• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 5 M1C3 Rifle Scope

blownPrimer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2019
My first attempt at a x30 ish scope didn't go well, some of you may recall I tried the valdada terminator and it arrived with major issues. Midway took it back and fully refunded with no hesitation--but I still wanted something higher power for my 338 lapua savage 110. So today I came across a fresh shipment of these and bought one with the impact 60 MOA reticle.

Any thoughts/experience/advice?

Last edited:
Forgot to mention--it's 35mm Tube 7-35x 56mm Side Focus Zero Stop First Focal Impact Matte

Just got mine last night and mounted this morning on a SCAR 20s. Mark 5HD 7-35x56 Tremor3 illuminated. No opinion yet as it needs range time first.

You're the one with the scope. How about you give us your oponion? Have you mounted it? Have you been to the range with it?
Still just a twinkle in my eye since I still haven't received it--but of course I will post my results when I get it all set up.

Just got mine last night and mounted this morning on a SCAR 20s. Mark 5HD 7-35x56 Tremor3 illuminated. No opinion yet as it needs range time first.
I thought long and hard about that set-up, but in the end decided on the impact 60 since I thought maybe the tremor might become a bit too obstrusive when scaling up magnification--being FFP.

I'm use to gridded reticles but everyone needs to decide for themselves. Been running H59 for a while and wanted to try something different.

Reactions: blownPrimer
Just took delivery on the scope from UPS and eagerly opened up the box--and the first thing I notice is the scope tube has some funky weird staining--looks a bit like uneven paint job or an oil stain. Good God--it seems I no matter what I try I get a "anomaly" of some sort when I buy these high end scopes. I suppose I should just ignore it if I want to try out and hopefully functionally there is nothing wrong.

There is a massive thread around here on the Mk5. TONS of information and feedback to be found.

Reactions: Jonnyb0381
OK--So I finally got around to mounting it up today (leveling and removing cant)--and took it out to get on paper (and try out the Hornady 285 gr 338 eldm's for the first time in my savage 110 338 LM). In the spirit of full disclosure--I'm mostly an AR homebuilder enthusiast and so rarely shoot much at longer ranges, so you can season with salt as you see fit.

I fitted the scope onto the stock 20 MOA rail that came with the rifle with American Rifle Company 35mm rings. BTW--the savage 110 338LM is one of the best commercial production rifles I've ever had the luck of buying, felt recoil is hard to tell the difference from a conventional 308 rifle IMO. No matter what cartridge or load I've shot through it, it tends to make very small groups consistently. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot anything beyond 200 yds with it yet. That's a send-it level underneath

The turret clicks are solid "through the glove palpable" (important where I live since half the year is winter) and feature a button lock on the elevation turret. It's a solidly built scope and a bit lighter than the night force I have and my brief association with IOR Terminator. Unfortunately I didn't do a zero check before I left, the scope elevation at the lowest setting I was still 4 MOA above my POA at the range--all I need to do is simply pop the turret dial and adjust.

I set the paper target up at 100 yds and shot west into the setting sun--pretty challenging for any glass. Obviously the range was very short--but I couldn't help but notice the exceptional sharpness of the reticle no matter what power I dialed it up or down to. The image field remains undistorted all the way to the edge of the glass/objective.

The 60 MOA impact reticle itself is spectacular--at least to me. When I first looked through it I was worried about how usable it really would be scaling up and down from 7 to 35 magnification in an FFP--turns out I need not have worried. It's so good, in fact, that I suspect a good shooter (which I'm not) could easily use it at it's lowest 7x magnification to 600 yds and maybe beyond. At lower powers the crosshairs appear as well...very fine and precise crosshairs. As you scale up the magnification a small round gap at the center of the crosshairs scales into view--in other words as the crosshair gets coarser--the precision of the center aim point and the bracketing of the 2 and 4 MOA sub tensions take over, essentially giving the same extreme precise aim point capability through the whole range of magnifications. Unfortunately, my written explanation I'm sure falls short--but it's a super-slick set-up and I hope someone does a video of it explaining it better.

I picked a random load weight off the top of my head of 80.8 grs of H1000 with the 285 gr eldm's and loaded up ten of them. Took me 4 shots to get on paper, and here are the next 6 shots.

So far, couldn't be happier with both rifle and scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageRatSafaris
Next steps--develope and test a ladder of cartridges to find the 'sweet spot" load, then do a tracking test, and then see if I can try to shoot long someplace (when you live in the most heavily forested state--that's not easy to find).

..... onto the stock 20 MOA rail that came with the rifle with American Rifle Company 35mm rings. BTW--the savage 110 338LM is one of the best commercial production rifles I've ever had the luck of buying, felt recoil is hard to tell the.....

Give it time, and with additional experience, your opinion will change.

Glad your rifle is shooting well for you.

Give it time, and with additional experience, your opinion will change.

Glad your rifle is shooting well for you.
True that--I need more time and experience. I have to say though that every savage rifle I've bought--even the cheapest Axis at $275--has been able to group under .5 MOA, at least when I got it. I haven't explored the realm of custom rifles yet--though I have built some of my own AR's with custom barrels.

Oh, of no doubt, Savage rifles tend to be VERY accurate rifles out of the box. There's no question of that (with a few exceptions). It's the other aspects of the rifle that are wanting (feeding and extraction).

Savage rifles are the "AR's" of the bolt gun world.

Oh, of no doubt, Savage rifles tend to be VERY accurate rifles out of the box. There's no question of that (with a few exceptions). It's the other aspects of the rifle that are wanting (feeding and extraction).

Savage rifles are the "AR's" of the bolt gun world.

LOL I like that, the "AR's of the bolt gun world." Right now my skills are way below the price point of a good custom gun, but after I get real hand's on experience and knowledge with long range shooting I'll be able to make informed upgrade decisions.

The cheapest centerfire rifle I've ever purchased was a savage 308 axis, when I got it just right and didn't breath on it causing the stock to flex, it could do this:

Last edited: