• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 3HD

Is there a thread we could start that has all of the new products announced by the industry? Not being a smartbutt but I think this would be helpful.

Cool another Leupold product that almost appeals to the market.
Atleast the turrets aren't as ugly as the LRP turrets.

The 50mils of adjustment sounds nice for 22lr ELR but whats the bet the parallax will only go down to 50yards.

The 50mils of adjustment sounds nice for 22lr ELR but whats the bet the parallax will only go down to 50yards.
I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the internal adjustment values listed on Midway are wrong. The 4-12 says 80 mil of internal adjustment. In a 30mm tube? The 35mm Mk5 has ~30 - 35mil of internal elevation adjustment.

Maybe 80 MOA(ish)/24 mils of total elevation adjustment, but I’d be pretty surprised at 80mils of internal adjustment.

• Wow
Reactions: guyandsuch
And they come with 6 mil per revolution turrets.... ? Not sure that's what everyone is after.

And they come with 6 mil per revolution turrets.... ? Not sure that's what everyone is after.

If I had $700 to spend it'd be a hard decision between this and the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56.......

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the internal adjustment values listed on Midway are wrong. The 4-12 says 80 mil of internal adjustment. In a 30mm tube? The 35mm Mk5 has ~30 - 35mil of internal elevation adjustment.

Maybe 80 MOA(ish)/24 mils of total elevation adjustment, but I’d be pretty surprised at 80mils of internal adjustment.
That has to be a misprint or typo, I would bet money Midway meant MOA travel not MILS.

Oh, they appeal to the market, it's just that the market is not us.

I still do not understand how they can not manage to do a solid 1-6. These 1.5-4 scopes, who is buying those? Leupold makes 1 good idea for every 10 it seems. The only scope I see being a major issue in SFP is the 8-24. I do not understand high magnification scopes in SFP. 12-15 power, maybe 18 like they have in the lineup, fine.

The 4-12x40 in both the FireDot and regular TMR actually has my interest for a couple of my AR's. I was originally going to do a couple of the new Athlon scopes for my 300BLK rifles.

I still do not understand how they can not manage to do a solid 1-6. These 1.5-4 scopes, who is buying those? Leupold makes 1 good idea for every 10 it seems. The only scope I see being a major issue in SFP is the 8-24. I do not understand high magnification scopes in SFP. 12-15 power, maybe 18 like they have in the lineup, fine.

The 4-12x40 in both the FireDot and regular TMR actually has my interest for a couple of my AR's. I was originally going to do a couple of the new Athlon scopes for my 300BLK rifles.

Admittedly we have no idea what glass or tracking will be like but the new Athlon Helos Gen 2 looks like it has these new offerings in every way for similar price.
The Leupold might have some degree of made in the USA but the Helos 2-12x42 looks like a better scope in ever possible way than these.

I don't know why I find this new abhorrent, I think it just seems like Leupold is just continually regurgitating their old VX3/Mark 4 line with minimal improvements.
The glass might be great and it track well but 700USD for a 3x erector, 6mil turrets, a 20 year old reticle design and no FFP.
Seems like all they are missing it a mixed Mil/MOA reticle/turret option.

Oh, they appeal to the market, it's just that the market is not us.

I'm not sure they do.

I've never seen a single VX3 LRP at any of the shooting matches I've been too, despite the $500-$1000 range of scopes being by far the most common.
It seems like they are combining the worst of hunting and tactical scopes and creating products that appeal to no one.

Hunters don't need 1x and it's easier for them to manufacture at 1.5x

A FFP would be a complete win, but Leupold does Leupold things and lives in the 20th century. DOH!

Reactions: chevy327
I still think it is a nice option for ARs or possibly for the 18” 6.5 creedmoor I keep wanting to build. Don’t want a massive 50-56mm objective in those guns. I was going to get a Bushnell DMRII but I don’t want a 50mm objective to bang into things. Glass should be good. I’ve never had a complaint about Leupold glass and at least it is mil/mil and I love the capped windage. Biggest problem I see as others have stated is the SFP and 6 mil turrets also, why can’t they be styled like the Mk5s M5C3 turrets??

Well, I have a Mark 3HD 4-12x40 on order. I might order the Fire Dot version depending on how I like this. Fire Dot doesn't have adjustable parallax. It would be going on a dedicated sub sonic 300BLK though so not like I need to adjust for shots out further than 100-150.

I initially thought that the mk3hd would be the replacement for the vx3i lrp but sfp kills it for me. 3x erector scopes always seem to be light and my LRP tracks so I'd expect the same.

Well, I have a Mark 3HD 4-12x40 on order. I might order the Fire Dot version depending on how I like this. Fire Dot doesn't have adjustable parallax. It would be going on a dedicated sub sonic 300BLK though so not like I need to adjust for shots out further than 100-150.
Any idea when therse are coming into to stock. Leupold announced the product today, but its the only scope they announced that they are not selling yet.

Are they even in stock and shipping yet. Still waiting for my order from Jan 8th at Eurooptic.
Leupold's site has them, well at least this one. if they let you add it to your cart and buy it on their site now it is in stock.

Reactions: Alekzandr
Well it finally shipped. 4-12x40 with the TMR reticle. Going on a DDM4V11 chambered in 300BLK. Should have it Saturday, and have some range time Sunday assuming the weather isn't rain or gusty winds. Right now weather looks good for that day. So I'll report back then.

Reactions: fanninland
Well, got it a day early. If you have a VX-5HD, it is built almost the same, body and looks wise. Just a couple minor differences.

The MK-3HD 4-12x40 is built very similar to my VX-5HD 3-15x44. I know, I'm comparing an apple to a pear. One costs twice as much but it's the closest thing I got. Otherwise I would be comparing it to a 34mm Tract or a 1-8 NX8.

Comparisons with it unmounted for now till I get it mounted and out Sunday.
  • Elevation turret, the MK is more tactile and audible. Where the VX is just distinct, more subdued so it is not audible.
  • Windage is identical. They are both capped and suck, Squishy, mushy, garbage. Adjust and never touch again.
  • Parralax nob, is reversed/backwards to everything else I have ever owned. Which I saw long back when I ordered in Jan. Infinity is at the bottom. It is smooth, not hard to turn, but enough resistance I would not see any issues with.
  • Mag ring, is also smooth, not overly stiff. It is a quick short through, only a 1/4 turn from 4-12. Not as smooth as the VX though. I am nit picking here. You just feel the ring glide against whatever it is around. Throw lever is nice.
  • Diopter, is smooth, and stiff. I don't see it moving by accident.
  • Reticle, is thicker than I would like. For my purposes though, not a deal breaker. Going on a 16" 300BLK for the purposes of hunting and general plinking.
Other thoughts. More nit picking, it looks hastily put together. Oil marks in a few spots, and the parralax doesn't line up when rotated to whatever the minimum is. Which I can not find listed. But it spins waaay past infinity. I'll see if I can figure out what the minimum is. I'll post that after I have shot with it on Sunday. Two set screws looks like it loosens it. I'll probably adjust the minimum line for 100 Yds even if it will remove paralax with clear focus at a lower yardage like 50 or even 25. Like I said, it spins way past infinity with where the knob is set now. They are only lines all spaced evenly, not numbers like on the VX-5HD.
I'll know more about any CA on Sunday when I shoot.
Any questions let me know and I'll try my best with my limited scope knowledge to answer on Sunday.

Interested in a couple of these for my AR and hunting rig. I will wait to see some feedback from the masses. Hopefully they track

Got the rifle sighted in. In continuation of my initial thoughts. (Thanks phone, but I was trying to get a picture of the rifle, not woods. Sorry for the slightly blurry rifle.)
20210418_181424.jpg

Parralax, I adjusted the nob so the top end bottoms out at infinity. Instead of at the other end of the nob where it was set.
20210418_181506.jpg

At 100 yards the parralax was at about the third line. I was able to remove parallax at 50 with ease. I feel like it could probably go down to 25 as well, but don't have anything set up for that distance that would be stable.

Zero stop is simple. Just a pin under the turret cap that contacts a ring with a pin sticking up on the scope. This only allows for 5.6 Mils of elevation. Does want to go past 0 just slightly, not sure if that is something I can adjust as the stop on the scope looks like a pressed on ring.

Chromatic abjuration, it's there, but nothing that bothered me for the price I paid. Only really noticed it at 50 yards checking parallax.

Reticle is thick. The plate is 8" at 250 yards. Shaded tree line.
Magnification 4x
20210418_181324.jpg

Magnification 12x
20210418_181349.jpg

300BLK with 150gn Fuocchi FMJ, I was only able to get 3/10 at that distance, but I don't blame the scope, or the rifle. Ammo is definitely not match. Unable to test return to zero. That will have to be up to someone else.

Not much of a review I know, but I'm no dark lord of optics. I can do my best to answer any other questions though.

I got mine and will be returning it, I did not realize I could only be getting 5.6 mils out of this scope. Which just seems INSANE to me.
I got this for a light weight hunting rig, and the thought of only being able to use 5.6 mils is a no go for me.
I do like the glass on it!

I got mine and will be returning it, I did not realize I could only be getting 5.6 mils out of this scope. Which just seems INSANE to me.
I got this for a light weight hunting rig, and the thought of only being able to use 5.6 mils is a no go for me.
Did you confirm what I wrote, or just go off what I said? Cause I could just be an idiot and not know what I am doing lol. Like I said though, zero stop is simple.

Does want to go past 0 just slightly, not sure if that is something I can adjust as the stop on the scope looks like a pressed on ring.
That could be there by design. The ability to go .2 or .3 mils "below" 0 gives some flexibility when switching ammo or changing conditions affect your zero.

Reactions: Micro
That could be there by design. The ability to go .2 or .3 mils "below" 0 gives some flexibility when switching ammo or changing conditions affect your zero.

agree, it’s a nice feature on my MK5’s...

Appreciate the member taking time to post up initial thoughts/pics. Hey we got it narrowed down between 80 mils to 5.6 mils...hopefully there’s a happy medium somewhere in there lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alekzandr
No, it's not a few clicks for going past 0. It's like half a click.

20210418_203443.jpg

20210418_203314.jpg

That is the zero stop. Guessing the ring with the nub is not clocked just right.

Reactions: fanninland
Would rather not. It's on 300BLK, so not sending much past 300 yards anyways.
As much as I would like to fix the little bit of over travel as well at 0, I don't want to screw anything up. Not sure how the zero stop ring is on there.

Is there a realistic situations where you would use more than 5.6 mils while hunting?

No I called them and everything and was like Why the F would you guys make a scope that only has 5.6 mils of elevation.
They shit the bed on that one. I was really hoping for something comparable to a Mark5 with less magnification. Seems like they went back a few steps

They shit the bed on that one. I was really hoping for something comparable to a Mark5 with less magnification. Seems like they went back a few steps
Me too, like less features less mag range and second focal plane is what I was thinking the difference would be.

I'm surprised you lot are surprised this recycled 30 year old design has 30 year old specs.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
Mine is a nice little scope. It is a solid performing 3-9 with great glass, easy to adjust mil elevation, put together in the USA, and cost less than $450.00. Definitely not a Mark 5, but significantly below the Mark 5 price tag. I think it is perfect for a hunting scope if someone is realistic on what to expect from their hunting rifle. The dial travel will get me out to 650.

Anyone have experience with both this new MK 3HD 3-9 (or 4-12) and something like the Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9?

Glass quality? Is the Firedot TMR thicker than the MilDot in the Trijicon? Etc. Any other comparably priced and weight optics with Mil reticles?

Also looking for a light weight Mil reticle illuminated optic to recommend for a friends lightweight AR and these two came to mind first.

I still think it is a nice option for ARs or possibly for the 18” 6.5 creedmoor I keep wanting to build. Don’t want a massive 50-56mm objective in those guns. I was going to get a Bushnell DMRII but I don’t want a 50mm objective to bang into things.
As someone with a large frame 18" 6.5 Creedmoor AR with a DMRII - it's a great combo ;)