• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42mm Binocular or other ~$500 binoculars?

broncoaz

Gary Coleman told me to F off
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I was reading the Bushnell Forge thread and figured this didn’t really fit there. I’m looking for a new set of binoculars in the 10x42 range for around $500. I have been using a Gen 1 set of the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 since about 2013. I went to Sportsman’s Warehouse and Bass Pro in Phoenix yesterday and today to get my eyes behind some. Viewing was inside the stores, so SW is under fluorescent lights, BP has incandescent lights and a decent window to a mountain 2 miles away. Here is what I looked at and a brief opinion. I was using the Vortex Viper as my benchmark, but then switched to the Vortex Razor as a benchmark (since the viper wasn’t impressive), looking for what to my eyes looks closest at a friendlier budget. I looked through some of these at both stores, so different lighting conditions. All are around $500 unless noted.

Diamondback HD 10x42 (new this month) - still a solid performer in the $230 price bracket. I may end up with a set of these in 8x32 to keep in the truck, I really liked that size.
Vortex Viper - not that much better than the new Diamondback HD, between those two I wouldn’t spend double on the Viper. COO China
Vortex Razor - I really like these, very sharp and clear, comfortable eye cups. $1000
Zeiss TERRA ED - sharper than the viper, not as sharp as the razor, glass had a slight green tint to it.
Sig ZULU 7 - similar sharpness to the Zeiss but with a slightly blue tint to it.
Nikon Monarch 7 - similar to the viper, nothing really stood out to my eyes.
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD - much better than the viper, closest I found to the razor in this group. Great clarity and sharpness. The eye cups are kind of blocky but ok. Marked Japan
Cabela’s CX Pro - very similar to the Leupold, but the focus adjustment is too close and hits my forehead slightly. Eye caps seem like they should come out farther, they seem bulky.
Cabela’s Instinct Euro HD - very similar to the Razor, bulkier overall and the eye cups weren’t quite as comfortable. Marked Czech so I assume they are rebranded Meopta. $1000

I narrowed my favorite $500 pair down to the Leupold. Looking at a instruction sheet in the shadow on the wall across SW, the Leupold was closest in sharpness to the Razor, really close. Clarity to the edge looked close to my eyes, but the light wasn’t great at SW. Repeating that comparison at BP today, I could see details on the mountain at 2 miles better with the Leupold than the Razor. One thing I wasn’t thrilled about was the glare from a window behind me. The Leupold showed two small green circles of glare, the Razor showed one light tan circle.

I want to check out the Meopta, but I don’t think any local retailers have them. The other brand I wouldn’t mind checking out is Steiner, I like the design of their fuller eyecups. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Last edited:
There was a used pair of maven B2s on another forum recently for 875$

To my eyes they are the best binos cheaper than swaro slc’s, you can demo them from maven for 960$ and send them back in 2 weeks if you don’t like them minus shipping (15$).

Though I really think bx4s are a great bino for the price if you want to stick to that budget hard.

Doug, thanks for the input. I like CZ weapons, so I’m guessing I’d be happy with Czech glass. How do the Meopro compare to the Leupold I’ve been looking at? The Cabela’s branded Meopta for $1000 were really nice and basically identical to the Razors for image quality to me. I assume those are rebranded Meostars or very close.

I’m hesitant to buy something like Maven, Athalon, Tract, etc because the companies have only been around for 5 years, so who knows if they will survive to warranty products.

As for the budget, I just purchased a new Razor Gen 2 and a new 6.5 rifle, so I should probably at least consider sticking to a budget on binos. If I were to buy once cry once I wouldn’t be spending over $1K regardless. I found the Vortex Razor on sale for $850 new, but the others are about half that. I still need to check pricing with Doug or Scott before purchasing elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think the Meopta Meopro are an excellent optic and priced below their quality. Please give me a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it. IMO, the Meopro is superior to the BX-4

Reactions: Wyzrd
Cabela’s instinct are very good and better than the Razors. Agreed that vipers are not much better than diamondbacks

Leupy binos and spotters are quite a good, better than Vortex but Vortex gets all the love. I pulled out Leupy to show a different option, some took me up on it, others said no, Vortex is top shelf. Those that did, a high % heated up the plastic for Leupy but not all. The majority that didn't. wanted the Vortex warranty for the only reason, the warranty, even though they thought the Leuply was better glass performance to their eyes. Its all subjective to perceived value for the customer.

Its been 10 years or more but had good luck Minox, I think the BL HD are in that range.

Never brought in Meopta.

SW & BPS will let you take optics outside.

good luck

Last edited:
It's well under your price point, and I have very little to no experience with high end binoculars, but I really like my 10x50 Cabela's intensity HD's. I use them tripod mounted to spot at matches and when I practice with friends. Glass seems clear, and all adjustments are smooth. When I compared them to some others they seemed pretty good especially for the price.

I went with the BX-4's and love them. Very close performance wise to my buddies Swaro SLC's when compared side by side, and at a fraction of the cost!

Reactions: Dxn