• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold mark 4 spotter, yay or nay?

Hykin_C

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thinking of purchasing one of these. What are your guys thoughts on em? I would be getting it with the TMR reticle. Also if you know where I can get one for the best price lemme know
smile.gif
. Thanks!

Hykin, C

Re: Leupold mark 4 spotter, yay or nay?

I have one and it is great. Does the job well. I am sure there are better ones out there, but for the money it was worth it for me.

Nothing better for double the money. If I was buying another it would be from Brady at SWFA.

I have used a Gold Ring HD and Mark IVs in the military. I think they are very good, never had any complaints. They can definitly handle some abuse. Guys in my old unit have had them fall off the atv a few times and been in a bag when thrown out a helo. They are very reliable.

Leupy makes good glass, should be very happy with them. I have used them and they are good.

Like the above have stated, good glass and very durable.

I love mine. Good glass. First focal plane mils. Pretty slick cover it comes in, as well.

I'd like it if they'd put the tripod screw on the "top" so you could run it upside down.
CW

j.Baum, what's the difference if any in optical quality between the mark 4 and the golden ring HD? Thinking about getting one of these spotters, but not sure which model to get. There's not really any place near me to go compare side by side.

I've got the gold ring HD and don't think the optics are all that to be honest but for the price i don't think you can complain.

Just curious, do the mil dot and TMR reticles have posts that go to the edges of the FOV?

reticles don't go to edge

just my opinion...

ergonomics and form factor are outstanding.
12-40x range is appropriate.
glass is rather annoying. every one i've looked through has horrible fisheye, not just at edges.
TMR reticle is works well.

overall, pros on the form factor is worth the cons of the glass. if you're looking for something to drag around matches with you, it's a good choice. if you're a glass snob and mostly on a square range, there are much better choices.

Yah man like everyone said, durable as hell and great glass. I'm saving up to buy one. I'm thinking about getting a mildot version vs. A tmr version because it's faster for me to interpret trace location with a mildot. Easier to count big dots vs hashes for me.
Yah but I love the old green bagged mk4 spotter. Great tool

-edit
Well I guess not everyone said they have great glass, but unless you wanna drop the nest egg on a Kowa or a Zeiss something like that they're awesome.

About two weeks ago I picked up this spotter with TMR reticle (barely used) on the optics sales forum. I wrestled with deciding on other, larger spotters, but finally decided on this one due to meeting my "requiresments" better; lighter weight, smaller size, reticle, suitable power, and fair price. Still awaiting field use, but I've been pleased just checking out critters in the back 40 through the back window.

I think they work great- if you have the money why not.

Another option is the Bushnell nockoff which also has a mil-dot reticle. My brother has one. It seemed just about identical in performance to me, but I only handled it briefly.

They can be bought for $400. For my money I'd get a Bushnell every time. The Leupold is awesome but the 1800$ or whatever it now is price is obscene.

I've had one(w/tmr) for a few years and have been pleased with it's performance. The only complaint so far is the rubber eye piece that is toast in short order. It has decent clarity and decent light gathering and is very handy for ranging. A mount point on the top is a great idea.