• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Gold Ring HD or Steiner Predator C5?

Re: Leupold Gold Ring HD or Steiner Predator C5?

Leupold for me. Go down to your local Bass Pro and get them in your hands - everybody seems to like different glass depending on how they see things.

over price Chinese or German, uhm thats a hard choice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">over price Chinese or German, uhm thats a hard choice</div></div>

Yea, what he said ........

Leupold scopes R OK but every pair of Lupy binos I've looked through have been crap...........just my .02

Try em both and get the one that your happy with.

I have looked through both at the "store". I don't like basing my purchase on the ten seconds I spend looking at a mounted cougar across the sales floor. I was just wondering if anybody who owns these models could chime in on what they have expirienced in the field.

never been impressed with Steiners, in fact i bought Leupolds Wind River Olympic series(Chinese assembled) glass over Steiners and others, I'm sure Leupolds Golden Ring is even better.

But even better the best glass I've found for the buck is Nikons Monarch glass 8x42 should serve you well and for less than $300.

While in the store I really liked the Steiner Peregrine binos. Very bright and clear. I bought a pair and even around the house they seemed pretty good but gave me some eye strain. Out in the field, I just couldn't get the diopter adjustment to be right for varying distances. It would be focused for far away, then when looking at something much closer, I'd have to mess with the diopter again. They are very hard on the eyes. I will end up sending them back to Steiner to have checked out. Other than that, I really liked them. Very clear, compared to my Wind River Cascades. But even those have given me much less trouble and are actually pretty decent.

Thanks for the last two replies. That was the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

I have been really happy with the Leupold. I have a set of the Steiner Predator and they are nice but I like the Leupold 59130 10x50mm Tactical Coyote Brown TMR more. The

Mike @ CSGW

The Lupy Gold Ring are nice but pretty darn heavy. I compared them side by side with the Vortex Viper and they were very close, but the Viper were lighter and cheaper, and made in Japan.

Scott

I owned a set of Leupold Gold Ring 10x42 HD binos. They were great but heavy. Very clear and bright, if they had a mounting screw hole for use on a tripod I wouldn't have sold them.

I would go with leupy in the GRs, they are hard to beat glass wise at any price, great glass. Bad on them for me is they are not as refined as top bins and I hate their eyecups. As far as the Steiners go never a top bin IMO German or not. A review and these are the non HDs, http://betterviewdesired.com/Leupold-Golden-Ring-8x42.php

Don't forget that with the Gold rings you get a true no BS lifetime warranty. That alone is worth giving Leupold the edge in my book if they are even close in features for what you want.

another member here got them predators....and i glassed the range with them at tiger valley from the tower.....i was super impressed with them....very crisp w/ no aberration.....if i were glassing for game, these are what i would want.

i was comparing these to what i had at the time which were a older set of LRF leicas 7x42

Sounds like I could go either way. I might have to flip a coin.

P.S.-
I meant either way with the binos!