• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold M5

Re: Leupold M5

I am holding one in my hand as I type.
The bell is of course much larger and the scope is longer then my M3A Ultra so I am having clearence issues with my ITRS rails on my TRG.
Outside diameter with the Leupold flip up scope caps is 2.489" or 63.2mm, so plan accordingly.

Initial impression "sweet".
The windage and elevation knobs have very definable clicks when turning, so if you are going by feel you will like that. Other then that I am trying to figure out the best way to mount this optic.

Don't have one, but I am disappointed to see that Leupold's pricing still sucks (at least at Midway...and for what I expect to see in terms of value)! I guess it will all depend largely on how well these scopes perform as to whether the scopes are overpriced, but $2300-$2600 for the Horus reticle models seems excessive to me given some of the other alternatives on the market for high-end glass in the same budget range.

But you have to look at what Horus charges for their recticles when looking at that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But you have to look at what Horus charges for their recticles when looking at that price. </div></div>

True...no argument there whatsoever. I am sure that the price of the Horus accounts for at least some of the increased price. My concern was more or less the Leupold side of the equation and justifying paying $2300 or more and ending up with the same old QC issues, etc. that have been discussed here ad nauseum. I have personally had problems with two different Leupold Mark 4 scopes in the last year (one tracking/inability to hold zero problem and one broken mil-dot reticle) and it is obvious that many others have had similar difficulties judging from some of the "I hate Leupold" threads. I hope that Leupold has embarked on a new course that will resolve their previous quality problems and get them back in the game so to speak. It seems that they are at least listening to customers and others in the industry and are trying to embrace change for the better. I just have trouble swallowing the price on the front end on a gamble that may or may not pay off.

As I said, I'll reserve judgment on these new offerings from Leupold until someone has had a chance to evaluate their performance before I make my final decision on the reasonableness of the price tag.

I have only had one issue with a scope of theirs and that is a VX-II that I bought about 20 some odd years, had dropped multiple times, thrown crap on it, sat on, rained on, just plain abused and then cranked the elevation knob tooooo high and thats when I had the issue!! User error/abuse and not an error on behalf of the maker. This is why I like Leupold's. It sucks to hear what sounds like slipping QC and pride in their product!!

I'm hoping that my other 4 Leupolds hold up as well (I'm treating them nicer) and so far so good!

My MRT has been to Iraq and back with no issues.