• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Leupold GR and M4 spotters, whats the difference?

JL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2005
Banned
12-40x60 spotter comes as golden ring and Mark4.
What excactly is the difference between these two? Golden Ring specs mention HD lenses, but it's still cheaper.

Re: Leupold GR and M4 spotters, whats the difference?

MK4 has a reticle , either TMR , P4F , Mild dot or Horus and does not have HD glass.

gold ring has HD glass as an option but no reticle

I'll buy that, but it still make no sense to me. Isnt Mark IV supposed to be top scope in 12-40 series?

Also used "ask expert" in Leupolds page over week ago. Guess there isn't any experts around since they are not answering my q.

I was led to believe superior compatibility with NV devices, my P4 reticle MK4 works great with the PVS-14 and the OSTI AN/PVS-22. Admittedly max power is a bit much, but lower magnifications (under 16X) have been very effective.

The MK4 does NOT have HD glass AND has an added laser coating to protect the viewer when using Laser devices.

Simply put the MK4 is not as high optical quality as the GR. If you do not need laser protection and want HD glass buy the GR used for ~$800 and send it to Leupold custom shop and have the TMR added for $400 and have the same cost as a MK4 but better glass and coatings....

The spec for the M4 spotter doesn't include the HD glass. Unless Leupold got a PIP approved by the .mil to put HD glass in the M4 they will not do it. They cannot deviate from the spec.

Their other option would be to build an M4 with the HD glass for the civilian market but this would add another SKU and another product line to deal with. They probably have no desire to go that route simply because it's too much hassle for them at this point. People will buy one or the other to fit their needs. They probably see both as already fitting differing needs and see no reason to deviate.