• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 owners?

maxtrax

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Lowell Michigan
I am looking into getting a scope for my rifle. After looking around I have come to the conclusion that the Leupold Mark 4 in the 6.5-20 x 50 LR/T M1 scope. I just have a couple questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me.

Is the front end threaded?
Can I get sunshades for a new model? (I can't find any for models after 2004.)
Anyone recommend the Tactical Milling rather than MIL-Dot? Whats the difference/advantages?

Thanks for the input. Maybe more questions to come.
Maxtrax

Re: Leupold Mark 4 owners?

I believe all mk4's are threaded for a sunshade, my 6.5-25x M1 is and my 3.5-10x40 m3 was as well.

TMR is defiantly a step in the right direction...but one can get it done with a mildot just as well

TMR is good to go. See below.

Threaded for the Leupold ARD

This is a pic of my 4.5-14x50mm Illum TMR with the Leupy MK4 ARD, as a refrence of the pattern.
MK4ARD.jpg

Also the TMR pattern breakdown.
TMR_Subtensions02.gif

Hope this helps dude

From what I've seen it doesn't cost any more for the Tac Milling so I will probably go with that. The pics definitely helped! (Leupold's website doesn't show the difference really good)

96C- The ARD doesn't help with sunglare when looking through the scope does it? I do quite a bit of hunting at sundown. I run into problems with the sun when it gets down toward the horizon. The ARD is mainly to prevent mirror glare from being seen right?

Do the standard Leupold sunshades fit these?
Thanks again.

Hi mate,
the ARD will reduce the amount of light coming into the objective lens which does darken the image slightly, might be an issue for you however the glare should also be reduced to only being bad on a much more straight on angle as the honeycomb is about 1cm deep and matte in colour so angled light transmission will be greatly reduced.
As you said though, the ARD was designed to eliminate lens flash for concealment.

The standard sunshades that come with the scope still fit over the ARD (pictured above).

The Illuminated reticle feature might suit you if you like hunting at sun down, if you havent considered it. theres not so much of a price difference from memory, it's got about 11 different light intensity settings. I personally dont use it but I have it for the zombie invasion! :p

Thanks. So the scope comes with sunshades already? It didn't say so I was planning on having to order those separately. It would be great if I didn't have to though.

Is the Ill. reticle really that great? I heard that people don't really like it because it gets in the way. Also, do I have to worry about the illuminator burning out? It would suck to get it and have the illuminator not work a couple years down the road.

I got the Mark 4 3.5-10 x 40 M3 TMR. I've also had the reg. mildot before. The TMR is definitely better--much more precise. I had to get the sunshades separately. My scope came with plastic flip covers. I've since upgraded to the Alumina covers--definitely a step up as well. They screw on the front. If you will be shooting at targets less than 12" then the 20X will work well, otherwise I find the 10x is plenty all the way out to 1K yd. I shoot my steel 12 X 15" steel plate with my 10X without difficulty. If you will be hunting with it, the low power on the scope can be a big plus. 6.5X may be a bit much on the low end--you may want something that will go a bit lower. I don't have an illuminated reticle. I had one on my last scope and never used it. And the batteries were always running down as I would constantly forget to turn it off, or it would get bumped/twisted on by accident. Kinda a pain in the rear to find the batteries are dead when you really need to use it. Just my experience.

TMR ROCKS IMHO! Especially like the "open" center, and ranging with it is much more precise for me than Mil-Dots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrrifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TMR ROCKS IMHO! Especially like the "open" center, and ranging with it is much more precise for me than Mil-Dots.</div></div>
+1 TMR is the best reticle Leupold has, the open center gives you the perfect gap to pinpoint your bullseye.

Thanks johngfoster and everyone else. I am planning on getting the TMR Reticle. I probably won't get the illuminated reticle since most of the time in the past I haven't had a problem seeing it. I will probably go with the 6.5-20 since this rifle will be set up for varmint and woodchuck hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxtrax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. So the scope comes with sunshades already?</div></div>

A sunshade didn't come standard with any of my Mk-4's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxtrax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. So the scope comes with sunshades already?</div></div>

A sunshade didn't come standard with any of my Mk-4's. </div></div>

That is what I needed to know.

Any recommendations on where to get it from? I was looking at MidwayUSA but they don't offer the Leupold 50mm ARD. I would also like to get a 4" and a 2.5" sunshade as well so I have complete versatility.

I got mine from Donnie at Bigrivertactical.com. Great price and service. Send him an e-mail with the model you want from the website and he will send a price quote.

I just checked and he doesn't have the scope I was looking at. I also didn't see any sunshades either, doesn't help that I don't have a ton of time to look right now. I will look into him a little bit deeper later today or tomorrow after work.

it does have an affect on light transmission, it's noticable however not a hindrence in day shooting. at dawn / dusk it can be slightly annoying however you can unthread it and stash it somewhere protected if you want, simple thread in.

you notice the difference, yes.

The scope will be going on my DPMS .308 I don't mind having to unscrew the ARD and stash it when light conditions change.

+1 TMR
It took a little time for me to adjust to it.
I just mounted one on my partners rifle this week and he is going through the same thing.
It is a very short adjustment time though, couple of hours behind the rifle dry firing and shooting I got comfortable with it.
I love the open center especially when you are at 25 yards shooting a 1/8" dot or back at 300 shooting at a 3 moa target or smaller you know exactly "where" you are on the target.

I just picked up a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm with the TMR reticle yesterday. So far, I'm really impressed (though I’ve yet to mount it to my rifle). I love the reticle and the overall quality seems very good. Unfortunately, the Seekins rings/base I ordered won't be here until Monday. I'll give a full report in the near future. This is my first precision rig. The MK4 is going on NIB Remington 5R in .308.

BTW, I paid $1,049 locally at Piestraks Gun Shop, www.piestraksgunshop.com

FFP + mil clicks + TMR at least used to be umpossible combo from Leupy. Dont know about custom shop though.

Am I the only one slightly dissapointed with the mark 4 series?

I have a hard time getting it to focus right at 20x and I feel the clicks are just mushy,

shooting it side by side of my Diavaria 6-24x56 I find the TMR great but the rest is sort of not so good.

Best regard Chris