• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold M3 knob differences?

Josh-L

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2005
Red Dirt, OK USA
I've been trying to find a used mark 4 with M3 knobs and noticed that some look a little different. Is there different generations of the M3? Also if in the future can you swap M3 knobs for M2 knobs?

Re: Leupold M3 knob differences?

Variable and fixed power are different also you need to determin if you need clockwise or counter clockwise turrets.

You can swap them to M2 knobs, I forget the exact cost but I checked on it once.

DMG is right, the fixed power scopes use a very short knob (about half what the variable scopes M3 is) and then depending on which model/year etc. some turn clockwise and some counter clockwise on the variable models.

Ah ok I think that was the difference I was seeing was the fixed vs. variable.

So what are the pros/cons of the clockwise vs counter clockwise? Never heard of that. I always thought the direction was pretty universal.

I don't think there is any advantage, aside in that if you do a lot of dialing it might be nice if all your scopes were the same so you always know that say clockwise was "up" etc.

For example I certainly would not want one M3 loopy that was CCW and one that was CW. That's like personally inviting Murphy to visit
smile.gif

I think it depends on the year and model number. My Vari-X 111 has a counter clockwise M3 knob. When I ordered a new M3 turret from Leupold they sent a clockwise dial. I had to call them and ask for a counter clockwise turret. Plus, my dial was in meters and I wanted yards, although I am not sure there is any difference between the two other than the printing.