• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold long range tactical

kjc

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
ky
I was wanting some info on this scope. It's a Leupold vari-x III 6.5-20x50mm long range tactical. Are these pretty good scopes? What are they worth? The only number I could find was on the bottom "358361L"
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Kevin

Re: Leupold long range tactical

how do they compare to the m4

thanks
kevin

They are nice scopes but they are not like the Mark 4s. I recommend look at the Leupold MK4 M5 scopes.

Here is a video we did on the Leupold Mk4 M5.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

^^^^ What he said.

I have both the MK4 & a couple LRT's. There is a definite difference between the two, the MK4 feels more robust to me, especially in the turrets. The LRT is still doing the job for me, with no failures yet, but if you are going to drop coin on a Leupy, pick up the MK4.

To answer some of your questions, if the scope you have is like the ones I have then yes they are very good scopes and do compare well with the mark4 scopes considering they are essentially a Mark4 scope.

By the number you provided the "L" suffix indicates the scope was built in 2003 and if it is a Vari-X III Long Range Tactical it has M1 knobs and probably a mil dot reticle also it will not have the golden ring it will have the blacked out ring, all this will be how it originally came from Leupold. It will not be like the scope in the link provided above. It will look like this:

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0545.jpg

DSCN0549.jpg

These scopes are part of Leupold's tactical line before late 2004 when the Vari-X III line was discontinued and the VX-III line was started. All the tactical Vari-X III scopes were incorporated into the Mark4 line which at the time were only fixed power scopes, so the Vari-III Long Range Tactical became the Mark4 LR/T in variable power.

As you can see in the picture below the product number is 54680-P, Leupold still uses the product number 54680 to designate it's Mark4 LR/T mil dot M1 scopes.

DSCN0534.jpg

Now you should be able to tell which scope you have a Vari-X III Long Range Tactical or a Long Range Target as pictured in the link above. If you have a scope like the one I've provided info about,<span style="font-weight: bold"> IMO again IMO</span> it is as good as newer Mark4 scopes in build quality and glass quality to my eyes. I have a newer Mark4 built in 2009 and two of the Vari-X III tactical scopes and to me I can't personally tell much of a difference in the glass quality, I will however say that the older M1 knobs on the Vari-X III tactical feel more solid (stiff) to me when making adjustments.

Now I'm not a scope guru or an optical engineer or an engineer of anything else so the statements above about glass and build quality are my personal opinions and should be taken as such. The information above to the best of my knowledge is true, you should be able to call Leupold with number you provided and confirm which scope you have.

Kevin.

Thanks everybody.. Mine is just like the one in the picture that you provided.

Again thanks
Kevin