.

1. Shitty glass clarity.
2. Eye relief changes with magnification sumpin fierce.
3. Illum reticle switch won't stay OFF necessitating multiple spare batteries in the pack.
4. Open center on the TMR reticle SUCKS!
5. Did I mention shitty glass clarity. No? Shit glass clarity!

I guess i've been lucky. My 4.5-14x40 was a solid scope, and my 10x M3 made in the mid-90's is absolutely fantastic. After a nuke/meteor shower/end of civilization deal, that scope along with Abe Vigoda will be the only things still functioning.
grin.gif

Want non-matching turrets/reticle with same to slightly better glass, turrets that move in MOA all the time and no worry of improper reticle alignment at 1/2 the price of Leupold... enter the used market of Nikon Tactical's or now "X"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sent a scope in for conversion from M3 to M2, after speaking with Leupold's own tech support that it could be done, but they were incorrect, I was out shipping one way.

- E-Mail quote to convert M3 to M2, $130. or $65. per turret. It took 3 more e-mails to convince them that my M3 ALREADY had 1/2 MOA windage knobs. </div></div>

I too attempted to have my M3 changed to a M2 turret on the elevation but was told mine was too old of a model. On a different scope it took them a year, two phone calls and five emails (all but one email went unanswered) to send me the right M2 dial, to their credit they took pity on me and sent me the right one free of charge. I had finely given up and two months later I found an envelope in the mail box with a surprise in it.
shocked.gif

I own a MK 4 6.5-20 M5 TMR with .1 Mil turrets. I have no issues with the scope, however, I do find it funny that in the very nice glossy tactical catalog I came across for Leupold, my scope is advertised as having 100 MOA of elevation... WTH, why do I care how much MOA I have??? So I have to do math to find out how much elevation my scope has? it's a mil/mil scope! give me the stats in the same format as the turrets, just shows you the attention to detail they have.

My pd has 2 MKIV's in service. One has been fine. The other has been back to leupold three times for repair .

I think like most forums the more sensational something is the more attention people get. I have not had any issues with leupold at all. In fact I've had nothing but outstanding experiences with the company both with issued gear and also with personal bought optics. That being said I didn't start spending my own money with leupold till recently. It's my understanding that the company has really made in effort in the last few years to turn the corner and start rectifying some of the issues that had plagued the company. The tactical division at leupold has always treated me right. But this is just my opinion and it isn't sensationally written in all caps and punctuated with emoticons so I'm sure it will get glossed over. I'm not discrediting any of the previous posts I'm just sharing my experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kino, did you read BoninNC's post? That about sums it up.

I think it is hilarious that a company like that can have it's head in the sand so long. Think about some of those time gaps.

I spend a fair chunk of change on optics each year, but Leupold isn't getting a penny.

</div></div>

That about sums it up? It was a crass response. Moaning about how long it took to introduce developments. Really? Would you rather they never introduced them?

What difference does it make to the scope in your hands? The feature is either there or not. If it isn't, and you want it, buy something else. Oh but look they are there now but we still want to bitch about it not being available for 10 years.

Is there a shortage of scope manufacturers or something?

Really, you need to get out more often...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I have seen ALOT and OWN ALOT of leupolds. Before you ask what my def. of alot is, just take my word for it, ALOT!</div></div>Ownership isn't the issue. If you buy a hunting scope, and it zeros properly and it holds that zero, as most Leupolds do, then it's fine for that purpose. Don't turn the knobs and it probably won't break.

i have a 1200 yd range finder that will range a bright shiny truck at 600 yds some times.

i had leupold with a bigger obj on 4 x gather less light than a simmons with a smaller obj on 6x. i sent it back to leupold and got the scope back with a letter that said "this scope meets our standards" if leupolds standards are lower than simmons why would i pay the there high end scope price tag?

leupold just rests on there larels because if you go to a back woods gun shop the uninformed people still swear if you want a the best get a leupold, thats how i got tricked i bought leupold being told how great they are before the internet and it was easy to research such claims.

sounds just like Kimber except Kimbers reputation is largely self-created buying 3-5 full page ads in every handgun rag pretty much guarantees those magazines will not print a bad review on them..... 1911forum has them at 48% malfunction rate out of the box and people still swear by them 5 minutes after i watch them clear a jam at the range.... embaressing that some shooters are that dumb. seriously high glossy finish, high quality design/high tolerances crap quality control and mim firing controls leads to an unfinished POS. you pay for a stigma.

i too have had a canted reticle... but i bought it used and it was probably for sale just for that reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yocan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds just like Kimber except Kimbers reputation is largely self-created buying 3-5 full page ads in every handgun rag pretty much guarantees those magazines will not print a bad review on them..... 1911forum has them at 48% malfunction rate out of the box and people still swear by them 5 minutes after i watch them clear a jam at the range.... embaressing that some shooters are that dumb. seriously high glossy finish, high quality design/high tolerances crap quality control and mim firing controls leads to an unfinished POS. you pay for a stigma.

i too have had a canted reticle... but i bought it used and it was probably for sale just for that reason. </div></div>

Its funny you mention Kimber because there is a thread in the handgun section here regarding their poor performance and I almost posted that Kimber is the Leupold of 1911's, or maybe Leupold is the Kimber or tactical/hunting optics. You decide......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's one answer to your question </div></div>

I read the story. I'm somehow not believing he got the scope back in three days when he shipped it overnight. That's two days to diagnose and fix the problem. One day to ship back means they put his scope right in front of everybody else's, and did it all in one day, (no parts had to be ordered...nothing)???

Does anybody else here have a 'doubt' flag? I've never seen Leupold or even other top scope companies do that ... ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

if you go to a back woods gun shop the uninformed people still swear if you want a the best get a leupold, thats how i got tricked i bought leupold being told how great they are before the internet and it was easy to research such claims. </div></div>

Ain't that the truth. The fudds love their LEAPOLS!

I just think they are overpriced for what you get. The optics market is alive and well with more options now than ever. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I read the story. I'm somehow not believing he got the scope back in three days when he shipped it overnight.
</div></div>

If he's local to them and all they had to do was take it out of the box, refill the halogen fluid and send it back to him then I'd believe it.

The ones I've sent back have been from 2 weeks to a little over a month which is perfectly acceptable to me.

A 2 year old VXIII with less than 2,000 rounds on it mounted on an AR platform (in .223) returned for a burned out Ill. reticle.

A 3 year old MK4 with less than a 1,000 rounds on it mounted on a Sav. 10FP (in .308) returned to have the entire windage turret/mechanism replaced due to "tracking issues".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Shitty glass clarity.
<span style="font-weight: bold">2. Eye relief changes with magnification sumpin fierce. </span>
3. Illum reticle switch won't stay OFF necessitating multiple spare batteries in the pack.

</div></div>

Every scope I own does this. That includes several NF NXSs and a Bender PMII. Nature of the beast, can't hold that against Leupold.

I'm no Leupold nutswinger, but...

I bought a used VX-III LR 4.5-14x50 with the fine duplex reticle for $500 to my door. It has been fantastic for years, and has seen lots of use, and been in the field a lot. The reticle is straight, it holds a zero, it tracks well. Glass is good. Not amazing, not fair...its good.

For $500? Great buy, in my opinion. A new one for $1200(ish)?? No way. I'm spending a few hundred bux more and getting an NF.

I used to have a BSA 36X scope on a precision rifle I used in competition. When I could afford the 35X Leupold Competition series, I bought one NIB. I mounted it up, sighted it in, and my groups grew by .1-.2". I switched back and forth between the scopes on the same rifle a few times and it was no fluke. The $100 used Ebay BSA held better groups than the $950 NIB Leupold.

That and them throwing not only Premier Reticles under the bus, but in doing so, the fucked every person who owned a PR converted scope under the bus. PR could not get parts to fix them and Leupold would only convert back to "stock" configuration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's one answer to your question </div></div>

I read the story. I'm somehow not believing he got the scope back in three days when he shipped it overnight. That's two days to diagnose and fix the problem. One day to ship back means they put his scope right in front of everybody else's, and did it all in one day, (no parts had to be ordered...nothing)???

Does anybody else here have a 'doubt' flag? I've never seen Leupold or even other top scope companies do that ... ever. </div></div>

I don't doubt it. I once sent a 2x handgun scope to them on a Monday and had a replacement back on Friday (they diagnosed that it couldn't be repaired). I had explained that I was leaving for a hunt and they clearly jumped me to the front of the line.

I've only had one. It was a Mark IV LR/T 10x40 w/ M3 knobs. It was super nice. I can only speak from the scopes I've owned.

I've had two Leupolds, a 3.5-10x40mm Mk 4 and a 2-7x Vari XII.

The vari XIII spent its life on my Winchester 70 7mm Rem Mag hunting rifle for almost 10 years. About 5 years ago it ended up breaking, the elevation erector took a dump and was no longer tracking. I never sent the scope off to Leupold just replaced it with a 10x Super Sniper.

The Mk 4 with M1 turrets was nice for what it was, it held up to the recoil of my .300 WM load and thousands of .308 Win. It always tracked correctly and held zero. Once I started learing more about what else was available I moved on to a NF and eventually a US Optic's SN-3 and never looked back. I wish I would of hung on to the Mk 4 I think it would be perfect for my Savage Mk II .22.

I'm glad they created the new Tactical Division and look forward to seeing how things develop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kino, did you read BoninNC's post? That about sums it up.

</div></div>

That about sums it up? It was a crass response. Moaning about how long it took to introduce developments. Really? Would you rather they never introduced them?

What difference does it make to the scope in your hands? The feature is either there or not. If it isn't, and you want it, buy something else. Oh but look they are there now but we still want to bitch about it not being available for 10 years.

Is there a shortage of scope manufacturers or something?

Really, you need to get out more often... </div></div>

I thought it was well layed out and covered the bases better than I could.
They refused for years to update their tactical line. This was despite lots of urging from the tactical crowd. Their features suck, and I demonstrate my displeasure by spending elswhere. That is what my gripe is about. Do they make the features now? Hell No!

There are plenty of other manufacturers, again, that is what this is all about. I got all the S&B's I need (maybe I need one more), and I get out plenty.

I started using Leupolds when I first started out as a sniper in early 1980s and used them for many years. I started switching around to otehr scopes about 13 years ago, but always kept Leupolds to compare to.

I have seen many hundreds of all brand scopes on the lines and have seen every single brand break. I have seen every single brand have some issue or another from the factory.

I went back to mostly Leupold this year. Running several different MK4s ( 1.5-5,3.5-10, 6.5-20 FFP, 8.5-25s) and the Competition Series Scope.

I am very happy with the new Leupolds and had zero failures with any Leupold Products this year.

Glass has gotten better over the years.

Reticle Choices are many
Knob Configuarations are many
Scopes work great

Price is less than most of the similar imports

I see no reason to change primary scopes.

Very happy shooting Leupolds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Shitty glass clarity.
<span style="font-weight: bold">2. Eye relief changes with magnification sumpin fierce. </span>

</div></div>

Every scope I own does this. That includes several NF NXSs and a Bender PMII. Nature of the beast, can't hold that against Leupold.

I'm no Leupold nutswinger, but...

I bought a used VX-III LR 4.5-14x50 with the fine duplex reticle for $500 to my door. It has been fantastic for years, and has seen lots of use, and been in the field a lot. The reticle is straight, it holds a zero, it tracks well. Glass is good. Not amazing, not fair...its good.

For $500? Great buy, in my opinion. A new one for $1200(ish)?? No way. I'm spending a few hundred bux more and getting an NF. </div></div>

I agree that all scopes do this. However, my MK4 was the worst I've owned. I now have two PMII 5-25's and the shift is very minimal.