• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 2.5-8x36mm TMR (60180)

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
I bought this scope back on 6/6/06 for our local bolt-gun run-and-gun matches. Lots of targets to be engaged quickly from around 200yds to 425yds.

I basically zeroed it at 200yds and used it as a fixed-power 8x, due to the 2nd focal plane.

We're not doing those kinds of matches anymore. What would be a good use for this scope today? MidwayUSA still lists it for $979.99. Seems like it ought to be good for something.

The mixed-units (1/2 MOA knobs / mil-based reticle) and 2nd focal-plane seem like they really limit this scopes usefulness.

Ideas?

LU60180.jpg

Re: Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 2.5-8x36mm TMR (60180)

be a great hunting scope. get your dope in MOA and mil (easy on JBM ballistics). i put mil in first column and MOA in second.

i have a few MK 4s and it isn't too tough to make them work.

i also have a few VXII scopes in 2.5-8 that i sent in for M1 elevation knobs that work nicely on light or mid-weight hunting rigs.

Under what circumstances are mixed-units ever an asset?
Along the same lines, how useful really is the variable magnification when combined with a 2nd focal-plane ranging reticle?

I could just use it as a fixed 8x and range with the reticle. That does work.

Or I could just dial for everything and "ignore" the ranging capabilities of the reticle. Treat it like a standard duplex. That works too.

Just seems like a waste. I keep thinking this scope must have been designed as a solution to some problem, but I can't figure out what problem it solves.

Make a barber pole with moa increments. Looking through the scope at 100 yards, dial power down until 1 mil on the reticle subtends 4 moa ( shouldn't take much, probably around 7X or so). Make an index mark on the power ring and tube. Now you can turn to your moa index and have an moa reticle, in 2 moa increments. Or dial up to full power, and have a mil reticle.

I run the same scope on a 16" AR-10. I once said I'd never had a mixed unit scope again and then went and bought this thing. With a one hundred yard zero I shoot out to 500 yards using the reticle, at 8x the second focal plane is not an issue. Inside of 100 I crank the power down if needed for the wider field of view and then the reticle not being true doesn't matter because the distances are close enough. When I've cared to the knobs have been twisted to shoot longer and the wind holds were done via the reticle. Realistically however with a 16" semi how much accuracy and how much distance can I expect? Basically the scope fits the needs I have for my use.

However with most things in life this scope was a compromise that I caused by limiting my budget and would not have been my first choice.

You could always sell yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a one hundred yard zero I shoot out to 500 yards using the reticle, at 8x the second focal plane is not an issue. Inside of 100 I crank the power down if needed for the wider field of view and then the reticle not being true doesn't matter because the distances are close enough. </div></div>

You jogged my memory. I was using a Nightforce 3-15x50mm with the NP-R2 reticle for those matches. With 10" targets from 100yds - 425yds I felt the 15x was slowing me down. The 8x and calibrated reticle did work much better. Under those circumstances the TMR was borderline too fine. Running, breathing hard, sweat in my eyes, the little half-mil lines sometimes seemed to just disappear.

I guess I can live with the 2nd focal plane. As you said, there's not much need to use the ranging reticle at <8x anyway.

When I bought it I told myself the mixed-units didn't matter because I wouldn't be dialing anyway. Fast-forward 3yrs of reading this forum and now mixed-units are evil!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make a barber pole with moa increments. Looking through the scope at 100 yards, dial power down until 1 mil on the reticle subtends 4 moa ( shouldn't take much, probably around 7X or so). Make an index mark on the power ring and tube. Now you can turn to your moa index and have an moa reticle, in 2 moa increments. Or dial up to full power, and have a mil reticle. </div></div>

I had heard of that before, but I'd completely forgotten about it. Thank you.