• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold M5 turret- .1 mil or 1cm?

Re: Leupold M5 turret- .1 mil or 1cm?

0.1 MIL = 1 cm @ 100 meters = 0.36 inches @ 100 yards

Keep the units the same.

Well I thought "metric" clicks had been around awhile. If they are the same why are .1 mil clicks all the rage currently?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I thought "metric" clicks had been around awhile. If they are the same why are .1 mil clicks all the rage currently? </div></div>

Someone light up the Bolt sign. He needs in on this.

Lindy, I read that thread and almost every other one you post.
I just don't see how they are the same if the value per click is not the same value.

They are the same.

An angle of 0.1 milliradians is an angle which subtends an arc whose length is 1 centimeter at a distance of 100 meters.

It's dumb to list that as 1 centimeter at 100 meters when the actual angle is simply 0.1 milliradians. I broke Schmidt & Bender of the habit of listing clicks that way. Perhaps eventually Leupold will catch on.

Pay no attention to what's in the Leupold brochure. Those are written by marketing people who often, if not invariably, have no idea what they are talking about.

Cheers!

For the metric world (everywhere but the USA), "1 cm at 100 m" is easier to understand and just as proper and accurate as "0.1 milliradians"...
wink.gif

It is accurate. There is nothing wrong with describing an angle that way - especially if there is no unit specifically designated for the quantity, as there is not for Inches Per Hundred Yards, which some Leupold scopes adjust in fractions of.

However, a mrad (or milrad, if you prefer) <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> a recognized unit of angle, and there is no reason whatsoever not to use it.

Using the "X @ distance" specification simply confuses the fact that an angular description is not specific to a method of linear measurement, and there are already sufficient people confused by that. There is no point in adding to the number.

Lindy, I fully agree with you... regarding USA users.

For the rest of the world "1 cm at 100 m" is easier and faster to grasp, even more for the less educated and math savvy.

1. mil equals .3937
.1 mil equals .03937
this is the way I see it. I have the super sniper HD but havent been able to mount it yet (waiting for my seekins for a while now.) when I get it mounted I was going to varify this with a range test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. mil equals .3937
.1 mil equals .03937
this is the way I see it. I have the super sniper HD but havent been able to mount it yet (waiting for my seekins for a while now.) when I get it mounted I was going to varify this with a range test. </div></div>

If your going to quote math conversion statements you REALLY need to finish the statement and learn about decimal points.

1.0 Mil = 3.937 INCHES at 100 METERS
0.1 Mil = 0.3937 INCHES at 100 METERS
1.0 Mil = 3.6 INCHES at 100 YARDS
0.1 Mil = 0.36 INCHES at YARDS

PLEASE verify not only the optical accuracy of your optic but the value of the clicks. You may (probably) will be suprised at what you find.

Cheers,

Doc