• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 LRT vs Other Optics

timharris924

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2009
Eastpointe, Mi
I am thinking of buying the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 6.5-20x50mm 30mm tube illuminated mildot recticle. I really like the scope, but is it the best I can get for the price? I have heard good things about NF as well. I am trying to keep an open mind. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Re: Leupold Mark 4 LRT vs Other Optics

If you can afford a nightforce you will be happier. That is if you actaully use it for what it is made for, dialing in drops. Optically I have found my Nightforce better than the Mk4's I have owned, but someone else's eye may see things differently. The turrets are night and day better than the Mk4's.

here is a brief seach on the subject:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1337121

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1148956

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1263244

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=801177

I plan to use it at various ranges, going out to 1k+. The chances to get out to 1k+ will not be very frequent, none the less I want the right equipment for those days.

If you don't NEED the illuminated reticle, you can frequently find the MK4's for less than 1K used here on the hide. One just went for $900. Kinda hard to beat that price, no matter what is "better". I have a 6.5-20 & 8.5-25 MK4 that work just fine for me. I shoot them out to 1200 yds and never had the first problem with either of them.

I have used Mark 4's as well as the Nightforces and S&B tactical scopes. I like them all. I would say I like the S&B's best, but not by much. Considering cost, I would say the Leupold wins hands down.
One of the features I really like in a tactical/LR scope is some reticule based in MLS and adj in 1/10 mils. For real precision, not the mil dot. Need 1/2 mil hash marks and smaller than a dot. Illumination for low light to see the smaller marks. It is so easy to use then. Let us say that you fire a shot, and see the strike 1/2 ML low and 1.5ML right. You do NO MATH. Just dial up 5 clicks and left 15. It does not matter how far, MOA, MILS ect. Just dial and shoot. I do not know what the cost of these features in the Leupold would be, or if they are avaiable.
I really like the glass and turrents in the Leupold scopes. And the customer service they offer at reasonalbe rates.
You cannot go wrong with any of these scopes. I would say it is just a matter of what you want to spend and what you like. Could you find some who would let you try some of them. Hands on is really the only way to make an informed decision. On the range, not in the store.
What you will actually be comparing is cost, bulk and features. Quality is a given with these scopes. I think each one is worth the price charged. And all are nice to deal with for service. JMO

I have a MK4 3.5-10x40mm Illuminated TMR, and I wish I had've went with the Nightforce. I got to shoot a guys 700 that had a nightforce while I was out at the range. The scope made mine look like shit, the Glass was alot better to say the least. I used to love my MK4, now I wish someone would give me 1300 for it. Thats over a hundred off if your interested.

Reactions: Saracen

We just got three 4.5-14x50 Mk4's in. The Mk4 is a LE standard in that price range and that was the reasoning. If you can afford nightforce or USO then I highly suggest you go that route.

I have not been impressed with the MK4 for the price they command. They WILL get the job done, but if my 4-14x44FFP Falcon had an illuminated reticle, then it would have been better in every way compared to the Leupold.

I know comparing my USO SN-3 to the Mk4's isnt fair, but that is what I use every day. As soon as I took the new mk4 out of the box and spun the turrets I was underwhelmed. The finish is nice, but the clicks are indistict and the marks don't line up precisely.

I will have more input as I get the new rifles put together and run tracking tests on them.

The Mk Ive got thats a 6.5-20 has as good of glass as my Nightforce. Maybe I have a bad Nightforce? I hope I dont get flammed for this but, If my NF is up to par, Im not impressed for $1700 bucks..

Glass quality is not the end-all be-all of determining scope quality. Have you run a tracking test on the Leupy? Are the clicks distinct? Do the hash marks line up? I don't have a lot of experience with Nightforce, but the examples I have handled were much better than the Leupolds I have worked with.

I am not saying Leupolds are bad. I just think there is better available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not saying Leupolds are bad...</div></div>So I'll say it then: Leupolds are bad. Because the chances of getting a bad Leupold are higher now than ever.

If you are on a budget, get a NF. If you don't pay extra for zero stop, or Mil knobs, it's only a few hundred bucks more than a Leupy and a much more durable scope.

I have a Mk4 3.5-10x40mm LR M1 and a USO ST10. Looking back on things I bought what I had budget for at the time (regarding the Leupold). Would I buy another Mk4, yeah I would. I only wish I would have had the extra cash to buy the 6.5-20 or the 8.5-25 Mk4 but whats done is done.

Comparing glass to glass and looking at budgets is tough. Is there better optics available, yepper but at a price. If it's a strict budget then you buy what you can. There are a few members here on the Hide that offer some very attractive prices on the Leupolds so keep an eye out.

It's easy for "us" to say buy this or buy that as its only a couple or few hundred dollars more. But when real life sets in you may already be at the top of your budget and you have to get the most for your money.

This can be a hair pulling experience but you'll get thru it, trust me.

good luck.

Todd

Well, it would appear that the majority here puts the NF above the Mk4. I really appreciate everybody's input. There is a lot of "what I have a budget for", I am extremely patient. What I can not afford today, I will be able to afford tomorrow. Granted I am not looking for a $5000 scope, but the $2000 range can be done. I have heard good things about eurooptic.com, has anybody dealt with him, and has input. I know he does offer an LE discount, which is a plus. Now as far as NF is concerned, I was looking for a Mk4 LR/T 6.5-20x50mm, 30mm tube, M1, Illuminated Mildot, what NF do I want based on that? Thanks again.

I have a couple mk4s because I have too many rifles to put ultra high end optics on. I was shooting one afternoon alternating between rifles with a USO, MK4, and Nightforce; the mk4s had the worst glass of all of them but it is still very usable. Past around 500yds the difference between the better two and the mk4 was very obvious, the leupold was just fuzzy out at long distances. The Nightforce and USO are close but I feel the USO is better (with the exception of the dust particles that are floating around in it). The USO far exceeds the toughness of any other scope I have ever seen but that comes at the cost of a much heavier scope.

What about the super sniper scopes. I have read good things about them. They are cheaper than both of those. I shot with Wayne Saturn a couple of weeks ago and he loved it. I think their best is around 799. Not bad if the scope performs.

I am very pleased with Lupys.

On a realistic "man toy" budget trying to outfit my two boys with sticks of their own so we can all shoot and with all the other costs involved, components etc..., I just cant justify spending the coin for the ultra premiums.

You're talking about a McM A5 included in the price of a MK4 next to a Nightforce. Consider the USOs or SBs and it's even greater, A5 + custom action.

I have other interests besides shooting that are equally as expensive that I have to fund as well.

It's all in perspective.

Sounds alot like the Premier I just got, and I think the Leupolds are fine,. Sure there is alot better glass, but there not much that is as affordable as a Leupy that delivers the same quality.

Just my $0.02 though,...ymmv.

Do the Night force have the illuminated reticle???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just got three 4.5-14x50 Mk4's in. The Mk4 is a LE standard in that price range and that was the reasoning. If you can afford nightforce or USO then I highly suggest you go that route.

I have not been impressed with the MK4 for the price they command. They WILL get the job done, but if my 4-14x44FFP Falcon had an illuminated reticle, then it would have been better in every way compared to the Leupold.

I know comparing my USO SN-3 to the Mk4's isnt fair, but that is what I use every day. As soon as I took the new mk4 out of the box and spun the turrets I was underwhelmed. The finish is nice, but the clicks are indistict and the marks don't line up precisely.

I will have more input as I get the new rifles put together and run tracking tests on them.</div></div>

You brought up a good point about the clicks that I didn't think of mentioning. Half the time you don't feel the clicks that your dialing. It's not a problem when your able to see them, but would be a big one if you couldn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dartvidar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the Night force have the illuminated reticle???</div></div>

Are you serious? They have a website too by the way but YES they are.

Years ago, all I knew was Leupold. I was shooing one day and saw this "strange scope" on a rifle and asked the guy what it was "a NightForce" a what? "look at it" he said. I think he noticed me with that look thinking, yeah, whatever I'll humor you. When I looked through that scope I was amazed with the clarity. It's like a pair of Oakley's vs a $10 pair of glasses from Walmart. And yes, the dials are much better.

I guess I will chip in. I have no brand name loyalty eother way. I bought an IOR a few years ago, when I compared it in the shop to a NF the IOR glass was better, it was a 2.5 X 10 by 42. I wanted more magnification and I bought a Lupie MarkIV from the custom shop a 4.5 X 14 X 40. I like the glass, I don't know how it would stack up against a NF side by side. What sold it for me is the size of the objective. I hunt with all my rifles and weight and size mean something to me. I don't like the big objectives. They are tough to get in and out of a saddle scabbard. I have been looking at the NF 2.5 X 10 X 32 but I wish it was made in a higher power, like the Lupie maybe 4.5 X 14. I just like the smaller bells. I don't think that you are "settling" when you buy a Mark IV. Thanks guys

The Leupold MK4 work just fine. And, if I were looking for one I would spend time in the Optics for sale section because you can get some fine scopes for cheaper than buying them new. You just have to have patience. I have MK4's and I also have Vortex Razor too. They are not in the same league but then again I didn't expect them to be. The glass is fine in a MK4. It just gets bashed on here alot. I have had good luck with MK4 but when I do have an issue Leupold customer service is there to help.

I don't have either a MK 4 or a NF but know people that do and use them a lot. Both for tactical and 1K+ matches. From what I've gathered, the MK4 has the better glass but the turrets/clicks on the NF are far superior. As to the comment earlier about the Super Sniper, I had 2, had being the key word. Will never have any again. Maybe their HD one is better but to say I was not impressed doesn't get to the real feeling. Spend a couple hundred extra and get a MK4 over one of them. MK4 vs. NF, look at your budget and get what you can, be happy with it. When you get to that level and above I think you are spending a lot more to get there and not getting a lot back at that point. Law of diminishing returns there.

I don't own a nightforce either - but i have a Mk4 LRT 4.5 - 14 50 and i like it. It's clear and bright out to distances. Also, i like the fact that i don't have to screw around with a eye focus piece. Plus, the scope is shorter than most in the same magnification range. I also have a falcon i just got yesterday - 5-25 and a horus hawk - which i want to get rid of or trade in.
So i guess i've never looked through what the fellow forum-ers call awesome glass. But i like mine.