• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 2 Opinions

GySgtMUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
NC
What is the general consensus on the Mark 2 scopes as an under $500 scope that would be used on a semi-precision AR? I have just started looking around at different mid-level scopes and was wondering how they stacked up to say the Nikon Tacticals, Sightrons, Millets and others that are in the same price category. I know there are much better scopes to be had and used but I want to stay on the cheaper side since it isnt going to be used in an environment that warrants the extra engineering in scope building.

- I did the search but turned up nothing on the Mark II as far as review/opinion.

Mahalo

Re: Leupold Mark 2 Opinions

They are a decent scope. IME for a semi-precision AR (2 MOA with milspec ammo), the real need is for fast target acquisition and good low light performance. IMO you cant beat a Trijicon 1.2-4 with that BIG amber diamond and no batteries. Target acquisition is right now and the hollow two legged post makes holdover easy. Once you learn how big the diamond is you can use it as an adequate ranging device out to 400 meters on a man size target.
The surprising thing is that when put on a really accurate rifle you still can shoot excellent groups. I used a 3-9 post on my BOSS equipped M 70 270 this past year and had no problem shooting .75 MOA groups out to 400 and killing an Antelope at almost 300.
Here's my AR 10 308 DPMS TAC with the 1.2-4. 2-3 MOA with German milspec surplus, 1-1.5 MOA with 168 A Max, varget and CCI magnums.

DSCN2714.jpg

I've owned a Mark 2. It's decent, but I think that the "Tactical" aspect of it raises the price while doing nothing for its actual value. The glass is the same as a VXII.

Honetly, for the price, I think you could find a Sightron SII Big Sky model with MUCH better glass for probably less than $400. After owning a Mark 2, Mark 4 and Sightron, I think it will be difficult to go back to the Leupold scopes. The Sightrons are an excellent value.

I had been reading about the Sightrons on here but have never seen one in person. I actually thought they were in the same class as Tasco until reading the reviews. I will have to take a look at a few of them and see what I think. Right now I have my Nikon Monarch sitting on the gun just so I would at least have something.

The Mark 2's are nice, but as others have said they are really just VXII glass so the glass is good but it's nothing special. The advantage to them is you can get a mildot reticule and they have "tactical" low profile knobs with covers and more adjustment than most offerings in that price range. They are also lighter than many other options. To me they make good choices for hunting/lightweight rig scopes if you want low profile tac knobs and mildot reticules and need more adjustment and more solid clicks than nikon/bushnell/etc. offer. While being half the weight of the bigger 30mm/large tac knob scopes are such as the falcon/supersniper etc. I also like the 1/2 MOA adjustments.

Downsides of course is there are no mil knob options, no TMR reticule options, and the adjustment range is still limited compared to many of the more expensive 30mm tube scopes, and the cost is a premium $600+ for most models is a little high for what you get. If it was a 30mm model with exposed low prof. knobs with vxII glass they would be more in line with their price. Especially now that we are seeing companies like burris and nikon put out 30mm scopes with very good glass for less $.

They are "ok". Had one, was good but prepare for 'phantom clicks'. Other things as the fellas mentioned above. From my point of view the Super Sniper 10x has been a better performer all around.

MK2 doesn't interest me, at all.

For like funds, you can have a VXII or VXIII with M1 turrets from the Leupold custom shop.

I picked up a VXIII 2.5-8x36 for $319 and spent $130 for REAL turrets via the custom shop:
308-1.jpg

308.jpg

+1 on the Sightrons. The name isn't as "household" - but the product is sweet for the $, IMO.

That's a good point as well and honestly if you don't mind the taller M1 knobs they are better than the T2 knobs on the Mark 2's. I've always been a fan of smaller profile knobs if you could get M2/M3 knobs on a VXIII I'd be doing that in a heartbeat.

Though once you pay for the $160 reticule change, and $130 for the knob change you are probably in used Mark 4 territory.

The 2.5-8x36 is a great scope it's the only one my deer rifle has worn for 20 years and it's never failed yet, and not coming off anytime soon. Only thing I'd consider replacing it with is their mark 4 version. Perfect light deer rifle scope, everyone overlooks it now because their deer rifle "needs" 50mm obj. and 14+ power.

The sightron's seem to get positive remarks pretty well across the board. I think what really kills them is no major distribution, can't find them anywhere locally. I think sportsmans here has carried their cheapest sub $200 scopes, but never seen any of the II-III line.