• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold CDS-ZL Turret--Remove Limiter?

Flubb

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2012
OR
I'm looking at Leupold VX3 HD for an extremely lightweight scope but their turrets are all blocked at 1 revolution it seems, which is ridiculous.

Anybody know how easy it is to remove the limiter on a CDS-ZL turret? I took the ball detent off a VX-Freedom and that freed it up past 1 revolution so I'm hoping that's possible with the CDS-ZL too.

Or alternatively, anybody have a suggestion for an extremely light ~2-8x scope with exposed turrets under $700?

If I remember right it has a pin that sets the zero stop and limits movement. You may be able to trim some off and keep the zero stop but get it to skip over the top of the track.

I agree they would sell a ton more of those if they had either double the amount of travel in that 1 rotation or 2 rotations. Sadly they're still selling to fudds that just "hold at the back for 700 yard shots".

They don't want you buying a cheap scope anyways. Have to step up to the vx5 for the zl2 turrets.

Reactions: Modoc
The ZL turret runs in a cam track type arrangement.
You could disable the limitation but you'd inevitably end up loosing the zerostop.

Maybe if you were extremely creative you'd get it to work but it'd take either some dremel work or designing a new ZL button.

Thanks guys. I can live without the zero lock but I'll fart around in there and see what can be done. I saw a video of a guy who just clamped the turret cap screws at a higher location on the turret, so the cap just sat higher than the zero lock could engage and he had full travel in both directions, so that's a last resort.

Thanks guys. I can live without the zero lock but I'll fart around in there and see what can be done. I saw a video of a guy who just clamped the turret cap screws at a higher location on the turret, so the cap just sat higher than the zero lock could engage and he had full travel in both directions, so that's a last resort.
If you loose the zero lock, you also loose the zero stop.

I think you'd just be able to remove the little ZL button to get full range.