• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Leupold Delta Point or Trijicon RMR?

shields shtr

American.
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Bought my first optics ready pistol, and am trying to decide on a red-dot for it. Anyone have any experience with the above two? These are the two I have narrowed down and they seem to be the go-to for those that utilize them quite a bit. Pistol use is my every day carry that I conceal under sweatshirts, jackets, etc.

Assuming a normal size pistol and not something specialized.
The original deltapoint was a good optic for a pistol and could co witness suppressor height sights. The deltapoint pro is much thicker and not worth looking at for most applications.

What is your pistol and bugget?

There may be options other than RMR depending upon your answer.

I already bought the pistol, it is a FN 509 MRD. Trying to stick with an American company, it looks like the RMR and Delta Point are at least assembled here...

Personally speaking, I like the RMR more but the Delta Pro is solid too. It’s a toss up, functionally they both performed well for me. In my splits and training for comps I had no time difference. If I had to make a decision I would go by which one had the best price.

Reactions: shields shtr
I put Trijicon RMRs on each of my daughters' competition pistols. They are nice...I should get one for myself. No experience with the Delta.

I already bought the pistol, it is a FN 509 MRD. Trying to stick with an American company, it looks like the RMR and Delta Point are at least assembled here...
That is one of the very few pistols that can co witness a deltapoint pro. Me personally I would go with the deltapoint pro in your case, it has a bigger and less obstructed view than the RMR and I like the feature that turns it on with motion sensor that saves battery life.

If you plan on making your living kicking in doors, the RMR is more rugged, but I own many deltapoint and deltapoint pros and all have been reliable within reasonable abuse.

Reactions: shields shtr
The Delta Point Pro is a very nice pistol optic with a wide clear eye box and excellent glass.
The optics quality is significantly above the Holosun stuff. If you look at them side by side, you'll notice optical shifts in the holosun that you won't see with the DPP

Also the DPP has a rather nice optional rear sight attachment to let you co-witness a tall front sight with ease.

It is a bit bigger than the RMR but I find I am faster to pick up the dot on the DPP over the RMR.

Bought the DPP to upgrade from my Vortex Viper red dot. Returned the DPP because it would no longer cowitness with my suppressor height sights and it's red dot had more starburst.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-162643_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-162643_Photos.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 87
Holosun makes some fine budget optics, but I stopped putting then on anything other than range toys when 2 of the 3 I had broke in the first 18 months I had them. I think Vortex is a better mix of price and quality these days.
I think you're mixing up Holosun with another company... Because Holosun is one of the top-tier holographic sight companies in the world.

I think either one would be a good choice. I like the small profile of the Sig Romeo Zero as well.
DSCN0157a copy.jpg
DSCN0166a copy.jpg
IMG_8634Walther PDP Sig P320 M&P9 2.0 PC with Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA and Holsters 03....jpg
IMG_8638Walther PDP Sig P320 M&P9 2.0 PC with Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA and Holsters 03....jpg
Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster Grip Tape 11.27.20I...jpg

Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster 11.26.20IMG_7007 copy.jpg

Attachments

• Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster 11.26.20IMG_7003 copy.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster 11.26.20IMG_7003 copy.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster 11.26.20IMG_7004 copy.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster 11.26.20IMG_7004 copy.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 170
Holosun makes some fine budget optics, but I stopped putting then on anything other than range toys when 2 of the 3 I had broke in the first 18 months I had them. I think Vortex is a better mix of price and quality these days.
I had a Holosun 507c that didn’t last one range visit. My Trijicon RMR type 2 is still going strong. You get what you pay for.

I think you're mixing up Holosun with another company... Because Holosun is one of the top-tier holographic sight companies in the world.
One of the top 30 for sure! I'm not saying they are junk, but I am hardly the only one who has found their reliability to be suboptimal.

Bet a match on one, sure. Bet my life on one, nope.

Mine sat on top of a STI DVC Omni 45 and it didn’t last one trip to the range. Replaced under warranty then promptly sold. My Trijicon RMR sits on an AR15 and has survived thousands of rounds. No comparison in my eyes.

Mine sat on top of a STI DVC Omni 45 and it didn’t last one trip to the range. Replaced under warranty then promptly sold. My Trijicon RMR sits on an AR15 and has survived thousands of rounds. No comparison in my eyes.
My Holosun HS507C-X2 sits on top of my Saint Victory 7.5" pistol, and it's been great. Not a single issue. Even holds true at 100 yards.

My Holosun HS507C-X2 sits on top of my Saint Victory 7.5" pistol, and it's been great. Not a single issue. Even holds true at 100 yards.
That’s great and I know lots of people seem to like them. But once you have been burned like that, it’s hard to put any faith into it especially when you know there are other, ie better, options out there.

To be fair,
Riding a pistol slide is a lot more violent than sitting on top of a nice steady AR receiver.

On an AR, you can go a bit cheaper.

Riding the slide of a pistol, you are going to want rugged.

I’ve had both, RMR all the way. I love the size of the glass on the DPP and lack of tint, but the button absofuckinglutely sucks ass. I don’t have big sausage fingers and it’s hard for me to operate. Then you have to sweep all the way back one way of the other to change brightness. It’s horrible.

RMR doesn’t have quite as large of a window, but it’s big enough, and it has a little tint, but doesn’t seem to effect anything. The controls are the best in the industry, and it’s the toughest and most reliable in the industry, bar none.

LOL at those recommending Holosun. OP obviously isn’t a commie, go be poor somewhere else.

To be fair,
Riding a pistol slide is a lot more violent than sitting on top of a nice steady AR receiver.

On an AR, you can go a bit cheaper.

Riding the slide of a pistol, you are going to want rugged.
Well the Holosun wasn’t rugged enough for a box of ammo. But to your point, I have to agree which is even more of a reason to get an RMR.

I would recommend the RMR, I used to shoot CO in USPSA and I never had an issue with the rmr. The window is smaller than the DPP but it really shouldn’t make a difference as long as you use good fundamentals for recoil control. I have not used a DPP extensively but I have multiple buddies that have had to send their DPPs in for repair. If you like the large window of the DDP I suggest getting a SRO.

Bought my first optics ready pistol, and am trying to decide on a red-dot for it. Anyone have any experience with the above two?

I have had both, for a gun that even might get carried: RMR all the way. I run/own a couple SRO's too, but I wouldn't put them on a carry gun.

That said, I think the Holosun stuff is worth a look and solid, I've ran the crap out one of their 510C's and one of their T2 clones replaced an MRO on top of my MPX PCC shredding-machine and it is a great piece of kit.

Regardless of brand I think the Holosun/Primary Arms sight that is coming out with the ACSS Vulcan reticle is probably going to be a game changer: it's going to make learning/transitioning to a pistol dot a piece of cake compared to how it has been in the past... can't lump Holosun in with the pile of Chinese junk, that Vulcan reticle is state of the art.

Reactions: FuhQ
That’s great and I know lots of people seem to like them. But once you have been burned like that, it’s hard to put any faith into it especially when you know there are other, ie better, options out there.
Same reason I don't recommend anyone ever buy another Weatherby... Except that was a $2000 mistake that Weatherby refused to fix because it was a manufacturing defect...So they should have. 😠

I would recommend the RMR, I used to shoot CO in USPSA and I never had an issue with the rmr. The window is smaller than the DPP but it really shouldn’t make a difference as long as you use good fundamentals for recoil control. I have not used a DPP extensively but I have multiple buddies that have had to send their DPPs in for repair. If you like the large window of the DDP I suggest getting a SRO.

Winner winner chicken dinner

I started competing in USPSA carry optics with a CZ P-10F OR and an RMR. About 10K rounds later, I moved it to my carry gun and bought an SRO for competition use.

The SRO's huge lens makes keeping the dot visible easier during some of the oddball contortions we sometimes have to make in competition, but like he said same is not impossible with an RMR.

The RMR is rugged as hell and none of the so-called advantages of any Holosun product are enough to overcome both the incredible track record that the RMR (especially the Type 2) has and the fact that the RMR is designed, engineered, and manufactured in the US.

I also have a Holosun 507C X2. I bought it mainly as a cheap backup (since it shares the Trijicon footprint) in case either one of my Trijicons might ever need repair. I have given it a fair shake in practice and a few matches and I'm not switching away from Trijicon any time soon. Why?
  1. The tiny ass buttons on it are a pain in the ass compared to the huge, ergonomic controls on Trijicon reflex sights
  2. The window ain't hardly bigger than the RMR's and lacks the protruding corners on the frame that take the force of an impact and direct it away from the glass
  3. The reticles choices are mostly horrible. You can pick between a 2 MOA dot, a 32 MOA segmented circle, or the dot inside the circle.
    1. A 2 MOA dot is stupid for a handgun. It's fine during overcast days, but bright days make it way too small for me even turned up to its brightest
    2. Both reticles together are way too fucking busy and draw your eye to it and away from the target: the complete opposite of how you use your eyes with a reflex sight.
    3. The 32 MOA circle alone is the best choice out of three bad ones. It suffers a bit if you have to make a precise, long distance (25 - 40 yds) shot as you sometimes need to do in USPSA, but for pure defensive use it works just fine.
  4. Yes you can change the battery without removing the sight from the gun. BFD. Here's why.....when you put the RMR back on the gun after a battery change, it will be pretty dang close zero wise. I then use a laser boresighter that has a taper that snugs up on the muzzle and an expanding arbor to center it in the bore. With that and a 10 yd wall I get the dot boresighted so close that I know from experience I'll be dead nuts on at 15 yards and within 3 inches at 25 yards. Since I can't think of a legally defensible shot I would need to take at 25 yards, I load the pistol and roll with it. Yeah I'll fine tune zero at 25 next time I'm at the range (because I can) but I won't wait to carry the pistol until then.
  5. It's made in China.
@shields shtr if you've never used a optic-equipped pistol, be ready for a steep ass learning curve unless you are at a USPSA A class (or equivalent) level of skill.

Assuming that you know how to properly grip a pistol (a big assumption from what I have seen) the first thing you will need to fix is your index, meaning where your pistol ends up pointing out of the holster (or after picking it up from a table/whatever) WITHOUT any reference to the sights. You will need to learn to drive that pistol out to the target without taking your eyes off the target and have the pistol not only be pointing right at it but also high enough that the optic is right at eye level. If not, you will struggle mightily and constantly to find/keep the dot in your field of view.

You will need to learn to accept your wobble, particularly when trying to make precise shots. That wobble is always there, you just don't see it when using irons sight.

You will need to learn to accept shooting with the dot looking like a red streak within the acceptable area of the target if you ever want to have a hope of shooting quickly (less than .3 splits to begin).

And you will need to learn to use your eyes completely opposite to what you have ever been told to do with irons. Your focus is 100% on the target with both eyes open and looking around/past the optic so that the dot appears superimposed on target without staring at the dot. This part is very difficult to explain in writing and the best way to find out if you're failing at it is to put a piece of opaque tape over the front of the optic's lens. If you do that and can't see the target any more while pointing the pistol at it, then you know you're focusing on the dot and not on the target.

Just my $.02 from about 20K rounds through RDS pistols in competition, practice, and training over the last 18 months.

Last edited: