• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MARK 4 M3 zeroing question

Hookman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
Franklin, TN.
Where's the situation - I am planning on shooting a 2x1000 tomorrow and was wondering if the 168 BDC on the scope will be accurate to the distances indicated on the turret.

I mounted MARK 4m3 on my GAP SCLE and zero-ed it @ 100yards today at the range. It actually shot quite well but in order to get the scope to zero a @ 100 yards, I had to dial UP 6 clicks on the BDC from the bottom stop of the scope. The GAP SCLE should have a Badger 20 MOA base according to the specs but I found it odd that I had to adjust 6 clicks up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Hookman

Re: Leupold MARK 4 M3 zeroing question

if its the first time on the rifle, its not odd to have to adjust for initial zero....especially if you are moving it from a rifle with a 0moa base to one with a 20moa base...let alone if you changed rings ect ect....

as for the accuracy of the BDC dials......there is a bunch of stuff written here and elsewhere that covers the subject pretty well.

The synopsis: the bdc's are accurate for the velocity and conditions they were created for. If your load matches the velocity the dial was calibrated to and you are shooting at the same altitude and temp that is was calibrated to, you should be doing well. The M3 is rather corse to begin with (1moa adjustment). Its not designed for f-class but, rather, to get you in the ballpark quickly when a hit anywhere on the target is good enough.

You might want to shoot the 175 SMK...you will need the 30-06 BDC. It matches the 175 SMK at about 2650 fps. I have an older 3.5X10X40 M3

Thanks for the info. After I just counted the come-ups instead of using the BDC indicated distances on the scope, I was right on the money...I need to spend more time behind my rifle.

GR - I will try the 30-06 BDC when I load up 175's..

Most BDC's denote MOA,which will keep your guessing minimal...assuming you know your velocity.