• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 5 1-6 optic Military contract

Count VonFuhrman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2018
From AR15.com: A trusted source recently mentioned that this 1-6 optic exists. It was built to try and snag a SOCOM contract. SFP, Tremor8 reticle designed by Todd Hodnett. Anyone heard of this one?

Last edited:
Why would you combine a SFP with a Tremor reticle?

It certainly calls the whole "trusted source" verbiage into question.

So they lost to sig and now are suing over the award

The issue is it was suppose to be drop in reticle and after the t8 was finished( never seen a picture) sig wanted a lot of money to update and Leo said the award was unjust (if I recall correctly)

From AR15.com: A trusted source recently mentioned that this 1-6 optic exists. It was built to try and snag a SOCOM contract. SFP, Tremor8 reticle designed by Todd Hodnett. Anyone heard of this one?
Bingo. Someone else gets it.
I think the premise is you would only need the reticle on max mag and it’s lighter/cheaper as sfp

Reactions: ddavis
Just using the Tremor reticle in a 6x LPVO at all feels like lipstick on a pig. Let alone SFP and only accurate at max power.

Reactions: Primus
I thought that given it’s a MK 5, magnification is 5x so a 1-5.

Like the 3.6-18, 5-25?

Isn’t that like the Mk6 with their 1-6, 3-18

Or the Mk8 with 1.1-8, 3.5-25?

Last edited:
I thought that given it’s a MK 5, magnification is 5x so a 1-5.

Like the 3.6-18, 5-25?

Isn’t that like the Mk6 with their 1-6, 3-18

Or the Mk8 with 1.1-8, 3.5-25?
No idea if it will be called mark 5 but they did make a new 1-6...

Here is an article on the protest

Interesting the different theories. I frankly prefer SFP for lpvo. If I need a Xmas tree reticle, I’m going to be at max power anyway, I’m not going to be ranging at 3X. SFP is better w/o battery too, FFP lvpo suck at 1X without illumination.

Interesting the different theories. I frankly prefer SFP for lpvo. If I need a Xmas tree reticle, I’m going to be at max power anyway, I’m not going to be ranging at 3X. SFP is better w/o battery too, FFP lvpo suck at 1X without illumination.
Want it guess how I know you have never been in a firefight?

LPV suck so bad on 1x that delta was using them almost 20 years ago.

It's a non issue and FFP is king. SFP is for cucks and dirt shooters.

Reactions: Will Fennell

just found this thread. Hope they release it. I had just posted a thread hoping they’d do a 1-6.

“I know I’m probably in the minority, but I wish Leupold would make this in the following configuration in the MK5 series as niche optic for a 5.56 Recce or a 7.62 lighter SPR build. New Leupold MK5HD 1-6, FFP, H27D or similar Horus-ish reticle with a fine center crosshair for dialing, Lockable ZeroStop .1 milrad exposed turrets, daylight bright dot, 17 oz optic. Niche, Yeti, ???. ?”

Reactions: PBWalsh
It’s tricky making a FFP reticle that still works well on low power and high power. Most I’ve seen or used work well on 1x, or highX but not both. That is why I’m a fan of SFP on a 1-6x. In that range- if I’m shooting far enough out to need the BDC or holdovers, I’ll be on 6x anyway. A lot of the FFP designs rely on illumination to be useful on 1x. The problem with that is they also have very short battery life on settings high enough to be daylight useful. A good SFP reticle really doesn’t even need daylight illumination. I a big fan of the newer Trijicon “segmented circle” type. Plenty bold enough for close up engagements, but a small center portion for precise aiming when needed.

Reactions: Sabre672
Leupolds response to this topic is:
“We might have good news for you next January...stay tuned!”

^^^Not surprising. Day late and a dollar short.

We'll all have Vortex 1-10x, Nightforce 1-8s, or whatever Steiner is working on by then. If not already. ;)

@RHINOWSO

I already have the Vortex RG3 1-10x. Not saying it wouldn’t work for my 5.56 build, but not really what I’m looking for.

The NX8 is very appealing footprint and weight wise. I wish the reticle were updated, similar to what Trijicon did with their lineup or even better, an abbreviated Xmas Ret w/finer center stadia. Someone had posted nightforce intended updating the optic. I’d be thrilled for .1 mil adjustments also.

What is Steiner rumored for release?

I for one will be elated if a reputable optics manufacturer, Leupold or otherwise can give me a 1-6 or 1-8 that I want. To me, the wheel hasn’t been invented yet. A lot are close though if they were willing to tweak em...

^^^Not surprising. Day late and a dollar short.

We'll all have Vortex 1-10x, Nightforce 1-8s, or whatever Steiner is working on by then. If not already. ;)