• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 M1 Illuminated Reticle

TPE

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
I have this scope, Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 M1 Illuminated Reticle I just got it and would like to know what you all think about it compared to a comparable Nightforce. Thanks for the help.

Josh

Re: Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 M1 Illuminated Reticle

hey..........................only kiddin....i got three un-lit....they be very very nice

A better value than the NF.
NF usually has better feeling adjustments and arguably better reticle options.
MK4 is usually less expensive and lighter weight.
I have owned several of both and do not feel that optical quality is significantly different. (despite many who swear to the contrary)
I even lined up 2 NF and 2 Mk4s to view different prints and colors as light faded. In daylight the mirage was ALWAYS the limiting factor. At night the ability to distinguish print disappeared at about the same time. I think I may have been able to see a couple of colored lines with the NF after I lost them with the MK4s-but it wasn't definitive.

Both are great scopes.
I usually hunt with the MK4s and target shoot with the NF(based on weight and size)

I agree, both leupy an NF are very good optics but leupy as SMH stated is lighter, but i still like NF, weight for a young body like me isnt a problem...jks either way u wont be disappointed

I have a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 TMR and I love it! That being said, I have a friend with a NF and the glass is definitely clearer and the NF feels more solid. Depends if you have some extra dollars to spend.

man i cant decide what I want to do, do you all think the power is too high on the scope?

I feel that if I'm shooting out past 100 yds, the extra magnification is welcome so I can actually see the target and sometimes even spot my shots. I used to have a 10x SS and it was frustrating shooting at 200+ yds because I couldn't see where I hit.

Just my personal opinion.

Re: Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 M1 Illuminated Reticl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TPE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man i cant decide what I want to do, do you all think the power is too high on the scope? </div></div>

Definitely not! If you're shooting groups for for score you want all the mag you can get... and if you're hunting you may want to go with the 4.5-14 so you can dial out a bit more when needed. But for comps I love the 6.5X20!

what about the nightforce 3.5 - 15x people say you can make 1000 yard shots with that mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TPE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about the nightforce 3.5 - 15x people say you can make 1000 yard shots with that mag </div></div>

Of course! A 10x is more than enough.

Julian

Then why do some people have 22x scopes on guns with rounds that are only good for 1000 yards. Is it for target shooting.

Some people, like me, prefer more magnification. I am not arguing with the many more experienced shooters than myself, I know 10X is sufficient for 1K because people do it very day. But for me, I know I shoot better with more mag. I recently bought a MKIV in 4.5-14x50 illuminated TMR. I LOVE the scope, but wish I'd have went with at least the 6.5-20 if not the 8.5-25 in the same scope. I went with the 4.5 because the scope will be used for hunting and I wanted a lower bottom end, but in hindsight I think the 6.5 would have been okay. When target shooting, I am always on the max power, unless mirage is real bad. JMO, YMMV.

10x, is more than enough..........IF you have the eyes for it.
Age causes changes...............so buy accordingly.

That makes since, I always put my scope to max zoom as well. I have been told to practice on 12x by some instructors as it gives you a better field of view in tactical situations

if ur hunting heavy timber alot i wouldnt go with anything over 10x. but if ur hunting wide open like it is here where i live. then 14x or 20x is perfect. seen as im young i dont have bad eyes(yet), but i like the extra magnification, but it takes sometime to get used to seen as almost everytime ur heart beats ur crosshairs jiggle a little.